What's Your Verdict Of Hellebore Springs?

30 replies to this topic

#1 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

Didn't see a thread for this already.
  • How much fun is the new map?
  • Is it well balanced?
Discuss.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:12 PM

My opinion is very simple: I like it, it's pretty, it's aesthetically different, it overs a lot more cover and 'back and forth' than I expected.

But... the next map should not have "lanes" in it like Hellebore, Sulphur, and to some extent, Boreal, do. Next map should surround the base walls by 360 degrees with a nice open environment and multiple avenues of approach that aren't predetermined by the map design featuring direct lanes that corral players down the same avenues every match.

I heard the next map might use the moonbase assets, so I would hope its laid out similar to HPG, with a central base, multiple entrances, but with more open space outside the base and interesting terrain.

#3 Biggest Salami

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

It's a beautiful map, and the only one I can think of that has purple on it (yay for artistic variety!). To me it's extremely fun, because playing in an interesting and aesthetically appealing environment massively contributes to my enjoyment of a game. As far as playability, have only played it the once, so it's hard to say.

I'm with Tarogato on this being the last "lane" map for a while though. Some kind of switchup would be nice.

#4 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

It's got purple...what's not to like? :)

#5 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:38 PM

I have only played it once on counter attack.

It looks nice, but can feel very claustrophobic when you are in a big mech. It was difficult to navigate some of the narrow valleys in my Crab as it forced a lot of clipping when travelling with other mechs. Seems to have a lot of choke and ambush points. Lots of vantage points for observers with JJ (JJ a must on this map I think). Should force some changes to peoples load outs (more short range).

As people get to know it better it should be interesting to see what strategies develop.

Agree with others, next map needs to be more open with more avenues for attack, give defenders more defenses, more walls, gates and turrets to combat zerg rushes from multiple directions. Thunder LRM's so you can lay minefields would be cool.

Edited by slide, 04 February 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#6 Ripper X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 343 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:04 PM

Nice looking map,but strongly favors IS light rush even more than the other maps. If these CW maps are going to favor rush tactics over skill and strategic tactics then my unit as a whole will not be participating in CW much.

#7 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 04 February 2015 - 09:08 PM

Got in, got to beta, was having a wonderful time....and it crashed. So I walked around. Alpha looks more jumpjet friendly, beta the straight attack deal. Lots of nooks and cover to pop out of and nail someone.

#8 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:29 AM

It's a lot of fun, past the gates are many boulder/rocklight hills that allow a lot maneuvers for flanking and suprising.

Time is too short on the map. Russ always told us about battle of attrition, but how should this work when there is 10minutes of 30minutes palytime being "walking to the gates" by the average mechs speed? it will never, it will force rushes.

suflurous and springs really should be 40minutes or even 45minutes.

#9 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:38 AM

Played it and liked it. No rushing here, just lots of dead mechs everywhere.

#10 Gyrok

• Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:44 AM

Would not know yet, I kept getting sulfurous last night for what must have been a total of 3 hours, all Sulfurous and 1 boreal, no new map yet.

I happen to hate sulfurous...

#11 Necromantion

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:45 AM

It has some really awful choke points that can result in different strategies not really explored on the other maps, realistically I get that due to geomorphological processes that indeed canyons and narrow points like this exist all over the world but it would be really REALLY nice for the next maps to not have so many bloody choke points where arty rains down as soon as something is shown in that general area by any competent teams.

Edited by Necromantion, 05 February 2015 - 07:46 AM.

#12 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:55 AM

looks nice in the video, but im extremely dissapointed in PGI's Cw map making thus far.... really hoping to see stuff along the lines of Alpine. a nice HUGE map without ridiculous out of bounds strewn through out the entire map, not completely wide open but not the friggin same ole attack lanes or funnels. if they need bases with gates throw a giganticly grande base with walls surrounding it... mw4 had some EPIC maps and bases

#13 NAZGUULL

• PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • LocationSc

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:19 AM

I've yet to see it, looking forward to giving it a go tho.

#14 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

And in case people are wondering, the new map is every third slot in the territory "pie"- so if it shows you dropping on #3,#6,#9, etc you're going to have the canyon map.

#15 Basilisk222

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 288 posts
  • LocationElmira Heights

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

I like it enough I think that if they completely nixed Boreal and only ran 2 maps again, we'd be in a much better spot.

Boreal has REALLY shown its colors now as a terribly unbalanced map with very few real redeemable features, and I think its CORE concepts that are the issue, it's just too easy on Boreal to defend, those third gates on other maps really make the difference I think. Not to mention how close they are to each other on Boreal, one group can defend alpha and beta pretty well, with clear line to spawn of attackers.

Boreal I think just should be scrapped, this new map has valleys, jump jet points, important scouting lines, nice visuals, large spaces, tight corridors and lots of territory variation with forced dedicated lance based protection or forgoing defenses to hold certain places more effectively. Boreal just does not work for this mode. However, I LOVE the new map.

Edited by Kilgorin Strom, 05 February 2015 - 10:40 AM.

#16 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 10:45 AM

Boreal is actually really fun on counterattacks now. It's got enough cover that given the need to only hit a single point, you tend to fight constantly- and since an Omega kill isn't an auto-win, people are going all over the map and killing things.

#17 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostTarogato, on 04 February 2015 - 02:12 PM, said:

But... the next map should not have "lanes" in it like Hellebore, Sulphur, and to some extent, Boreal, do. Next map should surround the base walls by 360 degrees with a nice open environment and multiple avenues of approach that aren't predetermined by the map design featuring direct lanes that corral players down the same avenues every match.

You're making me think of a Total War siege map or something with the defenders running around the walls trying to anticipate where the enemy is.

#18 Hellen Wheels

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:05 PM

I thought it was a lot more fun than the other maps, only one instance so far, it is at the least a refreshing change, but still too reminiscent of the Canyon map. That splotch of purple is rather confusing, too, what is the purpose of a purple garden there? I just don't get that, it just doesn't belong. Is that some kind of indigent purple cabbage being raised by the unfortunates stuck there maintaining the mining facility?

Also, it was frustrating being dropped onto a ledge in the Big Boy, with no way down except to hop down and take damage to the leg bones. Some Handicapped Ramps down from those ledges would be nice for us old folks on walkers.

OTOH, there were some nice perches around Omega, nice scenery. Well done, four star map will play again.

#19 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:06 PM

View Postwanderer, on 05 February 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

And in case people are wondering, the new map is every third slot in the territory "pie"- so if it shows you dropping on #3,#6,#9, etc you're going to have the canyon map.

I guess they are planning on having 15 CW maps eventually?

#20 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:08 PM

View PostDavers, on 05 February 2015 - 02:06 PM, said:

I guess they are planning on having 15 CW maps eventually?

They're planning for each planet to have a different set of maps. If the API is any indication, they can increase the number of territories on each planet easily (at least up to 56 it seems).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users