Dual Geforce 690 In Sli...worth It For Mwo?

12 replies to this topic

#1 theCheek

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCyprus

Posted 02 February 2015 - 03:58 AM

So first world problems, but my triple screen setup for MWO running on a single Nvidia Geforce 690 is just not cutting it for CW. When in a CW drop my frames go below 30, which is not good enough for when getting Lurm-dumped on :)

So I'm thinking about buying a second 690 and SLI'ing them. I've looked through the forums and found many contradictory reports of SLI working and not working etc. I've even seen reports that my card is in fact not even being fully utilised as it is because its effectively 2 cards SLI'ed together anyway.

Any up to date advise on this before I actually take the plunge?

Domo Arigato

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:03 AM

Low fps in CW is mostly because the cpu can't keep up, adding another 690 will probably make it even less playable.

Don't add another 690, quad sli is only nice for benchmarks, not for actually playing games.

#3 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:11 AM

To feed 2 X 690's well with MWO, you'd need Oc'd Ivy Bridge or haswell or highly OC'd sandyB. quad core minimum @ 4.3+ghz

#4 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:24 AM

What CPU are you using with the 690.
MWO is more CPU bound than GPU

#5 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

"Somewhere on the CPU" is complicated, but the expected result …

#6 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

NEVER RUN MORE THAN 2 GPUS IN CFX OR SLI! IT IS NOT WORTH THE HEADACHES, HEAT, PRICE, OR SPACE! I DID IT WITH gtx 680s AND NEVER AGAIN I SAY, NEVER AGAIN!

#7 One of Little Harmony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

My friend Storm X (http://mwomercs.com/...182384-storm-x/) runs dual 690s in SLI. It works pretty well I think, but he needs to modify a bunch of settings. I doubt he'd mind a PM.

#8 Frytrixa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:41 PM

View PostPOOTYTANGASAUR, on 02 February 2015 - 07:00 PM, said:

NEVER RUN MORE THAN 2 GPUS IN CFX OR SLI! IT IS NOT WORTH THE HEADACHES, HEAT, PRICE, OR SPACE! I DID IT WITH gtx 680s AND NEVER AGAIN I SAY, NEVER AGAIN!

Did it with two 970s - same answer.

#9 EvAbsence

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:42 PM

Wait until the patch tomorrow. They are rolling out a fix to increase fps.

#10 Worm Seraphin

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 93 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:20 PM

View PostPOOTYTANGASAUR, on 02 February 2015 - 07:00 PM, said:

Might not help OP, but on the AMD side I run 2 radeon 7850s, no headaches. I installed the second card and disabled the power saving mode in the registry, easy and gave a good fps boost, enough for me to run triple monitors. Low to medium settings though, and I don't do CW.

Edited by Worm Seraphin, 02 February 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#11 ThunderGodThor

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 08:43 PM

To my knowlage PGI has never implemted SLI in MWO.

#12 ValkerieFire

• PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:57 PM

Adding a 2nd 690 is a huge mistake. You would be much better of selling the 690 and getting a single GTX980 or 970. For 1, MWO has poor SLi support, so even if you are forcing SLi, you aren't getting the 80% performance improvement over single card that SLi should provide. My guess is you are not even running SLi currently, so you are only getting half of the value of your 690. It sucks but unfortunately that is the way it is now with regard to SLi.

#13 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PosttheCheek, on 02 February 2015 - 03:58 AM, said:

So first world problems, but my triple screen setup for MWO running on a single Nvidia Geforce 690 is just not cutting it for CW. When in a CW drop my frames go below 30, which is not good enough for when getting Lurm-dumped on :)

So I'm thinking about buying a second 690 and SLI'ing them. I've looked through the forums and found many contradictory reports of SLI working and not working etc. I've even seen reports that my card is in fact not even being fully utilised as it is because its effectively 2 cards SLI'ed together anyway.

Any up to date advise on this before I actually take the plunge?

Domo Arigato

how has your fps been since patch? mine has sky rocketed in CW and also noticeably gone up in the normal que's... settings all high/very high except of course the evil particles to low

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users