17 replies to this topic

#1 H00L1GAN

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

I've been looking at the Ala Carte and Clan Packages, and am I correct that the only place you get mad dogs is MC? and is there a 30%booster mad dog? aside from the mad dog that you get if you shell for Masakari and Man - O - War?

Edited by H00L1GAN, 30 January 2015 - 02:10 PM.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:14 PM

View PostH00L1GAN, on 30 January 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

I've been looking at the Ala Carte and Clan Packages, and am I correct that the only place you get mad dogs is MC? and is there a 30%booster mad dog? aside from the mad dog that you get if you shell for Masakari and Man - O - War?

That's the only way to get the Invasion (CB bonus) MDD-P but MDDs have been out for CB for about a week.

Edited by Terciel1976, 30 January 2015 - 02:16 PM.

#3 H00L1GAN

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

gotcha ;) Danke

Because i'm new, polite, already used the search function here and used google and still don't know......

Is there an ETA for Clan Hero mechs in the in game store? :D

#4 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

View PostH00L1GAN, on 30 January 2015 - 02:23 PM, said:

gotcha ;) Danke

Because i'm new, polite, already used the search function here and used google and still don't know......

Russ said it's not on their radar at the Town Hall. If you mean the Invasion variants, those are preorder exclusive.

Also, welcome to MWO!

Edited by Terciel1976, 30 January 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#5 Scum of the Earth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 106 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

View PostH00L1GAN, on 30 January 2015 - 02:23 PM, said:

gotcha ;) Danke

To the best of my knowledge, only IS has heroes and champions. But if you look closely to all of the clan mechs, they have a quirk for +5% XP if not all then most of them do.

#6 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

View PostScum of the Earth, on 30 January 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

To the best of my knowledge, only IS has heroes and champions. But if you look closely to all of the clan mechs, they have a quirk for +5% XP if not all then most of them do.

2.5% IIRC and that's only if you use a matched set of omnipods.

#7 H00L1GAN

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

lol, there's soooooo much to learn, even about "buying" the game. hahaha

I am seriously contemplating spending 90 bucks right now... on a game, and the funny part is I know it's just kicking open the door for more :/

hmmm... $90.00.... summoner, nova, kitfox, + 6 variants, 9 mechbays and 30 days premium time....

Or Hellbringer, Ice Ferret and Fenris...... too much to decide!

Edited by H00L1GAN, 30 January 2015 - 02:44 PM.

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

View PostH00L1GAN, on 30 January 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

lol, there's soooooo much to learn, even about "buying" the game. hahaha

I am seriously contemplating spending 90 bucks right now... on a game, and the funny part is I know it's just kicking open the door for more :/

hmmm... $90.00.... summoner, nova, kitfox, + 6 variants, 9 mechbays and 30 days premium time....

Or Hellbringer, Ice Ferret and Fenris...... too much to decide!

You're not wrong. But if you're you've got $90 to spend and like clans, I'd recommend a $55 a la carte of the SCR or TBR and experiment with before you spend the rest. They're both head and shoulders over most other clan mechs and have a wide variety of possible builds and styles, so they offer a lot to a new player especially. The HBR is also excellent, but less flexible.

#9 Scum of the Earth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 106 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:56 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 30 January 2015 - 02:30 PM, said:

2.5% IIRC and that's only if you use a matched set of omnipods.

Bah, they must have changed that recently. I swear it wasn't more than a few weeks ago and I read their quirk as 5% and not 2.5% I have a buddy that runs clan mechs and he's been saying they have changed a lot of clan stuff around lately.

#10 H00L1GAN

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:00 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 30 January 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

You're not wrong. But if you're you've got $90 to spend and like clans, I'd recommend a $55 a la carte of the SCR or TBR and experiment with before you spend the rest. They're both head and shoulders over most other clan mechs and have a wide variety of possible builds and styles, so they offer a lot to a new player especially. The HBR is also excellent, but less flexible.

55 = 3 mechs. that's 18.33 per mech and a 30% booster all in one weight class.

90 = 9 mechs. that's 10 per mech, plus you have +30% booster in three weight classes.

the ratio of mechbays and the amount of premium time is consistant between the two

Edited by H00L1GAN, 30 January 2015 - 03:02 PM.

#11 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostH00L1GAN, on 30 January 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

55 = 3 mechs. that's 18.33 per mech and a 30% booster all in one weight class.

90 = 9 mechs. that's 10 per mech, plus you have +30% booster in three weight classes.

the ratio of mechbays and the amount of premium time is consistant between the two

I guess it depends on what you want.

Full disclosure: I have 162 mechs, most mastered, including all clan mechs. I gots lots of rubbish mechs. Some of which I love. But I'm also pretty good. When I started, I was horrendous.

The only clan mechs are top-tier are the SCR, HBR, TBR and DWF. The others range between OK and absolutely awful. The MLX is, in my opinion, the worst mech in the game. I would never wish it on a new player. So do you want quantity or quality? When I started, I started with Commandos. At the time, they were arguably the worst mech in the game. Frankly, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'm seriously stubborn and monomaniacal so I stuck with it. Many wouldn't have. As a new player, the MLX and IFR will make you feel stupid and incompetent. The NVA and SMN will likely do the same. The KFX is workable if you can learn to stay at range and use ECM. The HBR is great, but sortof limited in what really works on it. So...the two $90 packages give you quantity, but not quality. For a new player, honestly, if you can get quality and flexibility...that's a big win. Hence my suggestion of SCR or TBR. With the omnipod system, the idea of it being "one mech" is misleading since you can do so many things with either of those.

Edited by Terciel1976, 30 January 2015 - 03:33 PM.

#12 H00L1GAN

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:44 PM

I like those mechs, and scr is what I already pilot, I did horribad with the trial Timber Wolf though :(

I've SEEN jumpjetting timbers.. how does this work? can this be done to the 'crow?

Focusing on SCR and TBR, that pretty much limits me to SCR x 3 + TBR as a 240 ton Drop Deck.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

View PostH00L1GAN, on 30 January 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

I like those mechs, and scr is what I already pilot, I did horribad with the trial Timber Wolf though :(

I've SEEN jumpjetting timbers.. how does this work? can this be done to the 'crow?

Focusing on SCR and TBR, that pretty much limits me to SCR x 3 + TBR as a 240 ton Drop Deck.

with Clan Mechs certain equipment including Jumpjets is fixed to certain omnipods, e.g. all Summoner, Mist Lynx and Nova variants have fixed jumpjets, 1 varient each of Kit Fox and Timber Wolf have Jumpjets, as the center and side torsos of the TBR-S have fixed Jumpjets if you fix an S side torso omnipod to any Timber Wolf (you can swap or purchase omnipods in the Mechlab)that Mech gets Jumpjets (regardless of if you want them). the Storm Crow has only 1 disadvantage compared to the IS 55tonners and that is that it cannot (at current) fit Jumpjets.

the Fixed (cannot be removed) Jumpjets are a disadvantage on some Clan Mechs

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 30 January 2015 - 04:02 PM.

#14 Smoked

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:26 PM

Firestarter mastery pack via the client store bundles is probably the best bang for the buck. If you wait until MC goes on 20% sale, you get 25000 + 5000 bonus for $100. Then you can get firestarter mastery for 4350 MC which is about $15. And it includes a hero mech ember. You also get 30 days premium time and 3x mech bays. A clear win for someone about to start the game. Grind, save your money for big xl engine, get endo structure, double heat sinks and ferrous armor, in that order and you're set. Make sure you use the quirked weapons.

#15 H00L1GAN

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:47 PM

I am thinking (now) of TBR ala carte pack, and maybe a Shadowhawk or Hunchback (IS I know :P) mastery pack.

I will have maybe 12k MC left over still at that point and can decide more then.

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

View PostH00L1GAN, on 30 January 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

Well, the trial TBR is pretty horribad really. Any TBR can equip STs from the TBR-S (which contain JJs), or the TBR-S CT also has one. I have four TBRs, all run at least one JJ.

JJ are the only item in the game that pretty much if you can equip, you should (used to be true of ECM, but costs too much on the MLX and some KFX builds).

#17 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

saw a crazy fun maddog today in game. 6LRM5, a Tag and an Ultra20! It reaped too

#18 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:16 AM

View PostH00L1GAN, on 30 January 2015 - 04:47 PM, said:

I am thinking (now) of TBR ala carte pack, and maybe a Shadowhawk or Hunchback (IS I know :P) mastery pack.

I will have maybe 12k MC left over still at that point and can decide more then.

The Clan packs cannot be purchased with MC, those are purchased with real money, while you can get Clan Mechs with MC those will not include Mech Bays or the 30% cbill bonus (I) varient

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users