The Hunchback 4J

17 replies to this topic

#1 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 01:20 AM

I have seen a few variations of the Hunchback 4J, but my build seems to be a little different from the norm. I have a lot of fun with it and I think it works pretty well for its role, so I wanted to share the build and a couple of videos I recorded this evening.

Here is the build.

5 small lasers, 1 TAG, 2 LRM 10 with artemis, XL 255, and 9 tons of ammo.
Modules: seismic, radar deprivation, target decay, LRM Cooldown, and Small laser range.

The basic strategy is to play aggressively getting your own locks. Use your speed to flank, push, and retreat quickly. The closer you can get to the enemy the easier it is to land your LRMs, but the riskier it can be. Use your small lasers to swat anything that gets too close. A lot of LRM users make the mistake of just sitting back at 700-800 meters waiting for the team to get you locks. That's a great way to waste your LRMs on terrain. Your TAG and Target Decay don't work unless you have LOS and I guarantee you that most of your teammates will have neither.

Anyway, here are the videos I promised. First game is just to show why I find this build a lot of fun. The second game is to show you that yes, I do go through all that ammo! Also, I figured out how to upload in 60 FPS for that one. Woo!

(sorry to butcherblack for accusing you of ragequitting. I realized at the end that he really did just disconnect at a terrible time)

Now in Glorious 60 FPS! :o

(break out your popcorn for chat-rage)

Edited by Jman5, 01 February 2015 - 01:22 AM.

#2 Ratpoison

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:58 AM

Pretty good idea. I love my HBK-4J, I run it with the 2 LRM10s, 5 MLAS, and a TAG in the head for its amazing peeking ability, with an XL 255, 12 DHS, and 7 tons of ammo. This thing can really pump out the ammo so firing discipline is absolutely key, as it should be with any good LRM support player. That means no spam firing at lights, no greed shots for last hits on engaged enemies, no auto locking and firing at targets without considering their position, or the trajectory of your missiles, or areas of cover your target may use. Make your shots count, fire when you KNOW you will hit your enemy, and STOP firing when you know that you're going to lose lock or your opponent is going to get behind cover before the next salvo will be able to reach them.

Wasted ammo is wasted tonnage, and my build aims to use that tonnage saved through good firing discipline to capitalize on the other half of the 4J's great quirks and hardpoints; the ones focused on energy. This thing gets HOT regardless of what you really do with it, so I find an extra two heatsinks more valuable than Artemis, especially with the excellent fire point for the tag already doing work for the LRMs. 5 MLAS makes for a fantastic backup weapon to the LRMs, allowing it to fight well in situations where they can't be used, and REALLY deal the pain to a target that you manage to get in range of both weapon groups. Dealing 25 pinpoint damage to a target's CT while raining on them with the LRMs can make them fall faster and save you from having to dump ton after ton of ammo on a single target.

When the enemy is really dug in and you can't get your LRMs around the cover they're standing in or the ECM they're grouped under, the 5 MLAS and their quirks let you dish out some great damage and poke at targets who peek to keep you from getting a good lock on them. This keeps the 4J from sitting around and being dead weight on the team during these situations, which is sadly the mistake of many inexperienced LRM support players in this game, and much of why LRMs are widely seen as underpowered weapons. The 4J is one of the best LRM support mechs in the game right now because it can fight so well both with and without optimal locks, and that's also why this is one of my most successful builds.

#3 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 02 February 2015 - 09:43 PM

My beloved HBK-4J (or AwesomPossum, first mech I ever bought) almost always has 4 small lasers (head, right torso), 2 med lasers and 2 ALRM10's. Post quirk I actually think it's worthwhile to ditch 2 tons of lasers for more missiles (I'm actually considering removing artemis as well because I can't have enough ammo in this thing).

Edited by stealthraccoon, 02 February 2015 - 09:43 PM.

#4 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:53 AM

I just bought a 4J in the recent faction sale and am loving it so far. Here's my build.

HBK-4J 2xLRM10, 5xSL, TAG, XL275, 10xDHS, 10 tons ammo

Once I unlock speed tweak, I'll probably reduce the engine to an XL255 and add Artemis with the weight savings. I only use the small lasers when someone gets in my face. Otherwise, it's all about the LRM's. I've burned through all 10 tons of ammo several times. Caustic Valley is especially fun, peaking over ridges with the head TAG.

#5 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:19 PM

The 4J is a great lurmisher. Before the quirks I preferred the 4SP for the same role, because it didn't have the huge torso syndrome, but now with the quirks the 4J is much better. You can actually run away from an enemy and still shoot at it with your LRMs :).

#6 MasterYoooda

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:25 AM

лучший фит ханча, ловите криворукие HBK-4J from MasterYoooda

#7 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:24 AM

All of the builds might work in paper with the quirks but the 4j really runs hot!
HBK-4J

#8 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:51 PM

Been running with 2LRM10, 5ML, TAG, XL260 for a bit.

Looking at the quirks, it actually has the best reduced heat energy bonus.
Thinking about trying 6MPL,2SRM4 (really) and STD 225 for giggles.

Anyone else make a wubback out of the 4J?
Quirks make it better than 4P for 6MPL loadout.

#9 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 07:15 AM

Ok, made a new build for the 4J...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7007307f0fda5e8

6MPL, STD250. Really fun. Better than running on 4P because of better heat quirks on 4J, but still have 6 energy hardpoints.
Stuffing more than 6 MPL on the 4P also means making some sacrifices with engine or cooling.

#10 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:35 AM

The 4J is such an awesomely versatile mech.

#11 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

You know, I see a lot of missile HBK-4J builds and that's boring. Let's do something fun! I present to you: The Hunchless WubBack!

Posted Image

Constructed with pride by drunken Inner Sphere Mech Techs! Featuring an XL 275 supported not one, but three Large Pulse Lasers and even some standard issues balls of steel!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love and recommend this build. In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only wub.

Edited by Airmanator, 28 February 2015 - 10:57 AM.

#12 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

Yeah I do love the 4J in ALL of its configurations.

The HBK is my favorite chassis again, and has awesome quirks to support it .. and the 4J some of the absolute bestest. It works well w/ ERLLs too.

#13 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:12 PM

I see little point with the Artemis for the 4J. Better to use that tonnage for something else. I run a 255 XL, 2 LRM10s with 9 tons of ammo, TAG, 2 ML (head, LA) & 3 SLs. Oh, and a Beagle Active Probe. Advanced Sensor Range, Radar Decay & Radar Dep. LRM10 Cooldown, LRM10 Range...and I keep looking for some tonnage for an extra ton of ammo. There's been several times I've needed extra.

#14 Holdfast

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNoVa

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:52 AM

View PostAirmanator, on 28 February 2015 - 10:52 AM, said:

You know, I see a lot of missile HBK-4J builds and that's boring. Let's do something fun! I present to you: The Hunchless WubBack!

I love and recommend this build. In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only wub.

Well, I gave it a try last night, and had the most fun I've ever had with a direct fire mech. Went so far as to add the cooldown and range mods.

Thinking about stripping some armor off of the legs and a little off the arms for an extra heat sync, though. That reduced cooldown definitely causes some heat buildup issues.

#15 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:11 AM

Posted Image

Constructed with pride by drunken Inner Sphere Mech Techs! Featuring an XL 275 supported not one, but three Large Pulse Lasers and even some standard issues balls of steel!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:28 AM

***COMPLETELY UNPAID ENDORSEMENT***

I'm not big on LRMs, and I'm still not convinced they're much use outside of solo queue, but having seen JMan put up stupid numbers a few times in solo drops with this thing and knowing he's Mr. Hunchback, I adopted the build for my leveling of an impulse-bought 4J. The two screens below are sequential games that thanks to double XP weekend pretty much accounted for the elite section of the skill tree. In the first one, the legged SMN blew my torso before I could quite get his other leg (after I killed four of his buddies with the SLs). In the second one, we used VOIP effectively against a team that didn't and drove them before us. In both, I shot out all the ammo. Big thumbs up on this build, if you must LRM. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 goatreich

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 105 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:25 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This build is made of win and awesome. I Wub it!

#18 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:54 AM

Posting again to reaffirm the 3 LPL 4J build. Be bold. Be unconventional. Beat the unpossible.

Really, most opponents are dumbfounded by the loadout, while a minority in the higher ELOs go for my Wub side torso. I suspect in lower ELOs you will roll all over your enemies if you practice safe and consensual smart mech play.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users