9 replies to this topic

#1 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:23 AM

I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me what my issue is, since admittedly I'm not very tech savvy, especially when I'm barely home and cant look things up lol.
Anyway, system runs fine (appears too), I go to shut down and it shuts down the OS (Windows 7) but the hardware, or atleast the fans and part of the hardware, its hard to tell, stay on and I have to hold the power button down to get it to completely turn off. But it will boot up just fine.
Anyone know what this could be, its been happening for about a month and I've not thought it was a serious issue, just annoying to have to go through.

#2 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

Greetings,

Your 'power button' or menu switch is or has been changed to 'sleep mode.
- By holding it you engage the full off mode.
(that can be the bottom left icon or/and the physical button)

Right click on the 'start' or icon on bottom left of taskbar, select properties,
- from the 3 tabs select 'start menu',
- see what the setting is for the power button action.

Also when you normally click the 'start button' or task bar left icon, the items that are displayed should give the same options. That should be the normal method to shut down the computer, as some background programs may take a few seconds to completely and securely close down. Just hitting the 'Off' power button could have issues and loss of info for programs.
See attached image:

Posted Image

- your options should be:
~ shutdown, switch user, log off, lock, restart, sleep

You can also set the computer to 'go to sleep' if your away or haven't touched anything for a set time, this can also be set to 'turn off'. So it will do that function by itself, with the delay that you select.
- can also be set to just turn the monitor off, wait, and if your still not back start the shutdown.
- For each action you can set if your user password is required to 'turn things back on' from whatever items were 'put to sleep'.

Hope that helps,
Aim True and Run Cool,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 31 January 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#3 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

Could be heat

Edit: It would help if I actually read the post before commenting :D

9er had a good suggestion

Edited by ninjitsu, 31 January 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#4 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:25 PM

I tried what 9er said, it was already set to 'shutdown' instead of sleep :(

#5 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:30 PM

There's a joke somewhere in here about PGI changing Override Shutdown to a toggle... but I'm not gonna...

wait...

... it's already too late, isn't it?

#6 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

Greetings,

Just so your aware, when the computer does 'shut down' there is/may still be power to the motherboard, the power supply, and possibly some LED's.
- Those with a water cooling system actually may need these powered after the system shuts down.
- Allowing any excess heat to be removed, and some power supplies have thermal controlled fans that will stay on for a bit to remove unit heat.

As long as the power cord is plugged into the power supply, it's switch is on, there is 'live' energy in the board.
- Also why you need to unplug the wall cord if your doing anything inside the computer, and remove any PS stored energy by pressing the start button. (drains out the capacitor from the PS, most of the time!.)

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 31 January 2015 - 05:17 PM.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,666 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:46 PM

What happens when you shut down the system without keeping the power button pushed in to shut everything down? Does it start up ok?

Also be advised that the everything being shut down is being delayed due to updates being installed. Forcing the system shutdown can prevent or corrupt any updates.

#8 MechWarrior4172571

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:37 PM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 31 January 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me what my issue is, since admittedly I'm not very tech savvy, especially when I'm barely home and cant look things up lol.
Anyway, system runs fine (appears too), I go to shut down and it shuts down the OS (Windows 7) but the hardware, or atleast the fans and part of the hardware, its hard to tell, stay on and I have to hold the power button down to get it to completely turn off. But it will boot up just fine.
Anyone know what this could be, its been happening for about a month and I've not thought it was a serious issue, just annoying to have to go through.

Go into your BIOS setup and turn off everything that has the word "green" in it. Unless you are a vegetarian or a vegan.. you don't need that stuff and that is what might be causing those issues. You might also want to blow compressed air into everything inside of your computer--accumulation of dust (including inside of the power supply) can be causing overheating and consequent problems.

#9 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:49 PM

Its a thing which happens, seen quite a few computers do it but cant think of the solution.
Half the ancient testbench computers at my work do it, holding the power button forces the power supply to dropout after a period.
Final step of the shutdown process fails to give the power off signal or something.

Reset bios defaults is probably an easy place to start.

#10 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:18 AM

Greetings all,

Be very, very carful about any changes to the Bios.
(if you are not knowledgeable about what those settings actually mean)

- Some items in the current settings may be lost with any 'reset' to default,
- like what default drive to use as the boot drive
- Or how much RAM there is usable, especially anything over the 4Gb default setting.
- Or how the drives are configured for storage.
~ all rather Critical info!

Some elements, like the ASUS quick start to music, browser, bypassing the normal start can be disabled as they will be sitting in standby mode all the time. But that's a single unique start up feature.

- During any shutdown there are elements that need to check there status, record some settings, and store these. Also there may be an orderly process of step by step shut down for your system, depending just what is actually running. The task manager will tell you all the programs and elements that are currently running and how many resources they are consuming before you shut down the system.
- (normal Ctrl/Alt/Del to bring up that tabbed window, check under 'Processes')
~ although if your not familiar with what the programs are, look under the description header to see where they are originating from. (and how much Memory/commit they are using, very large #'s = bad.)
- There are a LOT of nefarious programs that just sit, hiding, consuming resources, that are not needed or required.
~ 'QuickTime' is very bad for this. (keeps reinstalling itself into the start up menu)
~ as well as 'So Called' browser extensions, google, bing, to name a few.

Refer to my earlier posts, your probably just putting the computer in 'sleep' mode and not shutdown mode.

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 01 February 2015 - 06:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users