- - - - -

Clan Mechs Are Not Allowed In Faction Battles?

15 replies to this topic

#1 Ikarus Sharvas

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:47 AM

Hi,

As topic says. I liked the "Stormcrow" mech, so bought it, but when editing drop deck at faction battles and can't pick my "Stormcrow". Clan mechs are not allowed or am I missing someting? Thanks in advance.

#2 Ralgas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:54 AM

you've picked an is faction, hence is mechs only. to play a stormcrow you would need to wait out or break your current contract to become a clan faction, however that would lock you out of your is mechs for cw.

Edit: you are however free to play whatever you like in the general public queue

Edited by Ralgas, 04 February 2015 - 02:57 AM.

#3 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:55 AM

Exactly.

Clan mechs are only allowed to be used by clan players. Inner Sphere mechs are only allowed to be used by Inner Sphere players.

You can still use the clan mechs in public/private drops, but not in Community Warfare.

#4 AThousandD

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:56 AM

You are currently on contract to the Marik faction, which is Inner Sphere. In Community Warfare, you are only allowed to pilot mechs from a given side of the conflict. I.e. if you are Marik, you can only pilot Inner Sphere mechs.

If you want to pilot Clan mechs, you have to align to one of the Clans. Do this by waiting out your current contract, or breaking it (albeit at a pecuniary penalty) and then choosing to align with one of the Clans.

#5 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:57 AM

Ralgas got it. To help keep diversity they didn't want loads of IS players miraculously salvaging, maintaining and repairing/reequiping Clan mechs (even though none of those mechanics are in the game).

We're not the Mary Sue Black Thorns here you know? ;)

#6 Ikarus Sharvas

• Pip
  • Survivor
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:16 AM

Thank you for your replies. As i see there are 4 clans: Smoke Jaguar, Jade Falcon, Ghost Bear and Wolf. There is no difference which clan i will choose? Now it makes me wonder, should i choose clan/faction based on what mechs i want to use or are there other important factors?

Edited by Ikarus Sharvas, 04 February 2015 - 03:17 AM.

#7 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:30 AM

As far as 'mech selection is concerned, there are two factions; Inner Sphere and Clan. There are no IS House specific or Clan specific 'mechs currently (unless you're taking your RP very seriously).

#8 Ralgas

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationThe Wonderful world of OZ

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:49 AM

There has been discussion that In the future there may be mech based rewards (discounts or even full chassis after reaching a certain loyalty threshold) however there's nothing set in stone yet beyond the contract and loyalty c-bills.

that said if the faction sales continue as they have recently you may be able to pick up cheap mechs/paint etc. i'd keep an eye out for what happens on the weekend because i believe they have just about finished the is

Edited by Ralgas, 04 February 2015 - 03:52 AM.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:52 AM

Battletech (what Mechwarrior is based on) has a rich history told through many technical readouts and novels, it has been going for about 30 years and a lot of games.

over that time the various factions have each been given a backstory and a disticntive personality, if you know the lore you may well identiy with a specific faction in which case you would likely want to stick with that faction, this does not seem to be the case with you so there is no reasion not to keep switching arround various factions or you could pick one.

basicly close to 300 years ago a great alliance called the Star League collapsed, the 5 Great Houses making up the Star League went to war to decide who should take over as "First Lord of the Star League", over the next 300 years in a series of Sucession Wars the Great Houses of the Inner Sphere lost much technoligy, much of which has recently been rediscovered.

when the Star League collapsed a great general took the Star League Defense Force and departed the Inner Sphere, over the next 300 years they became the Clans, and have continued developing technoligy so they are more advanced than the IS factions, the Clans have returned to conquer or protect the Innersphere depending on which Clan, Wolf and Ghost Bear are trying to protect the IS, Smoke Jaguar and Jade Falcon beleve they should rule the IS, there are many other Clans who are still back in Clan space

if you are interested in learning more here are links telling you about the factions:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clans
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Inner_Sphere

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 04 February 2015 - 04:58 AM.

#10 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:05 AM

Can I jsut double check something real quick, apologies if I am somehwat hijacking this thread.

You can change from IS to Clan right?

#11 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 04 February 2015 - 04:10 AM

View PostBUDFORCE, on 04 February 2015 - 04:05 AM, said:

Can I jsut double check something real quick, apologies if I am somehwat hijacking this thread.

You can change from IS to Clan right?

Yes, you can. And vice versa.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:39 AM

when your contract runs out you can chose any faction, that is any of the 4 Clans or 6 IS factions.

as long as you remain under contract you cannot change faction, you can however buy out of a contract, if you buy out there is a 2 say wait before you can chose another faction after buying out.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:55 AM

View PostIkarus Sharvas, on 04 February 2015 - 03:16 AM, said:

Thank you for your replies. As i see there are 4 clans: Smoke Jaguar, Jade Falcon, Ghost Bear and Wolf. There is no difference which clan i will choose? Now it makes me wonder, should i choose clan/faction based on what mechs i want to use or are there other important factors?

At the moment, there are no other important factors.

There is a temporary difference in victory income pay (which is delivered in addition to your base earnings). This is only to help encourage players to join factions that are under-staffed, such as Clan Smoke Jaguars or House Liao.

In the future, other factors will come into play (Faction warfare was released Late December 2014, which is less than 2 months ago and is missing a lot of features).

Some of these have been said would include which now is 'may' include:
  • Logistical Concerns [ammo, repair supplies, transportation]
  • Base Upgrades [nothing to worry about unless you're in a large group, in which case it's just another advantage to large groups over pugs]
  • Repair and Rearm factors [related to logistics in a way]
  • Mech availability factors [Jade Falcon has lots of Summoners, not many Timber Wolves; getting Summoners is a lot easier. Wolf has lots of Timber Wolves, few Summoners. Getting Timber Wolves is a lot easier.]
    • ^--PGI's solution to the standard play issue is that all mechs are at a black market price, but if you join a faction and go for a faction specific mech you will see a reasonable discount so long as the factory planets that produce them are in your faction's control. Gives you a good reason to join the faction warfare even if you plan on minimal participation.
  • Part availability factors [Davions love ballistics, expect them to have the easiest time getting them. Liao had the monopoly on ECM, being the re-inventors of the technology. Mariks have the monopoly on XL engines. Etc.]
    • ^--Unknown whether or not this will come into play as it conflicts with standard play; though the identical solution provided above could work, however it would require weapon specific variants to have any real meaning other than everyone gets cheap guns if they join CW. (i.e. Deathgiver, Pontiac 100, Armstrong, Chemjet Gun, Crusher Super Heavy, Defiance Thunder Ultra, Defiance Disintegrator, Kali Yama Big Bore, Tomodzuru, Luxuor Devastator.. <--Just a couple of 20 class autocannon variants; each identical in the macro [10 seconds] but unique in the micro [real time]. Every single one of them are manufactured on one to six different planets which makes those planets valuable if you like that kind of AC/20; without variants, the part availability stuff is meaningless).
There are a number of other things that are supposed to come about.

Be certain to go no larger than "28 days" on your contract. It is ungodly expensive to get out of a permanent contract.
(edit: missing an S in logistical.)

Edited by Koniving, 04 February 2015 - 08:20 AM.

#14 Marcus Krenshaw

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:26 PM

I am new to faction play. I assume the clans can take less to a fight, correct? If I remember correctly, they fight 50% more than their tonnage. So if IS can take 265 tons, I imagine the clans are limited to ~180 tons? 180 + 90 = 270 tons. How are clan challenges worked out?

#15 Bigshep

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:21 PM

@ Marcus, Holy necro post batman!!!

As I have explained in another post you put up earlier.

Clan challenges, IE single combat do not happen, unless some RP clanners want to. CW is 12 man V 12 man group, be it a 12 man unit drop or a 12 man group of randoms.

IS have a 265 ton drop deck, Clan have a lower drop deck, 250 tons or so. Weapons and quirks even the playing field between clan and IS tech somewhat in MWO. There are heated arguments from the max/min players over which mech is better than another all the time.

#16 MechWarrior4023212

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 367 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:42 AM

Join Star Wolves Gaming in Wolf clan, come for the fun but stay for the rewards..

Edited by Ember Stormfield, 17 January 2016 - 01:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users