- - - - -

First Mech For An Absolute Beginner?

64 replies to this topic

#1 Tvvisted Fate

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:35 PM

Hello everyone! I am a new MWO player and I honestly don't understand how the game works yet and which weapons and Mech's are good. I am hoping that you would be kind and point me in the right direction :) What I need is a good mech for beginners, not easily destroyed, can pack a decent punch and provide decent money income (if played well ofcourse).

I noticed people recommend Hunchback a lot but I ran into comments where people say that he is now inferior to the newer Mech's. It would mean a lot if you could recommend me a mech and post detailed build and gameplay tips. I currently have 10M of regular (free to play) currency. Thanks in advance! :)

#2 ilKhan_OrHan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:38 PM

Timberwolf is the best mech in the game. Would keep saving until you can get your first variant.

#3 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 07 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

Do you want to play for the clans or the innersphere in community warfare (for starters anyway)? (if you don't care then just pick any of these mechs that look good)

If Clans, I would recommend stormcrows and timber wolves, possibly maddog, hellbringer or kitfox too.

If innersphere, jagermech, thunderbolt, wolverine, shadowhawk, firestarter are all fairly good starting points.

Go here and play with the mech you are planning to buy. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

#4 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:25 AM

Check out this guide.

General Roles in MWO
https://docs.google....d.gb8ed7ef2_037

How to think about playing solo
https://docs.google.....g37ffc0464_430

Where to Start (the page after is clan)
https://docs.google....g56a3d083f_5725

Hunchbacks are nice because you typically don't have to worry about pricey XL engines. However, for Inner Sphere Mediums, I still suggest Shadow Hawks over them because of their extra versatility for those trying stuff. Some may suggest the Wolverine but two of the variants need more experienced players(fragile arm weapons).

If you are not dead set on something, Stormcrow, Stormcrow, Stormcrow.

Hunchback builds
https://docs.google.....g2a77b6ed4_324

Edited by Kin3ticX, 08 February 2015 - 04:38 AM.

#5 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 08 February 2015 - 04:33 AM

First off, welcome to the game.

Second off, this thread really should be in the New Player Help Section.

To answer your question, the Hunchback is generally considered to be the best "beginners mech" due to it's low price, wide variety of builds, and good mix of durability and speed.

Edited by HlynkaCG, 08 February 2015 - 04:41 AM.

#6 Furry Fox

• PipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 42 posts
  • LocationIthaca, New York

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

My first 'Mech was the Shadow Hawk 5M (SHD-5M), and it's what I would recommend every new player to begin with for quite a few reasons.
  • It comes fully upgraded (Endo-Steel & Double Heat Sinks).
  • It comes with a good engine that can be used in your future 'Mechs (XL 275).
  • It can be equipped with jump jets, which enhances your mobility and adds an extra dimension of fun to the game. :D
  • In my experience, it feels very durable; you can shield with the arms, and its body is pretty slim.
  • A few of its weapon mounts are hosted high up, so you can snipe with it.
  • It's the heaviest medium 'Mech, so you can pack a lot of weapons for its class.
Anyways, here's the build that I used as a new player: Link

This build encourages you to play as a support 'Mech, which ensures that you'll never be the main target. As a result, you'll live longer and put out more damage! This means more $$$ for future purchases. :lol:

I would purchase the Shadow Hawk 2K (SHD-2K) next. This 'Mech lets you play as a sniper OR as a very dangerous Brawler. Here are two builds that I found very fun...
3xERLL, 3xLRM5 (Sniper Build)
3xSRM6, 3xMPL (Brawler Build)
Notice that you get to re-use the engine from your SHD-5M! ;)

Edited by Furry Fox, 08 February 2015 - 08:25 AM.

#7 Marvyn Dodgers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:49 AM

Moving to New Player Help to get some more visibility.

#8 Myray

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

i would say timberwolf dies to fast when a beginner pilote it nice firepower and speed but not that much armor
if you got the cbill take he stormcrow prime ts fast last long and got ome large lasers of ifyou not that rich perhaps the hunchback

#9 capsela

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

I think you should get a Hunchback and here are my reasons why. What other chassis in the IS mediums can you say you have everything! The 4P is an Energy boat the 4G is the AC/20 brawler the 4J is LRMs raining down all the time thanks to quirks the 4H is the more support AC/10 brawler the 4SP is the SRM Brawler. They have every color of the MWO rainbow. I mean Wolverines have LRG PL quirks and the Griffons have SRM brawling down to an art form and Shadowhawks have brawling and flying and Centurions zombie and are hard to kill and Blackjacks have support flying mechs market cornered. But what other chassis has such a diverse lineup of different mechs. One of the only things its missing is jumpjets (And ECM PGI pls). So thats why I would say go for the Hunchbacks. (Also here's some builds for them, The 4P:HBK-4P The 4G:HBK-4G And the 4SP:HBK-4SP) Also good luck and good hunting :) Edit:Made some more builds The 4J:HBK-4J The 4H:HBK-4H I don't have the variants my self so take the builds with caution

Edited by capsela, 08 February 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#10 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:57 AM

FWIW, i did not like the hunchback for 10 cents. The only nice thing about it is how it leans to the side when you run and turn. Other than that, I just don't like it's weapons, it's mix of speed and durability and it's cockpit view (to narrow field of view).

If I'd started anew, i'd go for the Stormcrow Prime in it's trial version and buy it after i can afford it. You should have amassed enough XP to level it at that point as well.

#11 capsela

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:23 AM

Yeah the Kuritan above me is right, you might as well buy the Stormcrow because it can do everything :( the Hunchback can do but better sadly. But I would still suggest the Hunchback as a beginner for the IS. But if you are going to pug you might as well go big or go home

#12 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:33 AM

Hunchback or Centurion,4P from the hunchbacks or 9A from the centurions

#13 Chocowolf Sradac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 306 posts
  • LocationStar Colonel, Clan Wolf, 4th Wolf guard, Alpha Galaxy

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:44 AM

View PostilKhan_OrHan, on 07 February 2015 - 04:38 PM, said:

Timberwolf is the best mech in the game. Would keep saving until you can get your first variant.

I would argue it being the "Best" mech in the game it's good but there are a few mechs that are equally good and in the same tier

wouldn't recommend a clan mech as a first mech simply due to the difference between the IS and Clan. IS is quite more forgiving to new players with the quirk system then the ridiculous heat scaling and ghost heat clan mechs have to deal with

Edited by Chocowolf, 08 February 2015 - 11:53 AM.

#14 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:09 PM

I will say Hunchbacks.. They have huge a variety of weapon systems, and there quirks are really great,. While pre-quirk, the 55 ton mediums were kings of the medium weight class, this is far from the case now. While still good mechs, the 50 tonners, and even the cicada can easily pull their weight now.

HBK's are also heavily armored now, which makes them even better new player mechs. You can even use the hunch to Soak damage now, unlike before when it was it's biggest weakness. (still use it to soak later in the match, the arms and left side still go first on all but the 4SP.

Id suggest, the 4J LRM10's+ Medium lasers, 4H, AC-10 + medium lasers, and 4SP SRM4's or 6's + ML's as your first mechs, Unless you really want an all energy boat, then swap one for the 4P, 9 medium lasers, or you can combo any other engergy you want. Buy a cheap 250STD engine, and upgrade all of them to doubles and endo.. with your 10M, you can outfit 2 of them completely, (just buy one engine and swap it)

You can get all 3 of the mechs outfitted for a little over 12m, and by the time you get them to master you should have a decent amount of money saved up, to buy yourself a Radar deprivation module, and maybe some extra to get some weapon modules too.. (if you find certain systems to your liking) SRM4 module, AC-10, LRM 10, Medium laser recharge/range are all good modules to have in your stable.

By the time you get these 3 to master, you should have a very good handle on the game and know what power unlocking all skills can do to your mech.

On the flip side, what it will cost you to buy just one timber wolf, you can just about outfit 3 HBK's.. (heck your starter cadet bonus practically does it on it's own) But then you need to grind for a really long time to get your next 2, and won't have unlocks and be stuck at basic while you do so, which makes things a lot harder. Then many just give up, and say the game is way to grindy, or you have to buy your way up the later.

Don't make that mistake.. To me that is what the 50 ton mechs are for, a cheap way to get into the game, and have a lot of fun doing it. But the centurians, often use more expensive XL's, along with the trebutchet, and the last one is a bit more nitch in the way it plays. You can stick with STD's in them to make um cheaper, but i'd think lots of people use XL's to get the most out of them as the hit boxes on the cent make it a hard kill, and the treb+jump jets, makes it a fast/hard to catch mech that is more for long range skirmishing.

The HBK's can long range, medium range, and brawl,, and are just a very cheap/solid mech. It's kinda funny, the mech that was considered the best learner back when i started, is back to being the goto choice as a truly solid fun mech, that can dish it out, and take it

Edited by JC Daxion, 08 February 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#15 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:23 PM

oh and another friendly word of advice,DO NOT SELL ANYTHING EXPENSIVE,EVER

#16 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:35 PM

The best of anything isn't really the ideal place for a new player to start out. The way some of the 'Mechs behave right now, I think people use them as crutches... which means a new player starting out in the "best" 'Mech in any given class is going to be learning bad habits:

- facetanking in a medium and expecting not to die (Stormcrow)
- running right into the middle of the enemy team and expecting not to die (Firestarter)
- firing the hottest energy weapons in the game rapidly and expecting not to die (Thunderbolt)
- running with a metric buttload of weapons to compensate for lack of gunnery skill (Timberwolf, Direwolf)
- depending on the "tape down the trigger and spray" method for success instead of taking careful, timed shots (Direwolf and King Crab dakka builds)

...and the list goes on. The idea is to soften the over-steep learning curve, but not flatten it. Putting the game on easy mode by driving the best 'Mechs right out of the gate doesn't help anybody actually learn the mechanics and get better at the game. By all means, don't recommend the worst or hardest 'Mechs to beginners... but you'll do them no favors by dropping them in Stormcrows either. I agree with folks who've suggested various IS mediums, especially the Shadowhawks and Hunchbacks. Both are solid at a base level, but require that their pilots develop good twisting skills to roll damage, both have high-mounted main weapons, and both can ably run a wide variety of configurations. Shads are probably the better long-term choice because they can also run XLs later on for even more build variety, whereas doing so in HBKs is... usually not a recipe for success.

#17 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:57 PM

With 10 million in the bank I would recommend the Hunchback. It's a great starter mech in that it fits a wide variety of playstyles, is a viable mech now, and teaches really good habits. On top of all that it's cheap, and most builds use a standard engine so you don't have to spend an additional 5 million to make it effective. Being able to buy 3 hunchbacks and master them will make a big difference in your experience, speed tweak and double efficiencies make a mech significantly better. Additionally you'll be able to use your winnings to purchase modules much sooner. I would recommend buying Radar Deprivation first, followed by weapon modules for your favored mech, followed by Seismic Sensor.

Not a big FPS player? Start off with the 4J, you'll have missile rain to depend on until you get the hang of other more effective weapon systems. I don't really do missile boats, so not entirely sure on builds, but I think as long as you have 2 LRM-10's and sufficient ammo you should be fine.

FPS player that's new to MWO? Start off with the 4G or 4H, the big ballistics are easy to grasp conceptually.
HBK-4H
HBK-4G

Then round out your Hunchie collection with the 4P and 4SP, these are the cream of the crop Hunchie's at the moment, but a little more difficult to grasp as a new player.
HBK-4P
HBK-4SP

Playstyle wise guard your hunch, use your high mounts to peak, and try to work your angles. What I mean by angles is try to hit the enemy in the side/back from a position that provides cover when possible. Otherwise stick to the middle of the murderball.

Edited by John80sk, 08 February 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#18 DelphiAuriga

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 166 posts
  • LocationCanary Islands, in the planet Skandia ;)

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:16 PM

Hunchback and ShadowHawk are great chassises.

They are easy-mode in many ways: they can torso twist to leave barely a little angle in ur back uncovered by weapons, their weapon slots and position make them really easy to use cause both have some in hands and in torso close to the head, and most important of all, they are DAMN CHEAP to equipt and buy.

Stormcrow its a great chassis, but saving the CBIlls they cost can take a LONG time as starter. Not being able to customize ur mech till u can afford the ¡¡11 millions CBills!! each costs will turn ur gameplay in a nightmare.

As opposite Hunchbacks have a base prize around 3.5 million CBills, and full equipt will cost around 4 more the first time, buying a STD engine that lately u will share with the others, and less than 2 millions the other times.

All in all u will be spending 5.75 millions in each Hunchback, and 12 millions in each Stormcrow.

Some Shadowhawk ideas have been dropped previously, so some Hunchback suggestions:
Ballistic-mech, a really funny one to play: HBK-4H
Missile-boat, a quite mobile fire support platform:HBK-4J
Laser-Boat. It may look hot on paper, but splitting the weapons in 3 groups, one with the ERLLas, other with the MLas in the torso, and one last with the MLas in the hand and the head, will help u GREATLY to control its heat. Use the correct weapon for the correct target and it will be the best mech ever: HBK-4P

U can share the most expensive equipt like the STD engine and the AMS among them, saving u a nasty 1.8 millions CBills in each, thing that u cant do with clan mechs that come with a hard-wired engine that is damn expensive and u cant move or change at all, u have to pay it.

#19 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 08 February 2015 - 01:31 PM

View PostFurry Fox, on 08 February 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

My first 'Mech was the Shadow Hawk 5M (SHD-5M), and it's what I would recommend every new player to begin with for quite a few reasons.
  • It comes fully upgraded (Endo-Steel & Double Heat Sinks).
  • It comes with a good engine that can be used in your future 'Mechs (XL 275).
  • It can be equipped with jump jets, which enhances your mobility and adds an extra dimension of fun to the game. :D
  • In my experience, it feels very durable; you can shield with the arms, and its body is pretty slim.
  • A few of its weapon mounts are hosted high up, so you can snipe with it.
  • It's the heaviest medium 'Mech, so you can pack a lot of weapons for its class.
Anyways, here's the build that I used as a new player: Link

This build encourages you to play as a support 'Mech, which ensures that you'll never be the main target. As a result, you'll live longer and put out more damage! This means more $$$ for future purchases. :lol:

I would purchase the Shadow Hawk 2K (SHD-2K) next. This 'Mech lets you play as a sniper OR as a very dangerous Brawler. Here are two builds that I found very fun...
3xERLL, 3xLRM5 (Sniper Build)
3xSRM6, 3xMPL (Brawler Build)
Notice that you get to re-use the engine from your SHD-5M! ;)

I'll second that suggestion of the Shadow Hawk SHD-5M. On top of Furry Fox's points above, it also gives you a feel for how each of the weapons works straight out the box. You can mount LRMs on it, SRMs, lasers, PPCs, MGs, ACs of all sizes, or Gauss and get a feel for what works for you. The Hunchback has a similar versatility, but not on one individual chassis; you'll need to explore the full Hunchback line-up to get that, though admittedly each variant is far, far better at boating it's specialized weapon than the Shadow Hawks are.

I used to recommend the Centurion CN9-A for similar reasons, but the lack of jump jets, while not crippling, will mean you won't learn how to use them effectively. If you're not interested in the extra manoeuvrability that comes from jump jets, though, a Centurion is an excellent chassis to learn the principles of torso twisting to spread damage on. Play your cards right, and you can let your enemy whittle your Cent down to a pair of legs and two medium lasers and still be taking kills.

#20 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 08 February 2015 - 02:10 PM

unfortunately you have given me nothing to go on, if you have tried some of the trial Mechs and can give feedback I can probably provide better advise, but realistically one of the IS 50 or 55 tonners are usualy best as a starting Mech.

The Hunchback is cheep due to the fact that they work best without XL engines, and they will teach you about protecting a vulnerable component (the Hunch containing 60%+ of your firepower), each Hunchback is a specialist, primarily focused on a single weapon, since they were quirked to make them more competitave they are probably the best starting Mech.

below is a Hunchback build for each variant, look them over and decide if you like the look of any of them, near the top right will be the total cost of the Mech + all the upgrades and equipment, I personally think the top 3 would links be great starter Mechs
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0734174c4e8d197
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...019708da77a595c
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0909e34ba64e14f
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4f774ad3cc2dbfc
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bff24606d6fbd23

the Centurian is also cheep, again it will not need an XL, and if you do take a standard engine it is an exceptionally durable Mech, most variants carry all 3 weapon types

the Shadow Hawk is one of the most popular IS Mechs, if can perform almost any role and can use Jumpjets, however it is not very maneuverable compared to other Mechs in its weight class.

the Griffin cannot carry balistic weapons but can make brutal SRM brawlers, they have a large twist range like the Hunchback but can also mount Jumpjets

I would advise against a Timber Wolf or Stormcrow precisely because they are the best Mechs in the game, meaning they are high priority targets and will be focus fired to death before most other Mech would be targeted. also they could teach bad habits, things which you could get away with in those 2 Mechs but not in most others, also things you will learn on other Mechs will make you better able to use those to their full potential if you do eventually use them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users