Reduce Verticality Of All Maps

8 replies to this topic

#1 DivideByZer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 06:54 PM

I've been on break since last summer from MWO. I like that there are new maps, but I noticed that hitboxing of the levels seems to not be improving.

My feature suggestion is to reduce the vertical slope of maps. One reason the hitboxing is so noticeable is that there are many terrain features placed to partially block view of mechs.

Reducing vertical slopes would improve the precision of the hitboxes, since the polygon overlay wouldn't have as many extreme angles, which might be part of why a hitbox interpolation has so many errors. Being able to reduce polys in less critical areas should free up space for more critical areas (tree roots, crystal formations, etc)

When I say verticality, I mean shrinking big hills, and especially reducing the number of vertical landscape walls. Terrain features that fall between the height of the shortest mech and tallest mech could then be detailed out more.
Vertical slope means reducing the amount of cliff faces in the maps, however my original post mentioned verticality, because there are some map features in the maps that are simply just unreasonably tall. Terrain features that fall in the realm of the height of a mech could then be hitboxed better.

Another solution would be to just remove the offending terrain pieces (trees, crystal formations etc).

**edit** changed "Verticality" to "vertical slope"

Edited by DivideByZer0, 15 January 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#2 SpiralFace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:04 PM

Nope.

If I had to say, I think the increased verticality is something that we actually need MORE of in this game.

The reason mostly revovles around clan Omni's with locked JJ's.

Its tough to justify 5 JJ's in this game when there is no verticle gameplay. Verticle gameplay is currently only a factor on a grand total of 3 maps.

Mining colony
Varidian Bog
HPG Manifold

Every other map verticality is a negligible aspect of the map design, and as a result, mechs who are HARD LOCKED into their ability to climb vertical surfaces are punished because they can't "min max" their load outs to bland 1 or 2 JJ loadouts.

Without more verticality in the levels, there is no point to equipping higher numbers of JJ's on mechs, and it robs those mechs that are forced into those roles of one of the few things that makes them good on the maps.

Hit boxes on the maps are a separate issue that needs to be handled on its own. Things that expand game play options like the verticality of the maps are not the enemy in these cases.

#3 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

dude, vertical maps are the best maps
flat fields suck

#4 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

You don't fix things by making other things worse to accommodate them.

#5 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

In truth, I don't actually hate clearly vertical maps. I just hate Mining Colony's method of "verticality", bc it teases you at every corner with it's super low, but invariably steep inclines that force you to walk a mile and a half to reach the ramp you need to get up the height of a Centurion's knee (assuming you don't have jump jets). Reminds me of New Jersey roads and highways.

In maps like Tourmaline Desert, the elevations are pretty clear cut that you won't make it up the side of most of canyon walls on foot alone.

Edited by Savage Sweets, 15 January 2015 - 01:17 PM.

#6 DivideByZer0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for the responses!
I probably shouldn't have packaged this with the hitboxing issue. I think some of you are thinking of an extreme of this situation. Also, I can see why what I wrote might have been taken that way.
I'm not talking about making every map completely flat, I'm talking about removing all of these unrealistic cliffs and vertical surfaces in natural maps (I like city combat, but I like it in cities). I just want more realistic looking terrrain. And I think that as a byproduct, the way the terrain is designed makes the terrain hitboxing problem worse than it could be. Two birds, one stone. (It's a big stone, okay? =P )

What's the point of having a 50 foot tall stompy robot with legs if you can't walk over any of the terrain? Might as well drive a tank (which is exactly what would happen in the MW universe, since tanks are dirt cheap compared to mechs). The whole point of mechs is that they should be able to conquer the terrain, not be enslaved by it.

I don't buy the argument that this would hurt the JJ community at all. I'll sound like an old man, but in TT (as well as previous MW games), jump jets could also give your mech a speed burst. There will always be buildings and cliffs to jump up onto.
The poster who mentioned forest colony, and mining colony might understand what I am saying. Theres all these hills, but I can't climb any of them. The end effect is that the battle occurs along these "lanes" of traffic.
**edit**
Also, this would increase the size of some of the well known choke points in the maps. I notice many games where there are 5+ mechs in a 2 mech wide choke point. This increases friendly fire incidents, and reduces the effectiveness teamwork.

Edited by DivideByZer0, 15 January 2015 - 03:09 PM.

#7 Firewuff

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:33 AM

Thats the point. There should always be impassable terrain. They make you think more and not charge straight down the middle when you know you cant just back out. Also canynon map for example has a lotnof ar3as even heavies can go up. You just need to know them

#8 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

View PostFirewuff, on 16 January 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

There should always be impassable terrain. They make you think more and not charge straight down the middle when you know you cant just back out.

I agree that there should always be impassable terrain, but the fact that Battle Mechs (BMs) have knees & legs instead of wheels, should allow them to traverse certain low-elevation terrain that they can't at the moment, for whatever foolish reasons.

View PostFirewuff, on 16 January 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

Canyon map for example has a lot of areas even heavies can go up. You just need to know them.

Not as many as one would think. Many are, in fact, difficult to traverse bc of the absurdly steep angles.
There are the two large ramps, but those are suicidal most of the time.

#9 Firewuff

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 17 January 2015 - 01:21 AM

If you look for the 'gravel' there are places near each apawn point aside from the 2 main ramps all along the river path there are 4 or 5 places assults can move to the top. On the opposite side there are at least 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users