An Apology And A Request

26 replies to this topic

#1 Katotonic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

To those of you who were on my team in a match on Terra Therma with me around 2pm EST on Jan 15, 2015 I wanted to apologize.

I was in my KGC assaulting the center with my lance when my 11 month old son started bawling and I just turned my mech in the opposite direction and left it on autopilot as I left the computer to make sure he was ok. My hope was I would come back quickly and still be alive and of use to the team.

Instead, my lance got wiped out when I returned and I was holding my son so could not play anyways. For not being able to support the team, I apologize.

However, when I did this, one person in my lance started calling me useless and several other less nice things. Now I realize that neither he nor anyone else on my team could know what was happening in real life on my end and I can also appreciate that it would look like I abandoned them. But when I explained why I left I only received more abuse from this person.

Therefore, with the realization that this person probably will never apologize (even if they read this thread), as they are probably a troll, I would like to request from the player base as a whole...

RELAX

This is a game and sometimes, **** happens that pulls you away or makes you do messed up or bad things in game. If you see a teammate doing something strange, stupid, or silly... ask, talk to them, even call them out. Maybe they are "useless" and worse TRYING to mess things up, BUT if you then get a decent explanation, back off, realize this is a game where we are all here to have fun.

So please, next time you are about to flame/attack/berate someone (and I have been there too) stop and think a second so we can make the game more enjoyable for all.

#2 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

I thank you for taking this brave, bold stance about such a serious matter.

We will ensure that when the mob turns up to tar and feather you for your actions they are as gentle as possible.

Edited by Raggedyman, 15 January 2015 - 03:03 PM.

#3 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

3/10

On a side note, they have those front-load baby holders...I would invest in one. Worked wonders for me...and Depends.

Ooh, and get the forward facing baby-front-loaded holder so the kid will look upon and bath in the glory of battle!

And on the Depends side of things, I recommend the extra absorbent ones.

Edited by Aphoticus, 15 January 2015 - 12:27 PM.

#4 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

You don't need to apologize to internet people for that

#5 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

Yeah, usually a worthwhile reason is enough to calm my rage towards an in game idiot. But typically, you get nothing back because the person is being a legitimate idiot.

But when RL calls, I guess its RL > Game.

#6 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

you shouldn't have said anything, even if your feels did get hurt. next time just fake a d/c and roll another match after your child has calmed down, no harm, no foul. you are in the right to address your child but not in the right to demand understanding or special treatment. its not worth the explanation, its not worth the frustration to both sides, and it certainly isn't worth this giant post

#7 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

It always seems when you under the gun in game the phone rings, someone knocks on the door or the dog is loose. I skip the baby thing though but glad your a responsible parent. I would rather just practice making them. :)

When people give you a ration for it remind the morons its only a game and no one actually died.

#8 Trashhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 15 January 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

(...)
you are in the right to address your child but not in the right to demand understanding or special treatment.
(...)

Forgive me, Geist Null, for being utterly stupid, but exactly where did Katotonic demanded "understanding or special treatment" ?
(No, I am not a Troll, just a German that still tries to learn English, and I am especially bad at noticing nuances. I haven't found the part you are referring to, and looking for some insight into the English language here. Thank you.)

P.S.: I like you name, Geist Null. :D

Edited by Trashhead, 15 January 2015 - 12:49 PM.

#9 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:54 PM

View PostAphoticus, on 15 January 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

Ooh, and get the forward facing baby-front-loaded holder so the kid will look upon and bathe in the glory of battle!

The mental image that goes along with this is awesome, lol.

#10 Xmith

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

Everybody would have a different response if any.

If it was me, I would let them have it right back. I've done this once before and I will do it again.

I have no problem what so ever in dishing out their own medicine.

#11 Rushyo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 15 January 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

You don't need to apologize to internet people for that

'Internet people' are people. The idea that people on the other end of a keyboard are just an 'internet person' was exactly the rationale the person would have used for berating them in the first place. People are people; the medium is irrelevant.

#12 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

View PostAphoticus, on 15 January 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

3/10

On a side note, they have those front-load baby holders...I would invest in one. Worked wonders for me...and Depends.

Ooh, and get the forward facing baby-front-loaded holder so the kid will look upon and bath in the glory of battle!

And on the Depends side of things, I recommend the extra absorbent ones.

I would try that, but my nearly two year old will not fit in one, he's almost 3 feet tal (34", should be 36" by his second birthday in march), and nearly 35 pounds... I think my back and shoulders would die from trying to hold him in one of those...

#13 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

I think this is what you are looking for...Posted Image

#14 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 15 January 2015 - 01:39 PM, said:

I think this is what you are looking for...Posted Image

Too bad it's a Sunder...

#15 Elkfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 483 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:19 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 15 January 2015 - 01:39 PM, said:

Too bad it's a Sunder...

What's wrong with the Sunder?

#16 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

View PostElkfire, on 15 January 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

What's wrong with the Sunder?

A lot....

It is an IS abomination of Clan Omni-mech tech.... Still it's not the eye sore that is the Uziel is...

But all joking aside, to make a Sunder really shine, you need to take it with C3 slaved mechs, and most of the stock alt. configs for it, did not mesh well with C3 slaved mechs at the time it was released.

#17 DivideByZer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:46 PM

Either way, it takes more than 1 bad teammate to lose a game.

#18 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

View PostKatotonic, on 15 January 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

To those of you who were on my team in a match on Terra Therma with me around 2pm EST on Jan 15, 2015 I wanted to apologize.

I was in my KGC assaulting the center with my lance when my 11 month old son started bawling and I just turned my mech in the opposite direction and left it on autopilot as I left the computer to make sure he was ok. My hope was I would come back quickly and still be alive and of use to the team.

Instead, my lance got wiped out when I returned and I was holding my son so could not play anyways. For not being able to support the team, I apologize.

However, when I did this, one person in my lance started calling me useless and several other less nice things. Now I realize that neither he nor anyone else on my team could know what was happening in real life on my end and I can also appreciate that it would look like I abandoned them. But when I explained why I left I only received more abuse from this person.

Therefore, with the realization that this person probably will never apologize (even if they read this thread), as they are probably a troll, I would like to request from the player base as a whole...

RELAX

This is a game and sometimes, **** happens that pulls you away or makes you do messed up or bad things in game. If you see a teammate doing something strange, stupid, or silly... ask, talk to them, even call them out. Maybe they are "useless" and worse TRYING to mess things up, BUT if you then get a decent explanation, back off, realize this is a game where we are all here to have fun.

So please, next time you are about to flame/attack/berate someone (and I have been there too) stop and think a second so we can make the game more enjoyable for all.

Have kids, understand your predicament, don't feel bad, +1.

Having said that, you just need to make yourself immune to the criticism, as it's still going to happen.

If my kids were distraught, I used to put them on my lap and give them the mouse, so not only did I disappear for a few moments, but when I returned my teammates would have been treated to the spectacle of my mech moving like it was being driven by a... well, 4 year old. Apologies for all the FF.

We practice in the training grounds now, and my now older eldest was getting right into it - but lack of fine motor skills frustrated her. So... trying to help with patient aiming, I made a stipulation (and poster) that she only aims for faces. I tell her to take as much time as she wants, but only ever aim for faces.

She's pretty good now. We played a game a little while ago in her hot pink King Crab (you can get some great colours on the blended reward mech), and while she only scored around 150 damage (still pretty good for her), she had three headshots (two were kills). I was flabbergasted. It was magical. PARENTING! At first, I was cringing as she was taking hits, but she calmly steadied the mouse through a hail of incoming fire, and BLAM.

Plus, we got to experience her Mother walking in to hear:

"Hello Mr Robot. TIME TO HAVE YOUR FACE BLOWN OFF, MR ROBOT"
*blam, headshot*
"I DID IT! AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA"
*fist-bump BLELELELELELEH*

Wife said (not angry) "What if she talks about this in show and tell?"
And I got that far-away look she recognizes as my happy place.

"And then, dad showed me how to get consistent headshots, and I blew faces to bits, and dad was PROUD!"

#19 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 15 January 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

Have kids, understand your predicament, don't feel bad, +1.

Having said that, you just need to make yourself immune to the criticism, as it's still going to happen.

If my kids were distraught, I used to put them on my lap and give them the mouse, so not only did I disappear for a few moments, but when I returned my teammates would have been treated to the spectacle of my mech moving like it was being driven by a... well, 4 year old. Apologies for all the FF.

We practice in the training grounds now, and my now older eldest was getting right into it - but lack of fine motor skills frustrated her. So... trying to help with patient aiming, I made a stipulation (and poster) that she only aims for faces. I tell her to take as much time as she wants, but only ever aim for faces.

She's pretty good now. We played a game a little while ago in her hot pink King Crab (you can get some great colours on the blended reward mech), and while she only scored around 150 damage (still pretty good for her), she had three headshots (two were kills). I was flabbergasted. It was magical. PARENTING! At first, I was cringing as she was taking hits, but she calmly steadied the mouse through a hail of incoming fire, and BLAM.

Plus, we got to experience her Mother walking in to hear:

"Hello Mr Robot. TIME TO HAVE YOUR FACE BLOWN OFF, MR ROBOT"
*blam, headshot*
"I DID IT! AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA"
*fist-bump BLELELELELELEH*

Wife said (not angry) "What if she talks about this in show and tell?"
And I got that far-away look she recognizes as my happy place.

"And then, dad showed me how to get consistent headshots, and I blew faces to bits, and dad was PROUD!"

I've been letting my Toddler pick out my mech from time to time, he likes my Summoner's.... I think it's something to do with whom he is named after...

Maybe when he turns 3 I'll let him try aiming with the mouse.

#20 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

Apologize to your kid, if you won't leave the game for him. You owe us nothing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users