18 replies to this topic

#1 bruceisnice

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:43 PM

Hello!

I'm a new player (2-3 weeks) and I'm liking it so far. There are a couple frustrations now and then, but all in all, its a fun game. And I suppose it could actually get better once I start making in game friends and dabble into groupings and CW, etc. I still suck, but, you know, at least Im trying ;)

A couple of Qs I have:

1) Jump Jets: Does having more JJ actually allows you to fly longer, or just higher (more impulse)?

2) Im not sure I understand crit mechanics, could you explain?

3) Is it me that is ********, or some prices are kinda ridiculous in this game? Example: Buying a 275 xl engine costs 4.5 mil credits, but buying a mech that comes with it (+resell value of mech and equipment) costs 3 mil credits. Are there any other things that you can get cheap without being credit-wallet-***** like a noob that I should be aware of?

4) Why do people say machine guns are useless unless aiming at unarmored parts? Do they have hidden damage modifiers or what? And why do some people say "Don't bother with MGs unless you got 3-4 of em"? Why is 2 bad but 3 good?

5) Is it just me or do weapons like AC5s tend to fire out of the reticule. I played a mech with 2 AC5s (wolverine 6r I think), and even while standing still, at about 500m, the bullets where going anywhere but where I was aiming. Are they all like that? It kinda made me hate ballistic weapons.

6) Not a question, just a remark: Viridian Bog sucks (imo) ;)

Im sure I'll have more Qs coming up, thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to answer some of them.

Bruce

#2 bruceisnice

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

One more:

7) Do modules sometimes become cheaper, as in events or challenges, or they they even give some away once in a while? Those things are costly.

#3 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,363 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:54 PM

1) Just higher, as a result also go up faster which is useful in itself.
2) Someone will be able to clarify better this one, but broadly speaking:
No critical damage will occur while there is armor.
Once unarmoured a location will receive critical damage to a random component.
3) Mechs are worth their components price, only exception is when there is a sale, then you can buy mechs at discount.
4) Because Machine guns have a pitiful damage but when they hit an armoured component they have an increased chance to crit, that said machine guns are a secondary weapon ...
5) I think probably you were firing weapons in the arms. Torso weapons fire on the reticule, arm weapons fire on the small (very) circle that moves around your reticle as if it was your mouse pointer.
6) You have good mechwarrior tastes, it sucks indeed.
7) We have an upcoming discount to weapon modules after this weekend ... lucky ##@@!! the first I see since I play :D http://mwomercs.com/...e-mark-ii-event

Last edit: that said weapon modules are not really a priority, if you are starting at this game the priorities should be:
Buying 3 variants of the same mech, so you can master it.
Buying Radar Deprivation and possibly Seismic Sensors.

Edited by Brizna, 05 February 2015 - 07:00 PM.

#4 Triordinant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:56 PM

View Postbruceisnice, on 05 February 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

Hello!

I'm a new player (2-3 weeks) and I'm liking it so far. There are a couple frustrations now and then, but all in all, its a fun game. And I suppose it could actually get better once I start making in game friends and dabble into groupings and CW, etc. I still suck, but, you know, at least Im trying ;)

A couple of Qs I have:

1) Jump Jets: Does having more JJ actually allows you to fly longer, or just higher (more impulse)?

3) Is it me that is ********, or some prices are kinda ridiculous in this game? Example: Buying a 275 xl engine costs 4.5 mil credits, but buying a mech that comes with it (+resell value of mech and equipment) costs 3 mil credits. Are there any other things that you can get cheap without being credit-wallet-***** like a noob that I should be aware of?

4) Why do people say machine guns are useless unless aiming at unarmored parts? Do they have hidden damage modifiers or what? And why do some people say "Don't bother with MGs unless you got 3-4 of em"? Why is 2 bad but 3 good?

5) Is it just me or do weapons like AC5s tend to fire out of the reticule. I played a mech with 2 AC5s (wolverine 6r I think), and even while standing still, at about 500m, the bullets where going anywhere but where I was aiming. Are they all like that? It kinda made me hate ballistic weapons.

Im sure I'll have more Qs coming up, thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to answer some of them.

Bruce

1) The latest on jump jets: http://mwomercs.com/...ump-jet-update/

2) Crits: http://mwomercs.com/...-a-brief-guide/

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:45 PM

Welcome to MWO:

Lets see what I can address:

• A little bit of both, with a lot of leaning towards higher rather than longer.
  • Crits are short for "critical slot hits" as the term referred to the source material where damage to a mech's equipment is attributed to a specific critical slot when a critical slot hit occurs.
  • In MWO, crits have a health system instead of "instant slot destruction." Typically 10 health. Gauss has 5 or 7 [can't remember now, I do know it went up from 3]. AC/20 has 18.
  • Any damage to a specified slot is dealt to the weapon or equipment occupying it.
  • Rolls on empty slots are re-rolled. (Using the Rolling Crits rule from the tabletop game).
  • The more stuff you have in your mech, the more spread the damage gets.
  • See these image for more details.
Posted Image

Posted Image

• It's easier to acquire engines that are part of mechs at times than getting engines + upgrades + etc. for mechs after the fact as separate entities. So that should help.
The cost of an XL 275 engine is 4,491,667 in MWO.
The cost of an XL 275 engine for a 55 ton mech in Battletech (the source material) is... 4,679,450.

Unfortunately that is the only comparison we have as no other mechs in BT can use a 275 engine.
But an XL 280 on a light 35 ton mech is 2,646,000 in BT.

For a 25 ton mech, an XL 200 engine is 1,333,333.
For a 50 ton mech, an XL 200 engine is 2,666,667.
For a 100 ton mech, an XL 200 engine is 5,333,333 in BT.

Those same XL 200 engines in MWO are a flat 3,266,500.
  • So in some cases you're getting conned and in some cases you're getting off scott-free (an XL 300 for a 100 ton mech is 12+ million cbills). This is because rather than having specified copies of engines for each mech that are incompatible with one another, PGI chose one standardized set of engines and used those prices.

If it says anything, the Shadowhawk 5M is supposed to be over 10 million, but it's 8 mil.
The Dire Wolf is supposed to be 30 million, it's 17 million.
The Atlas K is supposed to be 22 million, it's 13 million.

• Against armor they do 0.08 damage per bullet at a rate of 10 bullets per second (so one MG does 0.8 damage per second).
  • 4 MGs = 3.2 damage per second.
  • Now against unarmored targets, they do anywhere from 0.08 damage per bullet to a maximum of 0.116 per bullet. This is because of the crit damage (minimum of none, maximum of triple crit for one bullet and 15% of that is added as extra damage caused by the bullet against internal structure).
  • Now assume that every single bullet triple crits and you have 4 MGs, that's 4.64 damage per second.
  • MGs shine their brightest against unarmored targets because of super high crit-rates for them in addition to how well they strip internal equipment. 4 MGs can destroy an enemy's AC/20 in seconds or less!

• ACs have bullet drop. It should be noted that the game also has convergence. Weapons will try to converge where the reticule is set. Are you in first person or third person? If in third person you may notice the reticule bounces to various distances. In first person you can't see it, but the reticule is doing EXACTLY that; bouncing to various distances and the weapons try to converge to where it is at the time you fire.
  • Did you fire while the reticule pointed at something 1,500 meters away for that one split second when lining up against that target 270 meters away? Oh yeah that thing is gonna miss. Whoooosh. Totally missed.

• Matter of opinion. I think the layout sucks. The idea however is pretty good. Though honestly, short of the marshes... in a real Battletech experience that thing would become an inferno whether accidentally or intentionally.

7) Do modules sometimes become cheaper, as in events or challenges, or they they even give some away once in a while? Those things are costly.
  • The "Primary Objective" challenge going on right now is to see if players acrue enough score to make weapon modules cheaper as we speak. Modules are considered "end game" equipment, and from a lore perspective you may as well call them either LostTech equipment, or simply black market upgrades where you could lose your life if a deal goes south.

Edited by Koniving, 05 February 2015 - 07:48 PM.

#6 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

Welcome!

I'll just focus on a few questions.

Sorta, but know that jumping too high can be an issue, by exposing your mech for too long and if you fall from too great a height too fast you will damage your legs.

So the number of JJs you bring depends on the mech weight and what you need them for.

For example, I tend to prefer two to four JJs and have become accustomed to how they work compared to the six locked on the Mist Lynx, I still haven't adjusted to how it can seem to float in the air longer.

It's due to how they spread damage in a cone around the crosshair. Also they are hit scan like lasers so where ever you point your MG's you'd do damage, and damage is very low against armor. Against internals they get a small boost and so stacking more than three is therefore commonly recommended.

You will need to learn how to lead with ballistic weapons since they have bullet drop over distance. With the 6R I liked using it close up so I wouldn't need to worry as much about leading my targets.

Ballistic Weapons are quite deadly in-general also.

View Postbruceisnice, on 05 February 2015 - 06:50 PM, said:

You are in luck since there is a Community Event this weekend!

#7 bruceisnice

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:04 PM

@Everyone:

Amazing in depht answers, tyvm for taking the time to do that.

Regarding 1) JJ, I think Im figuring it out playing around with my firestarter. So far I'd day you can do with 1 on most maps, certain maps require 2 to get to certain places fast. But above that, I guess its a matter of getting a hang of fighting while in mid air, as it seems to allow some nice defensive or even offensive tactics (dodging fire, jumping above enemies, etc)

2) Crits and 4) MGs, I think I get it better now, they're kinda linked together.

Regarding 5) AC5's spread fire, I tried it again and same thing. It's not the arm reticule as I still play locked on most mechs so far. It might just be the "aim on the target 400m in front of you or loose aim and aim at the mountain 1000m away" thing, dunno.

On the topic of 7) Modules, tyvm for pointing out the events ;)

All in all, amazing answers from you guys.

So far I've managed to master the TDRs and the Firestarters. I was lucky enough to grab 3 mech bays from the challenge last week, it was a blessing. And I must say I like lights a lot. Managed to pull a couple of 700-900 damage games, was exciting. Next in line are the Wolverines I guess.

8) Any medium mechs that plays kind of like a light? Very fast, close ranged knifers, Whats the faster Medium? And how fast can the Wolverines go with top engines?

9) Should I just concentrate on getting 4 IS mechs all elited for CW or can I dabble into clan? Some of those enemy mechs look interesting to me ;)

10) Do Light mechs get bonus Cbills over say heavy? When I play a heavy I have a hard time going over 100k, with a light, it seems to happen often. Do they get mods to income?

11) I may drop a couple bucks into the game, so what do you suggest I do with it? I was thinking a cheap hero mech (prolly a light cause I like the playstyle), maybe a couple more mech bays, anything else worth it?

Again, tyvm for your answers, always appreciated to find a nice community backbone in a game. And people taking THEIR time to answer someone they dont know, <3

#8 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:24 PM

5) If your target is moving, you must lead the target (fire in front of the target in the direction it's moving) with ballistic weapons. The farther away, the more you need to lead. The projectile is "slow" compared to a beam of light like a laser, so aiming takes some practice with ballistics.

#9 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:38 PM

View Postbruceisnice, on 05 February 2015 - 10:04 PM, said:

8) Any medium mechs that plays kind of like a light? Very fast, close ranged knifers, Whats the faster Medium? And how fast can the Wolverines go with top engines?

9) Should I just concentrate on getting 4 IS mechs all elited for CW or can I dabble into clan? Some of those enemy mechs look interesting to me ;)

10) Do Light mechs get bonus Cbills over say heavy? When I play a heavy I have a hard time going over 100k, with a light, it seems to happen often. Do they get mods to income?

11) I may drop a couple bucks into the game, so what do you suggest I do with it? I was thinking a cheap hero mech (prolly a light cause I like the playstyle), maybe a couple more mech bays, anything else worth it?

• 8) If you are enjoying your light mechs and are looking to step up, the Cicada essentially a Jenner with an extra 5 tons to play with. The Trebuchet and Vindicator also favor the jumpy hit-and-run play style that you should already be familiar with.
  • 9) This is a matter of personal taste but I would suggest mastering out a few different mechs and having a solid grasp of all the mechanics before you dive into CW, it really is a different ball game.
  • 10) Not at the moment no. though back in the day (shakes walking stick) lights an mediums tended to make substantially more CBills per match due to Repair and Rearm costs.
  • 11) Best investment IMO is mech bays, followed by the mastery packs if you've found a chassis that you know you like. Depending on how much you're looking to spend I'd also consider one of the actual pre-order / a la carte packs, they tend to be a better dollar value than just straight MC.

Beyond that if you're looking for some friendly games, to get into CW, or just general advice feel free to drop me a line in game, or on our public team-speak server (ts3.hhod.com:7345).

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the game. ;)

Edited by HlynkaCG, 05 February 2015 - 11:50 PM.

#10 Metafox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 360 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:42 PM

A few things to add to previous questions:

3) Some equipment is very expensive and can dwarf the cost of the mech itself. According to lore, some equipment is supposed to be new and advanced and these prices represent that. The mech that you were looking at with the 275 engine probably came with a much cheaper standard engine. If it had come with a 275XL then it probably would cost an extra few million.

4) A single machine gun isn't too powerful, they're more effective when you fire a bunch all at once. In theory, one or two machine guns is better than no machine guns. In practice, firing one or two machine guns is not worth the extra time and concentration that it takes.

5) When firing an AC, the bullets don't go straight out. They auto-aim inwards a little bit so that, ideally, they converge on the point where you're aiming. They don't always converge perfectly and the farther apart your weapons are, they more likely they are to spread the damage instead of all hitting the same component.

8) The cicada is a 40 ton medium mech and it can easily be mistaken for a light mech. It's shaped like a large jenner. You can check out wolverine speeds by building one at this website:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

If you're planning to put a 375 engine in a wolverine, keep in mind that those larger engines tend to have diminishing returns for speed vs. tonnage. Those gigantic engines are rarely worth taking because they're so heavy.

10) Light mechs don't get much of a bonus. They've added some extra rewards that are supposed to be tailored towards lights, but it's your damage and kills that will net you the most reward in the end. That said, some light mechs can consistently do a ton of damage and get plenty of cbills.

11) You might consider buying some colors if you're interested. Once you buy a color, it permanently unlocks for all mechs. They go on sale from time to time, so if you want to save money then you might consider waiting for another color sale.

Edited by Metafox, 05 February 2015 - 11:45 PM.

#11 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:08 AM

If you run a light, think about taking a TAG. The tag bonus is very nice and will let you contribute to the team while being out of range of a lot of weapons.

#12 Hammer 13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 111 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 February 2015 - 08:08 AM

View Postmailin, on 06 February 2015 - 03:08 AM, said:

If you run a light, think about taking a TAG. The tag bonus is very nice and will let you contribute to the team while being out of range of a lot of weapons.

My wife was watching me play my 4J once and remarked, she had never seen me earn so many xp or kill a mech that fast before and asked what that pink laser was? I replied that I had been out of lrm for several minutes and that everyone else killed that mech, I just tagged/locked him up for them. Direwolf, dead in 6 seconds from LRMs. It was pretty incredible.

#13 DelphiAuriga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 166 posts
  • LocationCanary Islands, in the planet Skandia ;)

Posted 06 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

:) :) WELCOME TO MECHWARRIOR :) :)

1) Both things. More JJs = more flying and faster.

2) http://www.qqmercs.c...l-hits-and-you/

3) U may saying when those mechs are on sale. Then thats true.

When not in sale, each mech costs a base depending in weight+all in components prizes, so it costs u exactly the same to buy the XL, but u also have to pay for the rest of items that u dont want. Its a good choice to buy mech exclusively for the engine during sales, cause as u said, during sales the engines can be cheaper than selling prize just for the fact that it comes in a mech costing 35% less.

Here is the Clan Mechs Prizes breakdown, as a very accurate dev-sided example: http://mwomercs.com/...cing-breakdown/

4) Explained in article in 2): http://www.qqmercs.c...l-hits-and-you/

I like 2+ MGs builds and i think they are good ones, but again, carry less ammo (500 bullets/MG is more than enough, due to range u will be using them only 5% of the battle time) and upgrade ur main weapons. Range is important in the gameplay.

All this change in a fast mech (120kph+ speed), cause that mech can actually dictate the range whr its engaging, so u can build it with a LOT of small weapons (MG, SmallLasers, SmallPulseLasers, ShortRangeMissilles, etc.....) and close the range in time to make the weapon payload its carrying worth. Anyways i prefer to lay in wait a little in these mechs to get less attention, and engage when the enemy is engaging something with more armour :P

5) Explained in article in 2): http://www.qqmercs.c...l-hits-and-you/

They actually "fire" in a cone, that is increased when the weapon range is reduced, with the exception of the LB-10X, but its mechanics are explained in the article.

Basically: The end of the cone drop height with distance, gravity effect, but the bullet u see hitting is NOT the bullet the game is using to calculate whr the hit goes. This is specially noticeable in the AC20 and the MG when they are fired in their extreme range, and more in the AC20. The actual hits can go anywhr near the place u aimed at, cause their "cones of fire", that are the areas the game really use to randomly assign whr the hit goes, are the widest ones. Obviously, in short ranges (200meters for the AC20 and 100meters for the MG, approx) the hit "goes" whr its aimed, but is simply that the surface of the cone is reduced to the point whr all its area its inside the part u are aiming at.

6) Its a good map for short-range mechs with jumpjets, but not one of those maps that u actually want to play to much, yeah. Playing it more than 3 times in 10 games makes u feel like "noooo.......BOG AGAIN!!!" ;)

View Postbruceisnice, on 05 February 2015 - 06:50 PM, said:

7) Improve the Air or Arty strike, improve the CoolShoot 9 to make it 9by9, improve the UAV. Consumables are a vastly cheaper invest in modules while u grind.

I do NOT share his last opinions in most things he advice, but all the info about modules is here pretty much summed and explained: http://metamechs.com...ot-skill-guide/

At a time, i suggest u to check those 2 webs. Their articles are nice to learn how the game works.
http://metamechs.com/
http://www.qqmercs.com/articles/

8) 50 tons mechs are ur choice. They pack the best compromise in these things: speed, engine efficiency speed, engine ratio, weight to carry weapons, silouette (they are big compared to lights, but still not as much as a TimberWolf or Cataphract).

45 toners have the WORSE ratio due to engines. They have little armour and are slow (around 80kph, that is too slow for its low armour). BlackJacks are nice mechs anyways, cause the arms are placed up and u can allways fire ur weapons if u see ur enemy, or expose little to fire, but the Vidicator is a no-no mech.

9) Should I just concentrate on getting 4 IS mechs all elited for CW or can I dabble into clan? Some of those enemy mechs look interesting to me

9) Its better to find a Unit first that will help u in that. The team strategy may require other things that the ones u think it needs :)

10) Cbills reward system is explained here in detail: http://www.qqmercs.c...warrior-online/

11) BUY MECH BAYS. Really, its by far the best investment. The rest go up to u, i own 2 of the 3 heros they are gonna reward for the Annyversary, and i think that 4 hero mechs at 40$, the cost of the deluxe pack of UrbanMechs that comes with a hero mech itself, its right now ur best invest in mechs with real money:
Info about this: http://mwomercs.com/...iation-rewards/
UrbanMech info: http://mwomercs.com/urbanmech

Or if u prefer a more bulky pack, the most reasonable right now would be to buy Resistance top, 80$-->7 hero mechs (3 from annyversary and 4 from the pack itself, and not as slow as the UrbanMech :P ), 8 normal mechs, and all its mechbays. I think is probably best for a starter: http://mwomercs.com/resistance

See u in the battlefield ^_^

Edited by DelphiAuriga, 06 February 2015 - 10:56 AM.

#14 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

10. Not directly, but they seem to indirectly, but this varies from player to player. There are small bonuses for hanging near heavy and assault mechs. Mediums get a bonus for hanging near Assaults. Anything bigger gets nothing extra. Lights have a lot of speed and are more likely to pick up scouting assists, locking assists for LRMs, and ECM or counter ECM assists. They have the speed to be able to move across the whole battlefield and can more easily get assists on more mechs, or fly in to save the day when one of their buddies are in trouble. Lights and mediums used to not pay out as well until they redid the rewards some months ago. However, they haven't added much for heavies and assaults to earn. Raw damage doesn't earn as much as it used to so some of those players complain about cbill nerfs. They probably favor heavies and assaults.

Forgot 11. Go with the Ember. You already have Firestarters, it is one of the best heros. The Pirate's Bane (locust) is one I'd like to pick up but I'm waiting for a sale (on a cheap hero, I know), but that one is probably better off if you already own and can play Locusts without smacking your head against the wall.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 06 February 2015 - 10:13 AM.

#15 H00L1GAN

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

Posted 06 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

"[color=#959595]9) Should I just concentrate on getting 4 IS mechs all elited for CW or can I dabble into clan? Some of those enemy mechs look interesting to me [/color] ;)"

Sounds like you made your choice. Enemy... pfft!

#16 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 07 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

Regarding 5) AC5's spread fire, I tried it again and same thing. It's not the arm reticule as I still play locked on most mechs so far. It might just be the "aim on the target 400m in front of you or loose aim and aim at the mountain 1000m away" thing, dunno.

Regarding that (because I did not see anyone else cover this - though I may have missed it)

There is no cone of fire in the game with 3 exceptions (not counting spread weapons)

1) MG
2) Flammers
3) When Jump Jetting

#17 bruceisnice

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 27 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 07 February 2015 - 09:12 PM, said:

Regarding that (because I did not see anyone else cover this - though I may have missed it)

There is no cone of fire in the game with 3 exceptions (not counting spread weapons)

1) MG
2) Flammers
3) When Jump Jetting

Well then, I dont know what to say... I havent tried it again, but I guess I,,l have to run a test map to figure out whats wrong. As I said, it was with a Wolverine, no JJ. Firing in sequence with the 2 ac5's, one would go say at my reticule's 1 hours, the other one would go at it's 9. As if there was some spread kinda thing.

Regarding CW, would a deck made of a Firestarter, a Thunderbolt, a Wubverine and a Battlemaster be acceptable as a starter drop deck? Or is that too much short range for CW? I'd really like to get some more Mech Bays soon, and so far I have the Wolverine, FS and TDR. I was thinking of grabing the Battlemaster to round up my 240 tons. Remember I still just have 6 mech bays so far, and very limited CBills, so its not like I can equip all my mechs with modules or best engines easily. If not, what would you recommend I'd focus on next? I like the playstyle of the 3 mechs I have so far. I've tried others (A Raven, a Hunchback and a Shadowhawk) and finally decided to sell them back for now. No point in playing if youre not enjoying yourself right?

Good news is I'm really starting getting good with the TDR and FS, at least for my "good" standard. I regularly pull 400-600 damage and 1-2 kills almost every TDR game, playing way more cautiously then before, but learning to flank or move in at the right time. The income from these games is getting better too. The firestarter is also getting slowly there, and I can imagine once I get the radar deprivation and seismic modules, it will get even better.

Liking the game, but getting a bit repetitive some nights. Thats why I'd like to dabble into CW and find some team that will have me soon.

(Edit: Forgot to say thanks for the answers. You guys are the best)

Edited by bruceisnice, 08 February 2015 - 08:52 PM.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:03 AM

There's been a bug where a Hunchback's weapons would aim a few degrees off toward the North direction.
I suppose it bears some testing to see if Wolverines might be suffering from this.

Battlemasters are pretty solid. I used to only really like the 1S, but after quirks the 1G feels somewhat insanely overpowered for an IS mech (its MLs reach as far as Clan ER ML, with reduced beam times allowing for more concentrated damage and faster firing rates on top of -- you guessed it -- heat reductions).

Edited by Koniving, 09 February 2015 - 06:03 AM.

#19 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:07 AM

as for your dropdeck I have ran a virturly identical deck in CW (I replaced the Wolverine with a 16 SRM Griffin) and it worked fine.

I usualy try to take Mechs with a variaty of range profiles, unless the team requests otherwise I tend to take 1 Sniper (TDR-9S, Gauss JM6 or Gauss/ERLL SHD), 1 LRM boat (BLR-1S or CTLP-C1), 1 Brawler (GRF-3M or AS7-D-DC) and 1 harrasser (FS9-E, FS9-S or SDR-5D).

your standard for a good match is the same as mine, I had been playing for almost 2 years before passing 650 damage, and I have still only done it in the FS9-A (once), TDR-9S (twice) and Timber Wolf (lost count, first time was literly my first ever game in the TBR-C using what should have been a joke build)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users