Mech Acceleration Change Asap

7 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

I very rarely start topics but this is a topic I hope gets into the next update. It is that easy to do and is needed that badly.

Slow acceleration for all mechs asap eccept maybe the light mechs. The commando mech is weak as is but that a Stormcrow with its 36 streaks can basically keep up to 130+ kph commando is brutal. Just brutal.

Slowing acceleration and decceleration possibly for that matter would also make the pilot skill mean alot more and also add to the simulated weight of the mechs and to the game simulation and realism.

#2 Fate 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 02:57 PM

On a similar but different note, I'd also like the controls for throttle speed (W and S by default) to actually be able to keep up with the mech's acceleration and deceleration. The Locust actually accelerates and decelerates faster than W and S can move the speed slider, so you have to either use some weird key setup with the speed settings (numpad numbers by default) or toggle the Throttle Decay in settings (not really ideal). It makes piloting the Locust pretty awkward with the new quirks it gets.

#3 Zetrein

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 03:57 PM

View PostFate 6, on 19 January 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

On a similar but different note, I'd also like the controls for throttle speed (W and S by default) to actually be able to keep up with the mech's acceleration and deceleration.

There is a pretty easy way to get what you'd like, to an extent. I don't remember if the default key is X, or if that's just what I've bound it to, but there's a button to zero your throttle. If I need to suddenly switch to reverse, or drop my speed for a sharp turn, I don't hold S, but rather tap X and adjust my throttle from zero as needed.

View PostJohnny Z, on 19 January 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

Slowing acceleration and decceleration possibly for that matter would also make the pilot skill mean alot more and also add to the simulated weight of the mechs and to the game simulation and realism.

There's one problem with your idea here, a fair number of mechs have a stock speed of 81KPH, which is basically the low end of "fast" in Battletech. These 81KPH mechs are generally the "heavy interceptor" units, not the gunboats of the 64KPH designs, but able to put decent armor and firepower where they need to go quickly. While we don't have as many examples, there's mechs with the stock speed of 97KPH, a speed profile usually reserved for slow lights, medium scouts, and light mech hunters.

View PostJohnny Z, on 19 January 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

The commando mech is weak as is but that a Stormcrow with its 36 streaks can basically keep up to 130+ kph commando is brutal. Just brutal.

And that's the problem I have with your example here. Going by stock speed, the Stormcrow has the same speed as the Commando. Unlike the Commando, the Stormcrow is locked at that 97KPH, 106 with Speed Tweak. If it's keeping up with a light going at 130+, then the light isn't moving at full speed. It's also worth noting that he doesn't have to catch you, just keep you in sight long enough to get a lock, and keep you within his Streakboat's 360 meter range.

I'm sorry, but I can't help but wonder if this is yet another "this thing killed me, nerf it!" thread, hidden behind a "nerf 'em all" arguement.

Edited by Zetrein, 19 January 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:08 PM

On a similar but different note, I'd also like the controls for throttle speed (W and S by default) to actually be able to keep up with the mech's acceleration and deceleration. The Locust actually accelerates and decelerates faster than W and S can move the speed slider, so you have to either use some weird key setup with the speed settings (numpad numbers by default) or toggle the Throttle Decay in settings (not really ideal). It makes piloting the Locust pretty awkward with the new quirks it gets.

I use Throttle Decay in all of my 'Mechs, including the full array of non-MC Locusts. In what way is it awkward? What else is your left hand going to be doing if not directing the vector of your 'Mech's travel?

#5 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 19 January 2015 - 04:59 PM

View PostZetrein, on 19 January 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

There is a pretty easy way to get what you'd like, to an extent. I don't remember if the default key is X, or if that's just what I've bound it to, but there's a button to zero your throttle. If I need to suddenly switch to reverse, or drop my speed for a sharp turn, I don't hold S, but rather tap X and adjust my throttle from zero as needed.

There's one problem with your idea here, a fair number of mechs have a stock speed of 81KPH, which is basically the low end of "fast" in Battletech. These 81KPH mechs are generally the "heavy interceptor" units, not the gunboats of the 64KPH designs, but able to put decent armor and firepower where they need to go quickly. While we don't have as many examples, there's mechs with the stock speed of 97KPH, a speed profile usually reserved for slow lights, medium scouts, and light mech hunters.

And that's the problem I have with your example here. Going by stock speed, the Stormcrow has the same speed as the Commando. Unlike the Commando, the Stormcrow is locked at that 97KPH, 106 with Speed Tweak. If it's keeping up with a light going at 130+, then the light isn't moving at full speed. It's also worth noting that he doesn't have to catch you, just keep you in sight long enough to get a lock, and keep you within his Streakboat's 360 meter range.

I'm sorry, but I can't help but wonder if this is yet another "this thing killed me, nerf it!" thread, hidden behind a "nerf 'em all" arguement.

It is about this thing turned my Mech into wreckage topic. :) Doesnt make it invalid lol.

I just think that the acceleration of light mechs should be more pronounced vrs heavier mechs. Not asking for the Stormcrow to get a top speed nerf although that would be nice.

Nothing the inner sphere can field going that speed has the firepower of the Stormcrow due to innersphere weapons and equipment weighing more and taking up more space.

This problem gave the idea that slower acceleration would also enhance the feel of some of the heaviest mechs also etc.

#6 LORD TSARKON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 776 posts
  • LocationButtmunch City

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

I don't need a button to stop my Pirate Bane Locust instantly.... There are rocks and terrain for that.... Instantly going from 160 KPH to zero with no Pilot or Mech damage!!! Of course my legs still get stuck in the bog map and take like 10 percent damage from polygon clipping (especially on the stairs)

#7 CrushLibs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

Can I have that 36 streak stormcrow smurfy???

#8 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:08 PM

Bind your 2 (or 3 if more comfortable) key to full throttle and x key to full stop, it works great.

Edited by MauttyKoray, 19 January 2015 - 07:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users