BattleMechs

23 replies to this topic

#21 LordMelvin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 567 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:05 PM

If you compare mechs the Atlas, the Dragon, the Locust and the Catapult to mechs like the Daishi, the Victor, the Stormcrow and the Raven the walk animations are all kinds of wonky. A lot of mechs don't appropriately shift their weight when moving, and worse most of the "chicken walkers" don't have articulated ankles which leads to the infamous "Skipping Whales".

I'm all for making MWO's mechs stompier in comparison to MW3 and MW4's mechs (which were more predatory and in my opinion looked cooler), but I can't bring myself to pilot the Daishi while its walk animation looks like a T-Rex tiptoeing in heels.

#22 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:14 PM

View PostKuun, on 21 January 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

Well, speaking of Steam, if they put MWO on Steam with the current state of art assets (ridiculous amateurish animations, broken areas/clipping on maps, imbecilic UI 2.0, mechs walking through eachother, etc. etc.) they're going to get laughed out of town.

As soon as they hit Steam they're up against the likes of Warframe et. al. which are polished, fluid games that look and play gorgeously, don't have absurd prices for content, and have deep and engaging metagame that MWO simply doesn't have.

Frankly, I think launching MWO onto Steam this year would be a colossal mistake that could doom the long term viability of the product. First impressions are usually the most important, and Steam has a MASSIVE customer base that have no issue at all passing over garbage titles for greener pastures, since there's a billionty pastures on Steam to choose from.

This game on Steam is DOA unless they do an intensive polish pass.

yup rushing it would be MWO release blunder part 2

#23 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:35 PM

View PostLordMelvin, on 21 January 2015 - 02:05 PM, said:

If you compare mechs the Atlas, the Dragon, the Locust and the Catapult to mechs like the Daishi, the Victor, the Stormcrow and the Raven the walk animations are all kinds of wonky. A lot of mechs don't appropriately shift their weight when moving, and worse most of the "chicken walkers" don't have articulated ankles which leads to the infamous "Skipping Whales".

I'm all for making MWO's mechs stompier in comparison to MW3 and MW4's mechs (which were more predatory and in my opinion looked cooler), but I can't bring myself to pilot the Daishi while its walk animation looks like a T-Rex tiptoeing in heels.

lets not forget how many clanners have their knees clip into the CT's when walkign and looking upwards.

#24 Navid A1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 21 January 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

lets not forget how many clanners have their knees clip into the CT's when walkign and looking upwards.

And how mechs like direwolf/stalker/warhawk/etc tilt their upper torso forward and backward depending on the terrain slope.
That is basic animation PGI.

You took out the IK system... fine. But you could at least key-frame a decent animation loop.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users