• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

Russ Bullock said:

Released Feb 3rd patch.

Frame rate increase - We are expecting a noticeable frame rate increase with one change that was made; we will be looking post patch to analyze the amount of improvement.

Posted Image

#2 GenJack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

*Removed frame rate hogging trees ;)

#3 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

Probably a change to particles or shadows, and it better be a significant change that can't be made via the user.cfg.

#4 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 01:54 PM

I am hoping (but doubting) a change to the HUD

#5 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:06 PM

Here's hoping for an official definition.

#6 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

View PostLordred, on 02 February 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

I am hoping (but doubting) a change to the HUD

I've wanted this for so long that I hadn't even thought about it. One can dream!

#7 Havyek

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:25 PM

Changes to the HUD and a revamp of the advanced zoom module would be nice. I'd say just kibosh the picture in picture BS and just make it a 4x zoom.

#8 ZenFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrion's Bible Belt

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

Russ had mentioned in a recent townhall meeting that the coding for the hud was going to be simplified and it should have an impact on framerates.

#9 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:55 PM

Ready your Fiddles, cause I have a feeling they'll be playing us like a damn fiddle, sounds too good to be true:

#10 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:04 AM

I've just bought a Lenovo Z50-75 AMD laptop to replace my failing ASUS X54H. Now i bought it with my eyes open knowing full well that MWO would not like the AMD FX 7100 chip but i was hoping that the R7 260x card and 8gb ram would go someway to compensating. Besides otherwise it's a nice laptop and i have a desktop for gaming so i didn't buy it for MWO but i also didn't want onboard graphics either.

I was surprised and equally disappointed to notice just how bad the FPS is on low settings with some mild user.cfg tweaks Capped at 40 FPS (usually enough for me) in heavy firefights or with lots of mechs nearby it can drop into the teens but usually is around the high twenties low thirties, some maps being especially harsh on the FPS. There's loads of information on here about FX users and OC'ing it to 3.3GHZ but i'm hoping that PGI can at least do something.

PS, i need to sort out a better AV first than Macafee and do a OC profile for MWO but reluctant to OC it just yet.

Edited by mad kat, 03 February 2015 - 03:56 AM.

#11 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:30 AM

Did they honestly just say here's an FPS increase but we're not telling you why or how.....

#12 The Shredder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 178 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:48 AM

Here is a change that can have drastic improvement.

Go into your task manager. See if there is a service called Akami Net Session running. Disable it.

Restart PC, and then run game. Watch how many more FPS the game runs at with this one thing killed off.

And before you freak out, I still have yet to determine which program it was exactly that even installed this service. It isn't a part of the windows install. Absolutely NONE of my programs have had any negative impact from disabling it. Even if something did need it, it isn't uninstalled, and will simply turn back on if needed. To date (And it's been several months now) the service has never turned itself back on.

#13 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:57 AM

In training grounds, I can usually get FPS over 120 on the lowest settings. I fiddle with them and keep it a comfortable 80. Get in match... 20-40 at best. Run a recording program... 15-30 at best.

Unbelievable.

#14 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:41 AM

View PostThe Shredder, on 03 February 2015 - 03:48 AM, said:

Here is a change that can have drastic improvement.

Go into your task manager. See if there is a service called Akami Net Session running. Disable it.

Restart PC, and then run game. Watch how many more FPS the game runs at with this one thing killed off.

And before you freak out, I still have yet to determine which program it was exactly that even installed this service. It isn't a part of the windows install. Absolutely NONE of my programs have had any negative impact from disabling it. Even if something did need it, it isn't uninstalled, and will simply turn back on if needed. To date (And it's been several months now) the service has never turned itself back on.

http://www.akamai.com/client

Something you downloaded/installed somewhere prompted you to install this, you accepted.

From reading other snippets around the web it appears to be a P2P client of types that uses idle bandwidth to share files across it's network.
Most people seem to say it's harmless/legit.

#15 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:48 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 03 February 2015 - 03:57 AM, said:

Unbelievable.

Which part don't you understand?

#16 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:00 PM

So what's it looking like people?

What's actually changed, and it would be good to get some data on different setups before and after.

#17 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

I'm playing with an fps limiter a little over 60, so can't really judge it, deep drops are only in big brawls and that doesn't happen every game.

#18 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:28 PM

Well, I've started trying to figure out what it is that slows me down between vision modes (normal/night/heat) as well as why some maps are worse than others and what makes them worse.

I thought I was onto something till Viridian Bog made me realize that I wasn't quite there. Object detail set low and texturing set very high works quite well for almost all maps but for Viridian Bog which is suddenly a back breaker because of all the leaf textures. I'm still trying to figure out how much shaders and shadows really cuts down on performance and by how much on which maps.

I don't have a good idea what other things really do like post processing, and environment versus effects versus particles.

So I'm still searching for that good mix of what works for good video without catastrophic fps crashes, or other issues. Let's see how well the framerate changes help if anything though.

#19 bar10jim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 03 February 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Well, I've started trying to figure out what it is that slows me down between vision modes (normal/night/heat) as well as why some maps are worse than others and what makes them worse.

I thought I was onto something till Viridian Bog made me realize that I wasn't quite there. Object detail set low and texturing set very high works quite well for almost all maps but for Viridian Bog which is suddenly a back breaker because of all the leaf textures. I'm still trying to figure out how much shaders and shadows really cuts down on performance and by how much on which maps.

I don't have a good idea what other things really do like post processing, and environment versus effects versus particles.

So I'm still searching for that good mix of what works for good video without catastrophic fps crashes, or other issues. Let's see how well the framerate changes help if anything though.

Overall, the usual go-to items are:

Windowed Mode: Windowed
Motion Blur: Off
Damage Glow: Off
Particles: Low
Shading: Low
Shadows: Low
Anti-Aliasing: Off

I noticed large differences when turning off Damage Glow and Particles to low.

#20 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:08 PM

negligible gains. 1-3fps

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users