10 replies to this topic

#1 Kaelin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationScotland.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

in the TT and (pointlessly in MW2:mercs) the C3 computer system allows transmission of targeting data among lancemates.

the blurb on the game so far implies that all mechs are fitted with it 'for free'

am I missing something or does anyone else get this impression too?

also, per canon (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/C3) draconis combine introduced it in 3050...

Edited by Kaelin, 07 July 2012 - 01:02 AM.

#2 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:11 AM

Not a new question, per se, but I don't think its had it's own topic. When we first started getting in game videos, it was bandied about some. Speculation had it that c3 will share more DETAILED information. Right now, they are testing all at once. I'm sure information warfare will call for many of the functions seen in the videos to be only available with modules and equipment. But, since it is beta, test it all now, reduce functionality later to make those nice perks specific to hardware or skill accumulation more meaningful as part of the meta game which isn't in or being tested right now. This isn't based on much more than an educated hunch.

#3 ElcomeSoft

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNewcastle upon Tyne, England

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:19 AM

Hoping for more information on this too.

My thoughts rather mirror the OP's on what we've seen officially and what I understand about C3 via sarna.

#4 Kaelin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationScotland.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:19 AM

hmm, I get your point, perhaps at first you'll only be able to relay the position of the mech you have targeted, skills increase this somewhat, then a C3 equipped lance will be able to relay full sensor detail.

I guess it's a matter of scaling.

#5 Stormwolf

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

I think that the current system is more akin to spotting then C3.

Edited by Stormwolf, 07 July 2012 - 01:21 AM.

#6 Kaelin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationScotland.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:24 AM

View PostKaelin, on 07 July 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

hmm, I get your point, perhaps at first you'll only be able to relay the position of the mech you have targeted, skills increase this somewhat, then a C3 equipped lance will be able to relay full sensor detail.

I guess it's a matter of scaling.

actually, it just dawned on me, I would expect C3 system will be able to relay damage info where normal spotting will just give you THAT a mech is there not it's condition etc.

#7 redplauge

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

original p&p the c3 system allowed all units connected (could be max of 7 depending on how you did the c3 masters) to use the closest unit for their to-hit role. mech commander didnt have the c3 system, and i didnt really go into mw series.

targeting data what exactly does that mean? like wot? thats more like the enemy is near >"here"<. a c3 ought to be able to use the data from all inputs and say the target is here, >o<

#8 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:51 AM

Eh. C3 was a lot more complicated than that. It didn't just give location, it reduced your range penalty to that of the closest C3 Mech on your network.

It'll be very interesting to see how and if they work this into the game.

I also think it would be awesome if only BAP-equipped Mechs could record replays. Since that was half the function of the BAP.

#9 Insidious Johnson

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:53 AM

View Postredplauge, on 07 July 2012 - 01:32 AM, said:

original p&p the c3 system allowed all units connected (could be max of 7 depending on how you did the c3 masters) to use the closest unit for their to-hit role. mech commander didnt have the c3 system, and i didnt really go into mw series.

targeting data what exactly does that mean? like wot? thats more like the enemy is near >"here"<. a c3 ought to be able to use the data from all inputs and say the target is here, >o<

watch the videos, you'll see detailed damage info. Also, you'll see the variant name. I think in the mechlab video when Paul builds his "Forum User Killer" variant it shows the variant name only in the mechlab. But, in the medium mech breakdown, you see one stock HBK-4G fighting what at first glance appears to be stock as well. But, if you look at the targeting data, it clearly isn't stock. It is listed as HBK-4G but has the loadout of Paul's HBK-*** custom variant with AC/5 and MG's. So far, custom variant names do not show up in targeting data but the exact enemy weapons loadout does show up. Anyways... THAT is target data currently: armor, weapons, no heat indication, no vector, no speed, and no weapon recycle status.

#10 Kaelin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 192 posts
  • LocationScotland.

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:58 AM

View PostInsidious Johnson, on 07 July 2012 - 01:53 AM, said:

I think the point he made about the footage being from the beta is quite poignant;

the features need to be tested, so if lancemates are able to relay all the data correctly during the testing phase then it's a much simpler task to scale back as required in the full release.

this may not be the case, but it's certainly a logical assumption.

Edited by Kaelin, 07 July 2012 - 02:58 AM.

#11 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

Here is what I would like to see them do.

All of this should kick in if you have a c3 and you have a spotter nearer to the enemy who is also c3 equipped.
1. Faster missile lock time. Lets say 20-25% faster. Not an improved chance for all missiles to hit, just a faster lock.
2. A small to modest auto aim correction. Not sure how to implement and tbh I think it can easily be skipped.
3. c3 pilots benefit from any offensive or intel perks of the spotter AND any offensive perks from any networked mech that has LoS on the target. However to make this worthwhile they need to have offensive perks that will matter to a networked set of mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users