On The Topic Of Planet Flipping...

5 replies to this topic

#1 SiR LoThaR

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

Quick idea for incorporating multiple gripes in to one fix.

Instead of planets flipping every 8 hours at the various ceasefire windows, give each planet a budget for defense and incorporate Re-arm and Repair costs. Once the budget is exhausted, the defender can no longer afford to field a force, and the planet gets flipped.

I think this would solve a few of the gripes I see and hear about most often in CW roundtables and in the forums.

1. It would add R&R as a consideration, primarily breaking the over-abundance of metabuilds, thereby ceasing that common complaint.

2. It adds depth to a game with little at stake beyond bragging rights in the forum. If, once you lose a planet, you must retake the planet with reduced capacity at the next rotation.

3. It would promote more teamwork from the Pugs, and perhaps spark a boom in recruitment for units. Thus making the game more of a community.

As well give the attackers a budget for each planet. For some small realism, have it be a number reduced by some factor of the supply line's length. This also forces consideration to builds and tonnage. Have the aggressors be limited in supply of consumables for the entire planetary campaign. Some number pulled directly out of the devs ass.

This may have been suggested at some point in the past, but I haven't read that thread yet, I guess. Apologies if it has been. However, I would still like to see the community's feelings here.

#2 Grand Ayatrollah

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

Seems to me that there should be something to gain or lose when a planet is flipped. As it is right now, what difference does it make if we take a planet? EDIT: I like Aces High 2. Each base has different components to it, when the bomber hanger is destroyed, you can no longer use bombers from that base, then there's ammo hangers, ground unit hangers... fighter hangers. There are also aircraft carriers, that move around the map with the ability to bombard base from the water. Just so much more they could be doing with a game like MWO. Why so simple?

Edited by Grand Ayatrollah, 23 January 2015 - 09:46 PM.

#3 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:50 PM

I'm pro anything that makes this more like a planetary league. The current implementation is meaningless to me. I am unable to find a reason to care about what goes on on the map, due to it not having anything that a planetary league would.

#4 SiR LoThaR

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:30 AM

View PostGrand Ayatrollah, on 23 January 2015 - 09:43 PM, said:

Seems to me that there should be something to gain or lose when a planet is flipped. As it is right now, what difference does it make if we take a planet? EDIT: I like Aces High 2. Each base has different components to it, when the bomber hanger is destroyed, you can no longer use bombers from that base, then there's ammo hangers, ground unit hangers... fighter hangers. There are also aircraft carriers, that move around the map with the ability to bombard base from the water. Just so much more they could be doing with a game like MWO. Why so simple?

Ultimately, this suggestion will result in some territory falling permanently. Perhaps leading to a total reset in the future when Steiner crushes CJF with simple numbers. The bolded point is the reduction of supply lines for the team performing incursion to enemy territory. At least in my opinion, this is depth for consideration by team leaders.

I dunno. I would like CW to have real, tangible results. Something that makes it meaningful when a drop is successful. I think it would increase populations in CW if their drops at 8 AM had significance. As it is, we have a few hour window where battles have meaning. In this example, EVERY battle has significance, in budget reduction.

#5 Ultra-Laser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:53 PM

I'm a proponent of planets in CW taking more time and effort to flip. If/when we finally have a reason to try and hold them then each planet taking several days to secure would give more players the opportunity to chip in.

#6 Ax2Grind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 816 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

View PostIDG, on 25 January 2015 - 01:53 PM, said:

I'm a proponent of planets in CW taking more time and effort to flip. If/when we finally have a reason to try and hold them then each planet taking several days to secure would give more players the opportunity to chip in.

agreed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users