17 replies to this topic

#1 NameNotAvailable

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:31 AM

I need a bit of help please.

For the purposes of targetting faster for LRM and Streaks, which is better, BAP or Command Console,

the game shows Command Console as reducing targetting time by 42.5% along with a 12% zoom and 6% sensor range improvement.

however for BAP it just says : improves sensor range, targetting time and counters ECM.

does anyone know the numbers for the targetting time reduction with BAP?

#2 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

I am not 100% sure on the BAP however BAP is aimmed towards more for spotters and scouts while command console is typically just for mechs that have a lot of tonnage to burn and is mainly for direct fire. I think the BAP decreases your lock on time and the fact it counters ECM is vital to you. Command console and targeting computers do not cancel ECM.

#3 BigBaka

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:44 AM

from MWOwiki :

The Beagle Active Probe, or BAP, is a sensor suite that enhances the units onboard detection systems. Essentially it boosts radar coverage, locking and scan strength. It also can counter ECM at close range.
  • 25% increased sensor range[3]
  • 25% decreased target info acquisition time[3]
  • Allows targeting of unpowered 'Mechs within 120m[3]
  • It counters 1 ECM within the range of 360m. It works the same way as an ECM in counter mode. [4]
  • If a 'Mech has both BAP and ECM installed, the counter ECM feature gets overwritten by ECM. So the 'Mech will only get the increased sensor range and the ability to target unpowered 'Mechs. [4]
So I would go with BAP if you are LRMs/Streakboating.

Btw calling out for all IS warriors to use BAP warfare against clans in CW. It really helps to counter all those ECM mechs!

Edited by BigBaka, 02 February 2015 - 10:47 AM.

#4 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:46 AM

For the purposes you are describing, neither. Both items reduce target info gathering, which is the time it takes to get detailed mech information (type, damage) after you have a lock. The only ways to reduce lock time with equipment are TAG, Narc, and Artemis.

BAP is generally seen as a better value than the CC.

Edited by Gauvan, 02 February 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#5 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

BAP helps, but I was surprised at how fast I was getting target locks with the one battlemaster I used as a test bed for the command console.

BAP is good, due to ECM counter with TAG, but combined with the Command console it is almost an instantaneous lock. I would go with BAP and IF you can also with BAP on Battlemasters, stalkers and maybe the awesomes.

#6 Flaming oblivion

• The 1 Percent
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

Use bap and artemis nothing else is needed as a fatty

Tag and narc may be useful in a medium or light.

But fatties there both to situational . And in the ISes case tag is "look im over here squirrels close me so I cant fire back most of my weapons"

#7 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:01 AM

Add in target info gathering and you will be all set with both.

http://mwomercs.com/...ommand-console/
Here's what they do:

BAP:
+25% Sensor Range
-25% Target Info time
Detect unpowered mechs, counter ECM (when not on an ECM mech)

Command Console:
+5.25% Zoom
+6% Sensor Range
-20.5% Target Info time

My reading of this is that it's probably an either/or thing, but combined leads to some interesting possibilities:

+31% Sensor Range
-45.5% Target Info time
+5.25% Zoom
Detect unpowered mechs, etc.

#8 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:16 AM

For LRMs you want BAP, plain and simple.

There are almost never any situations where Command Console is useful...basically if you have the tonnage free, you can likely fit something more useful.

I'm not saying the CC does nothing, it's just so heavy, expensive, and negligible that it's almost never, ever worth using.

BAP however is useful on nearly any LRM boat with room, and I'd even say make room when you don't have it.

EDIT: Just noticed the OP mentioned Streaks- ALWAYS TAKE BAP WITH STREAKS, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Edited by Kodyn, 02 February 2015 - 11:18 AM.

#9 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

I typically will take BAP first, then if I have additional tonnage (in the case of assault LRM builds) I will take CC as well. However I rarely use LRMS. Only in defending CW matches really.

#10 Volks Ward

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 12:12 PM

View PostBigBaka, on 02 February 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

from MWOwiki :

The Beagle Active Probe, or BAP, is a sensor suite that enhances the units onboard detection systems. Essentially it boosts radar coverage, locking and scan strength. It also can counter ECM at close range.
  • It counters 1 ECM within the range of 360m. It works the same way as an ECM in counter mode. [4]

That was changed to -> BAP ECM Counter range decreased from 360m to 240m.
Located here -> http://mwomercs.com/...-nov-28th-2014/

Edited by Volks Ward, 02 February 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#11 delushin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 159 posts
  • LocationIn-ter-web

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:07 PM

Good conversation will be updating my streak kitty with the BAP.

#12 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:42 PM

View PostKodyn, on 02 February 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

There are almost never any situations where Command Console is useful...basically if you have the tonnage free, you can likely fit something more useful.

I'm not saying the CC does nothing, it's just so heavy, expensive, and negligible that it's almost never, ever worth using.

BAP however is useful on nearly any LRM boat with room, and I'd even say make room when you don't have it.

EDIT: Just noticed the OP mentioned Streaks- ALWAYS TAKE BAP WITH STREAKS, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Agreed.

There is very little as frustrating in the game as having missiles that need a lock, only to have ECM shutting them down. BAP gets around that, in that you can at least fire missiles that require locks when ECM is nearby, even if you can't fire them at the ECM equipped target.

#13 Icebergdx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 168 posts
  • LocationEastern Washington

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

View PostFracshure, on 02 February 2015 - 04:07 PM, said:

Good conversation will be updating my streak kitty with the BAP.

You should NEVER have streaks without a BAP, EVER!!!!!

#14 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:43 PM

View PostIcebergdx, on 03 February 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

You should NEVER have streaks without a BAP, EVER!!!!!

I thought streak kitties were extinct but apparently not

#15 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:28 PM

On topic, BAP always. Not only does it help you and your missile locks, it also scrambles enemy ECM, which then can also help other people on your team.

I wonder if PGI will take a look at the CC. For its weight it really does seem like a waste. I know you cannot directly compare these, but against a clan targetting computer, which is arguably worth using on many builds, it seems almost completely redundant.

View PostInveramsay, on 03 February 2015 - 10:43 PM, said:

I thought streak kitties were extinct but apparently not

Nope, particularly some of the clan builds with C-SSRM 6's.

#16 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:32 AM

what if you have tonnage free but only 1 slot left due to Endo?

#17 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:16 PM

Disagree that BAP is all that important for an LRM boat.

Sensor Range: It is increasingly difficult to hit targets with LRMs the farther out you go. Lobbing missiles at targets 900 meters away is more often than not just a waste of ammo.

Targeting Data: A lot of people confuse this with target lock. Increased targeting data just means faster time to see their paper doll. Not all that useful for an LRM boat since you can't really direct your missiles at weak components.

Detect Shutdown: At 120 meters. Not very useful for an LRM mech.

Counters ECM: This is really the only useful feature of BAP for an LRM mech although it's too situational. If some ECM mech gets close, you can negate its effect on your target locking ability. However IMO, this doesn't happen enough to warrant 1.5 tons.

I would rather bring 270 extra LRMs.

#18 Bloody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 569 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 07:17 PM

only need 1 time to be stuck with your backups while your streaks look at you stupidly while that 7 pulse laser Hellbringer grins and circle of deaths you..

oh and yes Command console should have increased bonuses considering its weight etc

Edited by Bloody, 06 February 2015 - 07:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users