26 replies to this topic

#1 EightBitKnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:51 AM

Hello I'm looking to buy some new lights and I'm thinking either the Mist Lynx or the Adder. I have 3x Ravens and 3x Kitfox. I'm looking for a fast ride and good damage.I've tried the trial Adder and liked it but I have no idea how the Mist Lynx is. I plan on buying all three variants so I kinda want to make sure I'm getting what looks to be better. If it helps I love the speed of the raven and the low build of the Kitfox, jump jets are a plus (I wish the 3l had them). EMC is plus but if the mech can take a beating then I'm not worried. I'm also looking to know which is better in the CW setting as well.
Thanks and looking forward to any help.

Edited by EightBitKnight, 11 February 2015 - 12:53 AM.

#2 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:32 AM

You have the Kit Fox so you have the best Clan light. Anything else feel a bit weak. Still, if you insist you can choose like this: Adder for damage, Mist Lynx for flying and being annoying.

#3 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:34 AM

To be honest, i use a Mist Lynx in CW more often than my Kit Fox..

#4 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:29 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 11 February 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

To be honest, i use a Mist Lynx in CW more often than my Kit Fox..

On every map there are several sweet spots for Mist Lynx with CERLL to cause real panic in the oposite team, Hellbore being the best for it. Relatively low damage output is the downside. Beside this I struggle with finding meaningful role for Mist Lynx. Could you please tell me something about how you play them? I can't seem to make them work for me.

#5 Darionik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:46 AM

Mist Lynx is out top tier light, i have the fox and is just like Nova agains Stormcrow

#6 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:04 AM

Mist Lynx is a very capable jump sniper with CERPPC and ECM. That is mostly how I play it, you could run CERLL or CLPL if you wanted, I suppose...however, I like it with the CERPPC because there is no burn time to give any indication of where the ERPPC blasts are coming from, allowing your position to remain hidden for far longer.

#7 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:19 AM

So opinions are as diverse as players. I'll throw in my hat on the Kit Fox being great. I have no idea how the Mist Lynx is Stormcrow class, but then again, that's one I haven't played yet.

#8 Bregor Edain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 08:34 AM

Piloting the Mist Lynx is fun. It is fragile but adding the B variant side torsos will give you a higher survival rate due to the quirks. The other lights feel more like light mediums than regular lights.

#9 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

What IS light does the Mist Lynx compare closest to?

#10 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

View PostMordin Ashe, on 11 February 2015 - 06:29 AM, said:

On every map there are several sweet spots for Mist Lynx with CERLL to cause real panic in the oposite team, Hellbore being the best for it. Relatively low damage output is the downside. Beside this I struggle with finding meaningful role for Mist Lynx. Could you please tell me something about how you play them? I can't seem to make them work for me.

I use to be effective as a SRM boat (hit and run) or ER Large Laser, ER Medium Laser + ECM (fire support or sniper).

Anyway, the Mist Lynx is a backstabbing mech: it can't fight fair and will not perform well the circle of death maneuver (because it's not fast enough).

The greatest strength is the amazing jump capability. It will excel in maps like Viridian Bog and Canyon Network. Jump, shoot, hide.

But the most important: avoid enemy IS lights. The Misty can't beat any of them.

#11 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

View Postreddevil, on 11 February 2015 - 10:32 AM, said:

What IS light does the Mist Lynx compare closest to?

It's a slow Spider with all weapons in huge arms.

Or a slow jumping Commando.

#12 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:13 AM

I can put up huge numbers in an Adder (CW or regular queue) but sometimes bringing the old trusty 2 x CERLL 3 x AMS ECM Kit Fox will help the team more. The Mist Lynx can be used to gate jump, all out rush, sneak attack generators and the like but my main reason for using it was sot hat I could drop with 2 x TBR and a HBR.

I guess it really depends on what you are trying to do--both the Kit Fox and Mist Lynx can bring more value to the team by offering something other than weapon support but if you want to contribute to making kills/doing damage neither can compare to the Adder.

#13 RedDevil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:37 AM

In CW lastnight, a lance of Mist Lynx's jumped the gate to attack the gens IS style. They managed to take 1 and half gens, but I swear I saw two reports of them getting killed by turrets.

Are they just too weak to pull off the gen rush, or was it a problem that it was just one lance (hate that, should be stars)?

Edited by reddevil, 11 February 2015 - 01:01 PM.

#14 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

Well, armor is relatively low on MLX, and to get any fire power your must forego ECM.

So, as I said, it plays best as an ECM spider knockoff from range.

#15 EightBitKnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:41 PM

I'm looking for speed and damage. I have the Kit Fox for EMC support so not really worried there. My Ravens hit from 30.9 - 33.2 so I'm happy around that range for low end damage output but would be nice to have a fast hard hitting clan light. Is the Adder faster then the Mist Lynx after the speed boost? it has a bigger max engine but when you look at the speeds the Mist Lynx is faster by default but has a smaller max engine size. From the sounds of it I might just get both at some point. I'm liking the sounds of the Adder the high damage on a light is kinda nice. I do see the value of the EMC support but sounds like you'd be far ahead of most for it to be a real help. Not a gate jumper, not yet anyway :D.

Note I use the Ravens because they are my first mech and what I played the longest in before the clans came.

#16 Dakkaface

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 226 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:48 PM

Kit Fox is the best balanced Clan light - ECM, decent payload, JJ's. Pretty large target for a light though.

Adder is the Damage boat - Load up on CSRM's and it puts out a disgusting amount of fire for a light. It's not super fast, it has no JJ's, and it's pretty chunky for a light.

Mist Lynx has ECM and is a small target.... but it has issues with carrying enough firepower to matter, and all of it's weapons are arm mounted.

There's no real clear winner in the Clan Lights, but if you want to do damage, go Adder. If you want to be more mobile, irritating and faster - go Mist Lynx.

#17 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

View PostEightBitKnight, on 11 February 2015 - 12:41 PM, said:

I'm looking for speed and damage. I have the Kit Fox for EMC support so not really worried there. My Ravens hit from 30.9 - 33.2 so I'm happy around that range for low end damage output but would be nice to have a fast hard hitting clan light. Is the Adder faster then the Mist Lynx after the speed boost? it has a bigger max engine but when you look at the speeds the Mist Lynx is faster by default but has a smaller max engine size. From the sounds of it I might just get both at some point. I'm liking the sounds of the Adder the high damage on a light is kinda nice. I do see the value of the EMC support but sounds like you'd be far ahead of most for it to be a real help. Not a gate jumper, not yet anyway :D.

Note I use the Ravens because they are my first mech and what I played the longest in before the clans came.

After tweak the Adder will be the same as the Kit Fox and Stormcrow---106.9. Mist Lynx goes 124 after tweak.

#18 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

Kit Fox is the best all around clan light mech, while the Mist Lynx is the only Clan light mech capable of generator rushes due to being the fastest. The Badder is just terrible, without ECM and only 97kph (106kph speedtweaked), it cannot hide as well as the Kit Fox, nor move as well as the Mist Lynx.

#19 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

View PostDakkaface, on 11 February 2015 - 12:48 PM, said:

Adder is the Damage boat - Load up on CSRM's and it puts out a disgusting amount of fire for a light. It's not super fast, it has no JJ's, and it's pretty chunky for a light.

It may be kind of chunky but to me this is offset by the excellent high mounted torso energy hardpoints. You can get off shots with hard hitting weapons all day long with minimum exposure.

#20 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:59 PM

Raven hero is the best DPS light at the moment.

Try this build with SRM chain-fire, especially if you can grab the SRM4 Cooldown module and be amazed at machine gun missiles.

HUGINN

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users