- - - - -

Corners,and How To Properly Defend Them (Positioning Rant)

20 replies to this topic

#1 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:40 AM

So,i have a little rant to you guys,who run heavy or assault ballistic boats,and complain about blocked shots in the team chat,this was very evident in the Mercenary Event,and should be looked into with proper information.

So i made this fine illustration (9000 hours in MS Paint BTW) to vent out my frustration.

Posted Image

Please note that if you back against the wall in the early game,and no evident threat from light,you have basically 2 options,A: not to shoot B: shoot through your advancing team mates.
And dont just stay staring at the same spot,move with the team,and try to position yourself in the corners so that everyone can pass you without getting into your firing line.
And if you see a assault maneuvering like this,please give it a chance to back up to cover.

Cookie out.

#2 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:47 AM

I noticed a lot of people during the event that just ran through the fire line in front of other 'Mechs even when there's more than enough space available to run behind said 'Mechs. I refused to apologize to anyone that felt it to be nessecary to block my AC20 firing when I was poking around a corner with my Centurion. Enjoy 20 points less rear armor, chump!

#3 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:37 AM

Right, because it was clearly his fault for not looking in his rear view mirror to see if anyone was standing there. Don't tell me look at the mini map either because that thing is a joke when it comes to telling how close someone is or what they are shooting at...People will run across your firing line all the time and you will run across other people's firing line all the time. It's a part of the game and your desire to not say sorry is just silly and show a lack of understanding of how this game works. Sure you will hit friendlies in the back at times, especially with lasers. if you get the chance, just type sorry in the team chat and move on. Blaming them for not being able to read your mind and see that you are planning on shooting your AC20 at something is just silly.

#4 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:50 AM

Ideally you would never go around corners at all, you would form a firing line on your side of the corner so that when your enemy comes around they are immediately fighting 1 vs 4. Obviously if everyone refused to go around corners there would be a lot of 0 - 0 draws. Any time you go around a corner in a group you're going to either block each others line of fire or leave cover one at a time. Just try to cause more damage to enemies than to allies..

#5 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:58 AM

View PostPat Kell, on 01 February 2015 - 05:37 AM, said:

Blaming them for not being able to read your mind and see that you are planning on shooting your AC20 at something is just silly.

If there is an obvious corner-poking skirmish going on hand, and has been for quite some time, it's your own fult if you think your shortest route goes through the firing line of an advancing Centurion, especially if there is more than enough space to avoid the issue altogether. It's not my fault if I'm zoomed in and you suddenly jump into my view when I'm pulling my trigger. Or do you want ME to check the great minimap whether someone might me trying to pass me through my firing line?

#6 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 01 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

I don't think either party needs to be blamed as the situation you describe happens to me all the time. I am zoomed in, a guy crosses and I fire right into his back. You just seemed to be frustrated over a situation that neither party has a lot of control over...it happens, say sorry and move on. In fact, when I am on comms and I get shot in the back after crossing firing lanes, I apologize to my team mates. Now, If I am standing still and get shot in the back, that's a different story:)

#7 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:14 AM

oh and please don't shuffle the grim fandango. go in or go home. peeking rarely wins the battle. esp bloody assaults. do not shuffle like a 13 year old at first dancing lessons. it makes your atlas look silly.

#8 Hammer 13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 111 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:49 AM

Everyone has different idea on how it should be done.

I tend to get up against the wall/barrier closest to the direction of threat and then peek, fire and back up. It helps shield me from LRMs that ensue. In the illustration above, I am the blue box. When someone else is the blue box I simply get parrelel to threat, but behind them. When they peek, I go with + a little further to form a 'firing line' (or as I see it, use them as a shield), we fire and back up.

I have had someone tell me to cross the lane or get out of the way. So I backed up thinking the Centurion pilot would show me how its done. He proceeded to do exactly what I had been doing. So I proceeded to flank the direwolf which resulted in me killing it thru the back. The Centurion, sadly, laid in a heap smoking. Such is MWO.

Everyone is doing it wrong, including me. ;)

#9 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 07:53 AM

View PostORION OMA, on 04 February 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

I have had someone tell me to cross the lane or get out of the way. So I backed up thinking the Centurion pilot would show me how its done. He proceeded to do exactly what I had been doing. So I proceeded to flank the direwolf which resulted in me killing it thru the back. The Centurion, sadly, laid in a heap smoking. Such is MWO.

Everyone is doing it wrong, including me. ;)

usually what happens here is you poke and then can't back up because a teammate thinks your mechs butt is purdy and would like to be all up in it.

Edited by Bigbacon, 04 February 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#10 Lbofun

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSomewhere I should not be.

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:28 AM

View PostHammerhai, on 04 February 2015 - 05:14 AM, said:

oh and please don't shuffle the grim fandango. go in or go home. peeking rarely wins the battle. esp bloody assaults. do not shuffle like a 13 year old at first dancing lessons. it makes your atlas look silly.

You are right, I just wish that when the assults move in people would back them up. you see 2 atlas and a dire moving in you should help them.

#11 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,432 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

Team Damage is OP.

#12 Latorque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 08:53 AM

View PostPat Kell, on 01 February 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

I don't think either party needs to be blamed as the situation you describe happens to me all the time. I am zoomed in, a guy crosses and I fire right into his back. You just seemed to be frustrated over a situation that neither party has a lot of control over...it happens, say sorry and move on. In fact, when I am on comms and I get shot in the back after crossing firing lanes, I apologize to my team mates. Now, If I am standing still and get shot in the back, that's a different story:)

During challenges this is taken to the extreme though - we all take and dish out some team damage in a match; but if you see a Dakkawhale or a 1N hammering away in the tunnel in Crimson Strait it will goddamn hurt if you walk into its line of fire!

On three or four occassions my jaw dropped at the sight of some KC just waddling straight in my stream of AC5 shells to get at some Highlander. By the time i took my finger off the RMB i must have taken 30 out of his rear CT armor... :huh:

Team damage in narrow spaces is unavoidable; but some people are taking their greed for kills and/or assists to weird levels...

#13 Hammer 13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 111 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:02 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 04 February 2015 - 07:53 AM, said:

usually what happens here is you poke and then can't back up because a teammate thinks your mechs butt is purdy and would like to be all up in it.

Yeah! That too. Then I cuss out loud, and ultimately move out of the way. IF I'm not dead first.

I must admit, one time, I survived only enough to return the favor. Not proud, but it happens when you're pissed. I never commented on it in chat, I simply thoght 'maybe if he see's whats that like he won't do it next time to someone else'.

At no time do I ever shoot my own team in the back to 'prove a point' though. I move. Usually flank while all attention has turned to those who stepped in front.

Edited by ORION OMA, 04 February 2015 - 09:03 AM.

#14 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

View PostORION OMA, on 04 February 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:

Yeah! That too. Then I cuss out loud, and ultimately move out of the way. IF I'm not dead first.

i just twist and shoot them.

#15 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 04 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

Jump jets.

I run mediums mostly, and most with JJ. I just jump over the offender and move on.

#16 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 04 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

Yah I'm having trouble finding a good firing lane without borking my wingmen. Any advice is appreciated. And sorry if I jam you up, still trying to figure it all out.

OP, you are basically saying hug the forward corner, not the back one?

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 04 February 2015 - 05:26 PM.

#17 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:07 AM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 04 February 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

Yah I'm having trouble finding a good firing lane without borking my wingmen. Any advice is appreciated. And sorry if I jam you up, still trying to figure it all out.

OP, you are basically saying hug the forward corner, not the back one?

yes,and rotate your torso so that you can back into cover easily if the position gets too hot

#18 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:55 AM

This will never go away due to:
- Idiots who proudly state they will shoot their team for any dumb reason.
- People so focused on the enemy they pay no attention to their allies.
- People who think they have no faults so blame others for what happens such as those who blame the mini map and allies when they cannot back up.
- People who do not pay attention to details.
- The growing trend among people for more individualism and less group behavior.

#19 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:21 AM

Always hug the corner. If you are behind a guy hugging the corner, create uyour own lane behind him to move in. You can get three mechs around that corner and all peek and poke if you divide the area up with one on the corner, one in the middle, and the third person making a very wide arc in the back. Someone can be up top as well ;)

#20 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

Corner hugging is also good depending Mech.
Awesome-8R can corner shoot 2 ERLL in its RA.
I currently run a Mech corner shooting a ALRM20 in the arm, also great for firing behind allies since the missiles go over them, not into allies and it brings ECM cover/counterjamming for everyone.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users