- - - - -

Odd Jager Out, 3 Of 4?

22 replies to this topic

#1 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:48 AM

I have just enough to buy 3 Jagers and start leveling a fun ballistic boat. Which one do you NOT need as bad as the others?

#2 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:52 AM

So far I have found the A to be absolute junk. the others are quite good but the A you either sit back and LRM or wait till you can get in someone's face with SRMs and you get left behind.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:52 AM

The Hero Jager? (It's basically a Rifleman, but it isn't necessary if you don't to spend.
On TT I love the Jagermech A, but on MWO I found it somewhat lacking. But I haven't used it after the quirks (lack of funds; when you have as many mechs as I do it's very hard to keep the funds together to keep them running). So the JM6-A is another possibility for the odd man out.

Quirks, if it helps.
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 26 January 2015 - 06:59 AM.

#4 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:57 AM

Thanks. Being able to compare quirks side-by-side helps alot

#5 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:26 AM

If you don't like to spend the MC then don't take the Firebrand. Though it does have the novelty of the high arm mount energy weapons, if you're not planning on using those then it's a waste of MC IMO. There's only 3 C-bill variants available.

That said, I also liked the A-version the least. In fact, it's the only one of the bunch I've sold. I didn't find it to be a great missile mech and those missile boxes to the side only enlargen your profile, even when you're not carrying any missiles.

In the end I levelled it as a dual Gauss sniper. But this was pre-quirks and IIRC also without DHS.

#6 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 26 January 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

If you don't like to spend the MC then don't take the Firebrand. Though it does have the novelty of the high arm mount energy weapons, if you're not planning on using those then it's a waste of MC IMO. There's only 3 C-bill variants available.

That said, I also liked the A-version the least. In fact, it's the only one of the bunch I've sold. I didn't find it to be a great missile mech and those missile boxes to the side only enlargen your profile, even when you're not carrying any missiles.

In the end I levelled it as a dual Gauss sniper. But this was pre-quirks and IIRC also without DHS.

the quirks on the A pretty much suck as well. AC2 and LRM 15

#7 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,980 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

The FB has a pay to win aura around it that's why its tier 1

If I had the money I would have at least one hero in all my variants

In CW I use my Jager A the most since it can carry a boat load of LRMs and I also mount ERLL and an AC5
These gives me good range and longevity
As long as I don't fight the clans that is

My Pick for Jagers
1) FB
2) A
3) DD
4) S

#8 Ichen

• Pip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEarth, US MidWest

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:35 AM

I have used an A to do many things but this is my favorite load out http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9c6999cb703598b. I used it before the quirks system was in place and it served me well then and does even better now. Forget the LRM quirk and the AC2 quirk. It still has a missile cooldown quirk and a ballistic cooldown quirk slap on top of that the cooldown modules and see what happens.

Edited by Ichen, 26 January 2015 - 08:36 AM.

#9 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:58 AM

Most of the quirks introduced seem to compliment each other. Except the Jaeger A. You just cannot fit enough ammo if you try to use LRMs and the ACs. It's a pick one or the other type of build.

I use it with 2XLRM15, TAG, SMPL, 2xMG, BAP. And I hate it.

#10 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostIchen, on 26 January 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

I have used an A to do many things but this is my favorite load out http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9c6999cb703598b. I used it before the quirks system was in place and it served me well then and does even better now. Forget the LRM quirk and the AC2 quirk. It still has a missile cooldown quirk and a ballistic cooldown quirk slap on top of that the cooldown modules and see what happens.

a very interesting build.. I just might have to try it out!

OP: I to have bought 2 of my 3 needed, and still need to grab the A.. Just not interested in the hero at this point. But I am finding this thread interesting. But to me, the JMD-A is a mech you need to think outside the box on..

not really going with quirks,, Perhaps dual Large pulse, 4 SRM 4's, and a pair of machine guns with many heat sinks, has a 53 alpha, and nearly 8DPS!.. can't wait to try this.... Now.. when does it go on sale! :)

Edited by JC Daxion, 26 January 2015 - 09:33 AM.

#11 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:22 AM

The A was the first one I bought soon after they released them. I haven't played it much since then, but back then, missiles did splash damage, were probably still OP, and I hadn't yet gotten good with projectiles (Previous mechs I owned had lasers and missiles of some kind).

#12 Scum of the Earth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 106 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

Greetings Mechwarriors,

I have only been playing the game for a little over a month now and have been enjoying it a lot. I have a lot of Battletech knowledge but not so much with the game. In fact, I pulled out all of my source books just to compare and it's about 90% compatible. However, that 10% seems to include engines being completely different. The only other items I saw that wasn't lore was Inner Sphere ER Large, Large, and Large pulse lasers all had different values. Not sure about the clan mechs as I have never bought one yet to compare mechs/weapon outputs. But now I degrees...

Any ways, onto the subject at hand. My first heavy mech was a Jagermech. I am too cheap... errr... I mean "thrifty" to buy any of the hero or champion mechs so I have to resort to what I can buy with c-bills. Of the 3, I love the A the best, followed by the S and the DD is my least favorite. In fact for the "Like a Champion" weekend event, I had over 1/2 my points with the A. Personally, I hate AC 2's. Worst use of tonnage IMHO for a mech. Yes, you have range and if you use 4 of them, you do get a lot of "dakka-dakka" going on. But at 2 points of damage each, you're not going to be killing anyone fast with them. If you want long range sniping, Gauss Rifles are where it's at. That's what my S is running, duel Guass Rifles and it is the only mech that I have that has had 5 kills in a match so far. In fact, I saved my whole team with that mech in a match, being at the end of the fight with just 1 ally left and 4 enemies. I took out 3 of them singlehandedly and finished off the other one of them that had killed my partner.

I had a friend in game that was bashing the use of the A and its effectiveness in fights. It wasn't until I convinced him to try it that he suddenly liked it. That is however how I designed my mech, as a total missile boat. It has 3 LRM15's and 2 medium lasers but it's running 9 tons of LRM ammo. Hopefully, I have softened up enough targets that my teammates can finish them off or where they're so beat up, the two mediums I have can. While it is a large target, HOPEFULLY, you're not running face to face into something. Every shot I make is from cover. Not until I run out of ammo that I come out to hopefully finish off something. Two other important rules are, NEVER separate yourself from your lance or company because a light mech will wreck you up and make you useless. Also, never solo target anything. If you see a solid red triangle above an enemy, THAT'S what you're shooting for. WAY too many times I can see 5 hit boxes and all 5 have solid red triangles above them. This game is really about numbers. Cutting your enemy down with 5 mechs instead of 1 on 1 will not only quickly put your enemy down in numbers and thus firepower, but reduce the amount of damage taken on your team.

I suppose my only issue with the DD is running into heat issues. But then again, I'm being cheap and haven't bought it double heat sinks yet because I'm saving up c-bills for the current house faction sales. Also, I am using the duel Ultra AC5's so I'm carrying around 9 tons of ammo for them. My biggest pet peeve is my main weapon running out of ammo. The UAC5's also seem to jam on me at the worst of times too. There's also a duel AC10 build for the DD but it still has the same issues that I run into with the UAC, ammo. The reason I like the UAC over the AC10 is that if I miss, I only lose 5 of my 10 damage instead of the whole 10. But everything is always in perspective in how you play. What I don't like might be something that someone else loves.

But, that's just my perspective of how I play my Jagermechs, hopefully you'll find the play style that you like the best. But I do have to say, I am very pleased with my Jagers.

#13 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

My $.02...

I loved tooling around in the A with 4 LRM5 2ac5 2ML. Still one of my best mechs (stat-wise) at least.
And the DD with 2 LBX 4 MG 2 ML is STILL one of the most fun to play, for me.
Had the FB... dual gauss is very profitable with the 30% bonus.
Just got the A in the last sale.

#14 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

View PostVotanin FleshRender, on 26 January 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

My $.02...

I loved tooling around in the A with 4 LRM5 2ac5 2ML. Still one of my best mechs (stat-wise) at least.
And the DD with 2 LBX 4 MG 2 ML is STILL one of the most fun to play, for me.
Had the FB... dual gauss is very profitable with the 30% bonus.
Just got the A in the last sale.

what engine do you run on that LRM5+AC5 version?

#15 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

Tried the A didnt get along with it. The s i still have and loaded out with a crit seeking build of lbx, mg's and puls lasers does fairly well my firebrand has a bit of a one two punch like so really good middle to late game assuming i can stay the grey man for the first half.
Good build this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1bef831078784b7

Edited by mad kat, 26 January 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#16 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,980 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

View Postmad kat, on 26 January 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

Tried the A didnt get along with it. The s i still have and loaded out with a crit seeking build of lbx, mg's and puls lasers does fairly well my firebrand has a bit of a one two punch like so really good middle to late game assuming i can stay the grey man for the first half.
Good build this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1bef831078784b7

I run the same build in in my Jager S
I can’t carry enough ammo for dual AC20 setup and the higher fire rate with the LB10X makes it pretty effective (the range module for the LBX also helps)

Very good one--two punch

#17 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

View PostBigbacon, on 26 January 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

what engine do you run on that LRM5+AC5 version?

XL 280, 76 KPH tweaked. 9 tons left for LRM ammo, ac5 ammo, and any extra DHS. (not quite full armor, I think 20ish less than full). I just ran with the 10DHS, 3-4 tons of ac5 ammo and 5-6 tons of LRM ammo.

Hang with the heavies/assaults, hill hump for targets for both acs and LRMs. Chain fire the LRMs for maximum crying. (plus they've added Ghost heat to LRM5s). Tons of fun.

Edited by Votanin FleshRender, 26 January 2015 - 01:21 PM.

#18 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

The 3ALRM15 JM6-A build is very effective. XL260 or 275, a crapton of ammo, TAG, an ML and 2MG as a weak backup and you have a solid missile mech for the weight. Not the most fun build to play, but works very well as a LRM boat.

If I was going to get Firebrand I'd get A and DD for diversity.

#19 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:38 PM

They are all good.

Those who dislike the A, well thats because of their playstyle preferences.

The A model with one AC10, SRM 22, and 2 ML does quite well. Play it more like a SRM boat and have fun. I use a XL275, with about 8 tons of ammo split between the AC10 and the SRMs. The XL makes you fragile. But, you have good burst damage, so if you dont lead the charge, you clean up quite well. The AC10 is for plinking and keeping heads down. 2 ML are just good round out the Alpha.

Or you could build the A model with 2 UAC5s, 2 ML, 2 SRM 2's. This one is more of a mobile ballistic platform. With a xl300 engine, you go 74 un-tweaked, 82 tweaked. Never discount how strong a pair of Uac5's are. You are left with about 6-7 tons for ammo and a couple DHs, with one ton of ammo for the SRM 2's. They are there when big boys get close and you want a little cockpit rattle if your big guns have jammed. Also have 2 ML just because...

I think using the A for a LRM platform is not it's strength. It can do it, and do it pretty well, but other Heavy mechs seem to LRUM a bit better.

Heck, the A can also Dual Gauss.... nothing bad about that.

I am huge fan of every Jager. I think the A is one of the most flexible. It can do things other variants can't do with those 4 missle hardpoints.

#20 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:56 AM

Jagersplat anyone?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a02f16cee3bb56f

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users