45 replies to this topic

#41 Thanatos676

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 703 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

When the Clans come, I hope their mechs are superior (as they should be). I also hope there is a system much like bidding, where if one team with Clan mechs can only have say 2 Stars worth of mechs (10 people) compared to maybe 4 lances worth of IS mechs (16 people). If the clan team has Clan tech they should be forced to have less teammates, and that would be lore friendly as that is how the clans operated. They would use the least amount of mechs and troops to achieve their goal.

#42 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

@Looney

The Clans are quite elite in many ways. I will never claim that this will rub off on the players that choose them. What may rub off is the fact that their ways are alien, even anathema to homegrown IS cutthroats and backstabbers. Or at least I hope it does. Otherwise there is a real danger that they are simply reduced to their shiny toys without any disadvantages. You may ask what these disadvantages are and if you look close enough you will find that Clan warriors live a rather spartan life. They don't own anything apart from the stuff they put into their billets. The Clan owns them completely including their soul. Their only currency is performance and/or honor. When you read 'death before dismount', imagine this to be the average mindset of a Clan warrior. Failing is simply not an option. A glorious death would at least give them hope to have their ashes fed to new generations and maybe earn a verse in the remembrance. Mediocrity won't get them recognition, honor or a blood name and even then, 'immortality' is not guaranteed. There were plenty warriors that had their whole legacy wiped out for seemingly trivial reasons.

Now look at the IS. The average Mechwarrior makes the average Clanner look like a beggar, simply because ownership of Mechs and other worldly goods is not uncommon. Sure, you may ask what difference does it make to the players out there. Imagine their shock when they suddenly realize that money can't buy them anything in the Clan society. They might have to learn a thing or two about them before they can progress. Would that be so bad?

#43 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:39 AM

Looney is correct in that there should not be two sets of rules for different factions. The Idea is to reward those who follow Zellbringing no matter what faction they belong to. this way noone is left out. Everyone has the possability to earn the same rewards.

#44 BlazeKaiser

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:09 AM

Clan mechs better be damn superior.

Zellbringen is an idea, but it doesnt matter much in full combat.

various artillery, guided weapons, and anything "non-brawler" is basically against the rules, and people will use them anyways, how can you penalize a player?

Zellbringen would work great in arena matches.

#45 Sleipnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

View PostBlazeKaiser, on 01 July 2012 - 03:09 AM, said:

Zellbringen would work great in arena matches.

I'd really like to see this as a game mode tbh. Hopefully it'll be added at some point ;)

#46 Feindfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 234 posts
  • LocationNew Hessen

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

I sure like the idea of Zellbrigen for claners, as it adds to the flavor of the game, though i have no interest to join the clans once (or if) they become available. But the OP mentions that this would somehow help in balancing the game and i have to ask... in what way? If i'm sitting in my underperforming IS mech, how does it help me that i have the option to fight against a single, technological superior clan mech.
He's still better equipped than me, and im still cannonfodder.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users