Panther And Enforcer In Game Models....thoughts And Opinions?

173 replies to this topic

#141 Clint Steel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 567 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:27 AM

--Like the OP I like the Panther. The Enforcer on the other hand doesn't match the concepts proportions, unfortunately for the worse.

--Look at the head, its much higher up further forward, and bigger. This makes the rest of the torso not look as good. Just look at the picture, cover up the head, and compare it to the concept and you'll see it looks a lot closer.

--This is one of the reasons I don't normally pre-order packages, their concept artist has a lot better understanding of good looking proportions than their modelers (for the most part), so you don't know what you are going to get until they are in game.
--To be fair the concept art gets to look cooler no matter what, since the stance of the Mech isn't dictated by in game animations (holding arms straight out) But thats only a small part of the issue). Another issue that might be causing the problem here is that the 3D artists might be trying to make the cockpits actually fit people in them(though certain mechs obviously don't follow that hypothesis, like the Commando) so the had to increase the head size.

--I did pre-order this package though, because of the addition of the loyalty mechs which are like extra heros, because I already know how the looked (not a huge fan of their camo's but its liveable).

Edited by Clint Steel, 09 February 2015 - 06:54 AM.

#142 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:39 AM

View PostAxeface, on 09 February 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

Can a pre-order be cancelled? I would rather ditch the enforcer now I have seen the model and put that money into an urbie package.

you can write to the support and say you are not so pleased with the result as expected and instead use the money for an urbie pack, etc and such.

#143 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:58 AM

View PostAxeface, on 09 February 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

Can a pre-order be cancelled? I would rather ditch the enforcer now I have seen the model and put that money into an urbie package.

I'm a bit on the verge myself. Even though I bought Wrath just because....I was mostly interested for the Enforcer. And boy howdy did they butcher that thing up. If I were Alex I'd be sick. Sadly, they did so much of it so right...then either ran out of time, got lazy or couldn't figure out the angles for the concept art's head.

SMH

#144 Greenjulius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:18 AM

I actually bought the package for the Grasshopper and maybe the Zeus. The Enforcer was just icing on the cake, with the Panther being expected to suck. It's nice to see that the Panther looks good, and may actually be a handy mech.

I still don't understand all the hate for the Enforcer. We haven't even seen the unique geometry variant and people are out with pitchforks and torches, crying for blood.

I think if you simply change the colors (which you can) on the Enforcer, it will look better.

#145 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:24 AM

View PostGreenjulius, on 09 February 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

I still don't understand all the hate for the Enforcer. We haven't even seen the unique geometry variant and people are out with pitchforks and torches, crying for blood.

My issue with it is the head. I like the legs, torsos and arms, its a good model and all - but for me the scaling of the cockpit throws the whole design off. I was really thinking of upgrading for the grasshopper, i like energy boats and I like the concept - but yeh, I've learnt quickly not to buy on the merit of the concepts.

#146 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:58 AM

View PostGreenjulius, on 09 February 2015 - 08:18 AM, said:

I actually bought the package for the Grasshopper and maybe the Zeus. The Enforcer was just icing on the cake, with the Panther being expected to suck. It's nice to see that the Panther looks good, and may actually be a handy mech.

I think if you simply change the colors (which you can) on the Enforcer, it will look better.

Colors won't change the head's geometry which is just sloppy, bloated and bad.

#147 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:04 AM

View PostAxeface, on 09 February 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

My issue with it is the head. I like the legs, torsos and arms, its a good model and all - but for me the scaling of the cockpit throws the whole design off. I was really thinking of upgrading for the grasshopper, i like energy boats and I like the concept - but yeh, I've learnt quickly not to buy on the merit of the concepts.

https://twitter.com/...831499245977601
Time for you folks to be proactive. Don't give me the "I don't twitter" crap. Neither did I. Till I found out, whether I liked it or not, it was the fastest way to get the Devs attention.

It's fast, it's free, you never have to look at it again after. But you want solutions work with me to let Russ see how we feel.

#148 TheDevilsIncarnate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts
  • LocationOutside Your House With A 'Mech

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

Is the Enforcer what I wanted? No.

Is it still the mech that I require for all Davion and dakka goodness? F*** yeah.

The model isn't great, but then again, I won't be looking at it during CW so I really don't care.

#149 Axeface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 655 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:28 AM

I thought i'de also do an image edit to show the general changes that I think should be done to the enforcer cockpit. Obviously this is just a hack, the panels would need to be reshaped properly, but i think the smaller features look more like the concept.

Posted Image

Edited by Axeface, 09 February 2015 - 09:30 AM.

#150 TheDevilsIncarnate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts
  • LocationOutside Your House With A 'Mech

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:33 AM

YES. That looks fantastic, especially the head. I like what you did with the gun barrel, not too long, but it looks like a threat at least.

#151 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 09 February 2015 - 04:06 AM, said:

I'm glad PGI takes liberties though. If they didn't, we wouldn't have our beautiful Catapult (torso and legs anyway) or the cool Centurion. Both those mechs benefitted from artistic redesign. Even the Timber Wolf is an improvement. The torso no longer looks like a WWII bomber cockpit protruding from a large brick.

I suppose artistic license means you take the good with the bad. I also am not crazy about their "vision" when it comes to the Enforcer cockpit, but then they turn around and make that sweet looking Panther.

Just got to take the good with the bad I suppose.

Oh I am happy they are willing to almost completely redesign some mechs. Especially for the Catapult and Stalker, because they looked absolutely silly in the lore. But in this case it just feels rather uninspired. Looks more like a Clone Trooper helmet. and its so Off from the original its kinda glaring.

Everyone probably knows how little I care for lore, and the fact that I wished they followed the lore a bit more should speak about how bad I think the head is for the enforcer.

#152 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:44 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 09 February 2015 - 04:06 AM, said:

I'm glad PGI takes liberties though. If they didn't, we wouldn't have our beautiful Catapult (torso and legs anyway) or the cool Centurion. Both those mechs benefitted from artistic redesign. Even the Timber Wolf is an improvement. The torso no longer looks like a WWII bomber cockpit protruding from a large brick.

I suppose artistic license means you take the good with the bad. I also am not crazy about their "vision" when it comes to the Enforcer cockpit, but then they turn around and make that sweet looking Panther.

Just got to take the good with the bad I suppose.

I'm good with the redesigns, not so good for the differences in concept and models. Especially when one pays in advanced based on the concept. I paid for a porsche and somebody swapped it with a New Beetle.

#153 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:49 AM

I am happy with them. Scale is my concern and always will be. Most Mediums are just too big.

#154 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:59 AM

View Postcdlord, on 09 February 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

I am happy with them. Scale is my concern and always will be. Most Mediums are just too big.

Sure.

But I, I think like most people, got into big stompy robots because they looked cool.
Posted Image
Not like a Getter Robo meets Forrest Gump

#155 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:10 AM

I'm not saying that the head of the Enforcer isn't ehhhh, I'm just stating that sometimes we get really good designs and sometimes we don't.

I will say this though, I can't recall the in game model EVER looking as good or better than the concept art. In a way, I expect it to look a bit more ehh in execution (as sad as that is). Still, if we can get PGI to change it, bonus to us. I'm just afraid it's too late by the time the model is finalized. Its worth a try though.

#156 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 09 February 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

I'm not saying that the head of the Enforcer isn't ehhhh, I'm just stating that sometimes we get really good designs and sometimes we don't.

I will say this though, I can't recall the in game model EVER looking as good or better than the concept art. In a way, I expect it to look a bit more ehh in execution (as sad as that is). Still, if we can get PGI to change it, bonus to us. I'm just afraid it's too late by the time the model is finalized. Its worth a try though.

I'll take the in game model of the Orion of the harvey bullock slovenly looking concept. While not the whole model, the in game arms on the Jager are way better than the concept art, IMO.

#157 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 February 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

Sure.

But I, I think like most people, got into big stompy robots because they looked cool.
Posted Image

With a dire need of Male Enhancement too no less.

#158 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

A longer barrel on the enforcer would be awesome!

#159 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:43 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 February 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

Sure.

Posted Image

I'm just an easy cheap date I guess. ;) As long as it looks better than most TRO artwork and that's not asking much... :D

#160 Trashhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 09 February 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

(...)
I will say this though, I can't recall the in game model EVER looking as good or better than the concept art.
(...)

I can name ONE case: Raven.

On the Concept Raven, the Laser Arm was rather low, lower then on the final In game Model.
I - personally - like the in game model more, due to that.

However, PGi ruined that by replacing the Laser-Barrels with the standardized Laser Cubes™
(which sometimes ARE better, see Quickdraw, Chest-Lasers; they would look... odd, if they would have barrels).

34 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 34 guests, 0 anonymous users