#41 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:19 AM

View PostWM Dirges, on 09 February 2015 - 04:26 PM, said:

There is a separate teams focusing on these divisions. Neither greatly affect the other.

Mechs still require artists and modelers the same as maps do.
Those are not separate divisions.

#42 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:28 AM

To be honest here, the last two packs (resistance and Urbie) were both demanded by the players.

The resistance pack was created so people could spend 80$ to get a "free" king crab.

And the UrbanMech package... it just had to be created, UrbanMech is reason enough.

#43 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:59 AM

Well, imo the best way to add variety to Clan lineups is to add some of the more optimised chassis in, so we dont only have 3.5 mechs built in a vaguely sensible way - i think PGI is too scared of upsetting some of the IS fanatic idiots and will never buff the bad clan mechs enough to make them even a little bit competitive, so the only hope is adding some better options.

Thus im very much hoping for a Clan pack with:
Light: Arctic Cheetah
Medium: Viper or Huntsman
Heavy: Ebon Jaguar
Assault: Kingfisher

That would be a literal "take my money!" situation.

I could live with the Medium and Assault being the Shadowcat and Executioner if they ditched MASC and put the free tonnage as unlocked heatsinks or something.The Dasher is too fast for MWO even without MASC i believe (stock speed with tweak is like 180kph)

#44 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:49 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 10 February 2015 - 01:59 AM, said:

The Dasher is too fast for MWO even without MASC i believe (stock speed with tweak is like 180kph)

Commandos can currently get up to 171.1 kph with tweak, Fire Moth's tweaked speed of 178.2 doesn't seem quite utterly impossible to me. Especially since it doesn't have JJs, which seem to be a bigger problem to hit registration than massive speeds. Of course, the addition of MASC would push it clearly to the "never going to happen"-zone.

Personally, the only mech I'm missing from the game is a properly fast, decently optimized clan light.

So far the Resistance pack doesn't have anything interesting. Zeus looks pretty cool, but even that's just the looks. Not sure how it'll differ from Awesomes and Battlemasters. Going to skip the whole pack unless they quirk some of the mechs directly to god tier, which seems unlikely.

Granted, slow light mechs is exactly what the IS is missing. :rolleyes: No longer a clan exclusive!

Edited by Kyynele, 10 February 2015 - 02:49 AM.

#45 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:18 AM

View PostKyynele, on 10 February 2015 - 02:49 AM, said:

Commandos can currently get up to 171.1 kph with tweak, Fire Moth's tweaked speed of 178.2 doesn't seem quite utterly impossible to me. Especially since it doesn't have JJs, which seem to be a bigger problem to hit registration than massive speeds. Of course, the addition of MASC would push it clearly to the "never going to happen"-zone.

Personally, the only mech I'm missing from the game is a properly fast, decently optimized clan light.

So far the Resistance pack doesn't have anything interesting. Zeus looks pretty cool, but even that's just the looks. Not sure how it'll differ from Awesomes and Battlemasters. Going to skip the whole pack unless they quirk some of the mechs directly to god tier, which seems unlikely.

Granted, slow light mechs is exactly what the IS is missing. :rolleyes: No longer a clan exclusive!

Thing is we DONT WANT the Dasher.. it will be bad (due to being 20 tons and not getting IS quirks). We dont want it to get in the way of us getting the Arctic Cheetah, which is the optimised clan light you are looking for (142kph, 6xJJs, Torso mounted ECM, at least 2E in torso mounts with 2-4 more in arms)

#46 Setun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 172 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:30 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 10 February 2015 - 01:59 AM, said:

Well, imo the best way to add variety to Clan lineups is to add some of the more optimised chassis in, so we dont only have 3.5 mechs built in a vaguely sensible way - i think PGI is too scared of upsetting some of the IS fanatic idiots and will never buff the bad clan mechs enough to make them even a little bit competitive, so the only hope is adding some better options.

Thus im very much hoping for a Clan pack with:
Light: Arctic Cheetah
Medium: Viper or Huntsman
Heavy: Ebon Jaguar
Assault: Kingfisher

That would be a literal "take my money!" situation.

I could live with the Medium and Assault being the Shadowcat and Executioner if they ditched MASC and put the free tonnage as unlocked heatsinks or something.The Dasher is too fast for MWO even without MASC i believe (stock speed with tweak is like 180kph)

Dude, trade the Kingfisher for the Kodiak for the clan assault and I'll give up a portion of my tax return for that bad boy

#47 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:36 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 10 February 2015 - 03:18 AM, said:

Thing is we DONT WANT the Dasher.. it will be bad (due to being 20 tons and not getting IS quirks). We dont want it to get in the way of us getting the Arctic Cheetah, which is the optimised clan light you are looking for (142kph, 6xJJs, Torso mounted ECM, at least 2E in torso mounts with 2-4 more in arms)

I'd take both, thanks. And would pay money for them.

#48 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:40 AM

View PostSetun, on 10 February 2015 - 03:30 AM, said:

Dude, trade the Kingfisher for the Kodiak for the clan assault and I'll give up a portion of my tax return for that bad boy

Kodiak is not an Omnimech, so at the moment it is a pipedream (and if we are talking about getting Clan Battlemechs i want a Stone Rhino kkthx). Kingfisher will be an interesting mech - only 2.5 tons less space than a twolf when adjusted for DHS, STD engine with CT energy points for zombie mode, 71kph, artwork has very high mounted ST energy ports. It would be 100% an energy boat, but a good one i think, assuming good hitboxes (huge CT would ruin it instantly)

#49 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:54 AM

View PostSoul Tribunal, on 09 February 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

Just to help break this misconception (that at times is a bit rampant).
The Guys who make the Mechs, and the Guys who make the Maps, are two different entities.
To release mech packs, does not detract from other items being worked on. Any good gaming company has these items being co-developed.
So, let them keep releasing mechs, nothing else will suffer.

-ST

I guess I look at this entire rip off from a different angle than most. See every one knows that yes they are two different departments yet closely related. From what I see is that the community grows at a stagnant pond evaporating pace so they push mech packs at astronomical prices to satisfy the few. What suffers is growth because with more maps and game modes will attract more players with longetivity. More players means lower prices on products but more products sold which equals happy community means more cash for the PGI machine.

Boring few maps is boring after a while.

Ok so many stated they need to make so much new stuff for new maps? really? Why? take a look at the most popular game maps on earth counter_strike DE_Dust 2, then look at the scores of excellent maps made from the exact same textures etc.

#50 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

View PostStraferX, on 10 February 2015 - 03:54 AM, said:

I guess I look at this entire rip off from a different angle than most. See every one knows that yes they are two different departments yet closely related. From what I see is that the community grows at a stagnant pond evaporating pace so they push mech packs at astronomical prices to satisfy the few. What suffers is growth because with more maps and game modes will attract more players with longetivity. More players means lower prices on products but more products sold which equals happy community means more cash for the PGI machine.

Boring few maps is boring after a while.

Ok so many stated they need to make so much new stuff for new maps? really? Why? take a look at the most popular game maps on earth counter_strike DE_Dust 2, then look at the scores of excellent maps made from the exact same textures etc.

I don't disagree that fewer maps can be boring, but there is nothing wrong with that development model, as they are basing a lot of what they do here (business wise) on a shinning success story (WoT, both in cost structure as they have admitted on Town Hall meetings, and in their dev philosophy).
Maps are good, but they need money to develop them and everything else. Maps don't make money Directly. Mech Packs do. And Heros.
So they use one to fund the other in essence. Much Like WoT did at launch. The first year back in 2010-2011 for WoT was few maps, but as tanks and trees were released those in turn funded more development elsewhere. And now WoT has a good plethora of maps to go to.
MWO will get there in due time as well.
You Can't have one without the other. And even through yes (in answer to other responses to what I wrote) you can get people doing graphics and art for one to work on another, you need those assets in place to fund the game, so pulling them to make maps is counter-productive to their business.

At least, from what I can see and what I know often occurs behind the scenes in these games. After all, I did at one point do a lot of work for WG. So I have a more intimate understanding of the fundementals.

-ST

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users