A More Dynamic Environment?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Muzza Uleh

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

What do you guys think of more dynamic and random weather.
I find MWO to be a very static game, as in the only thing that can really move is Mechs. Even the water is very boring and still. I'm not saying the game is not fun, but in this day and age games are very dynamic. There's usually a lot going on and lots of sensory input/stimulus. I think a random weather generator would be quite interesting, and perhaps a random temperature generator since temp affects gameplay. It would be a good way to create a bit more variety in gameplay without having to fork out new maps or game modes. Of course, this would be within certain parameters, such as Terra Therma would generally be very high temps, but wouldn't always be 95 degrees. Also, I am unsure as to whether gravity affects mech jump distance and speed, but I believe it doesn't. It only makes sense that it should though, right?
tl;dr
-Random Weather, ex. rain, snow, cloudy, sunny,
-Random Temp (within parameters)
-Gravity affects gameplay
Random temp and gravity I'd imagine would be fairly easy since everything is kind of there already. Temp already affects cooling and whatnot.
Weather would probably be very difficult. I'm not well-versed enough in creating complex algorithms but I'd imagine with things such as sun and shadowing it would a handful. Perhaps someone well versed in programming could shed some light on that one.
Feel free to share your thoughts, opinions, or to call me an idiot. :)

#2 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

I would like this to. I do not think map-changing events like earthquakes and volcanic eruptions is necessary, although it could be cool in small portions, but the smaller things like randomized weather like Muzza Uleh wrote should be implemented if possible.

Snow and sandstorms at different levels, up until the point where there is very little visibility. Perhaps down to 50-100 m lasting for a random portion of the game, sometimes the whole match, sometimes it starts or stops at some point. It should also happen at random intervals. Let’s say it’s 5% chance of a blizzard with close to no visibility (50-100m), 10% Chance of an storm with 100-500m visibility, 20% 500-1000m 80% good weather or weather not affecting gameplay a lot.

The team would then have to rely on good coordination and spotters, especially if the storm also disrupts sensors and targeting data. Then the spotters would have to be very close, right outside the visual range of the enemy to get and relay targeting info back to the team.

In snow, heat vision could help a little depending of the thickness of the snow. In sandstorms, heat vision would be useless.
In addition, different times of day and night would be cool, and the night could be pitch black, forcing use of night or heat vision.

Environment damage should also be higher. Standing in lava should burn your mech rather fast.

#3 Docta Dakka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 02:55 PM

i love this idea and hope its feasible.

#4 Muzza Uleh

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

View PostSerpentbane, on 27 January 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

I would like this to. I do not think map-changing events like earthquakes and volcanic eruptions is necessary, although it could be cool in small portions, but the smaller things like randomized weather like Muzza Uleh wrote should be implemented if possible.

Snow and sandstorms at different levels, up until the point where there is very little visibility. Perhaps down to 50-100 m lasting for a random portion of the game, sometimes the whole match, sometimes it starts or stops at some point. It should also happen at random intervals. Let’s say it’s 5% chance of a blizzard with close to no visibility (50-100m), 10% Chance of an storm with 100-500m visibility, 20% 500-1000m 80% good weather or weather not affecting gameplay a lot.

The team would then have to rely on good coordination and spotters, especially if the storm also disrupts sensors and targeting data. Then the spotters would have to be very close, right outside the visual range of the enemy to get and relay targeting info back to the team.

In snow, heat vision could help a little depending of the thickness of the snow. In sandstorms, heat vision would be useless.
In addition, different times of day and night would be cool, and the night could be pitch black, forcing use of night or heat vision.

Environment damage should also be higher. Standing in lava should burn your mech rather fast.

Oh wow you actually expanded a lot more on my idea than I thought possible. yes that would certainly make things incredibly interesting. I love the idea that it would mess with comms and targeting info. Perhaps even weapon clogging for things like ballistics, although that would require some balancing!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users