4 replies to this topic

#1 Herzog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant Major
  • Sergeant Major
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:40 AM

We already have dragon teeth and other obstacles on the defense that hamper slower mechs that lack jump jets. Some folks have suggested turrets that target legs. What about land mines? They target legs exclusively, would probably only be an annoyance to heavier mechs, and are impervious to lag shields. The jumping light zerg rush has fast become the tactic de jur for CW and I've seen a lot of suggestions about how to balance it (include the ubiquitous "I'm just so awesome in my Streakmech-9000 that the zerg rush won't work against me"). I think sprinkling a few landmines on the map would be a good way to balance that tactic.

#2 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

Greetings,

Any use of 'Mech sized mines normally requires a vehicle unit to place them, but could be 'deployed' by Arty if designed into the game. (entire new method required for Arty calls as these need 'alignment and axis' placement to be effective.)

One of the 'Mech weapons systems that can 'deploy' landmines is the Arrow IV.
- Available in this timeline.
- Multiple types of warheads now available.

Current issue with how to distribute the slots for the weapon as it needs too many for just an arm location, could be the reason PGI has not gone to this weapon system. Also ammo reloads are a concern in the current timeline with the version available.
- A rather unique weapon with about a 3000mtrs range, far outclassing the LRMs and has a cascading 'area damage' effect.
- Needs to work with a TAG system for long range non LOS shoots.

An attacking formation would normally not deploy or place mines during there advance, if they were defending 'absolutely'.
- Mines are designed to either obstruct or delay movement or funnel the Enemy into an area you want.
- During this timeline there are a few types being used, but 'Mechs with jumpjets can navigate over most.
- In the near future, vibro and bouncing mines (pop up then explode) are deployed and stop the JJ attempts at movement.

PGI could effect the use of these elements in future game modes, given enough time in one location, a defending unit would probable deploy these types of elements as well as deployable sensors units.
- There are IFF types of mines that can be 'turned on or off' as required, but most are non-discriminate on what they detect as a 'trigger'.

Just some info,
Aim True and Run Cool,
9erRed

#3 Herzog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant Major
  • Sergeant Major
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:45 PM

Hrm, I was originally thinking of having a certain number of mines randomly pre-placed before the match. Dynamic minefields would be more difficult to implement but could be interesting; hadn't thought of it. Having a FASCAM module would be neat, but like you said it takes a loooong time to deploy FASCAM IRL. Something like a Volcano could be promising; allowing the defender to decide during the game whether to deploy the mines or not (perhaps one jack-in-the-box behind each gate). In this case the purpose of the minefield would be in order to disrupt the attack; and jumping onto a mine is just as dangerous as stepping on one. :)

#4 SnowFox

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

heh randomly placed has me thinking OUR bad didn't mean to mine the LZ.......... erm wait a tick on that.....

#5 Silversynch

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

LRM has "Thunder" Ammunition that places landmines where it hits so the Arrow IV FASCAM is not needed, but unless we get the ammo overhaul, not happening.

Hell, PGI just plain needs to get ammo overhaul in, because having a redundant C-AutoCannon because the C-LB-X is a overgrown shotgun by default is silly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users