Solidworks 3D Design

11 replies to this topic

#1 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:52 PM

I'm an engineering student with a license for Solidworks 2013-14. For spits and grins I would like to start making 3d design specs to make desk top models of mechs from this game. Probably for use with a 3D printer. This is for practicing with solid works. Can I get in trouble for that? I don't intend on selling the models. Maybe start a kick start fund to pay to the 3D printer. Pledges receive models for contributing to the 3D printer.

Technically I wouldn't be selling the models. I would be giving them away.

I have no idea how copy right laws work

#2 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:03 PM

Greetings,

You will probably receive private pm's about this from those that do have the knowledge about MWO assets and 3D printing them.

Yes, just about everything referring to physical models of MWO art and BattleTech miniatures is copyrighted in some form or another. Quite a lot about this already posted, and it's not encouraging at all.

- I think you'll get in trouble from someone, or various entities, if you offer 'anything' that is not your property to start.
- Be very careful in what you post in the forums about this topic.
- Best to conduct private conversations with those that can help with the 'Solidworks' knowledge.

Good luck,
Aim True and Run Cool,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 09 February 2015 - 02:04 PM.

#3 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:12 PM

You'll be using the game models to advertise your project to get money to buy your printer, this is still a no-no.
You don't have to say that you're selling something to break a copyright law. You're benefiting from their work, which you didn't receive permission to do.

The most you can do with the models is edit and print them for yourself, or give them away for free. Can't even sell them at the cost of the materials.

You could contact PGI though, see if they'd be willing to donate assets to you for a limited time or quantity. They likely would want to be part of the quality control process, and making sure that you represent their product to their standards, not to mention get a piece of the pledge money and slather advertising all over your project. It's a lot of work on their end, as well as on yours, and they would probably just say, "No" to avoid that.

Best of luck though.

#4 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

Ok. Well then I will just with the program and leave it at that. I don't want to piss anyone off.

#5 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:29 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 09 February 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

You could contact PGI though, see if they'd be willing to donate assets to you for a limited time or quantity. They likely would want to be part of the quality control process, and making sure that you represent their product to their standards, not to mention get a piece of the pledge money and slather advertising all over your project. It's a lot of work on their end, as well as on yours, and they would probably just say, "No" to avoid that.

Best of luck though.

No point doing that PGI has like zero merchandising rights afaik. They definitely have no miniature rights.

#6 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:08 PM

DJ

Do you know what type file extensions solid works will accept?

Back in 2007 l got into presision machining and even way back then I had a dream to make RC battle Mechs
I am talking something that would be 36 inches or more tall

Anyway I figure in my retirement I might start back at the local JR college but not for any degree but just for fun and
Something to do

Just wondering what type of files the current version of solid works would accept
Thanks

#7 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:11 PM

positive you can use it for private use

but any type of commercial use would fall under copyright law

No point doing that PGI has like zero merchandising rights afaik. They definitely have no miniature rights.

They own the rights to the 3d models. In fact they granted licensing rights for the 3d models for the new battletech game.

Edited by Khobai, 18 December 2015 - 07:13 PM.

#8 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:30 PM

View PostKhobai, on 18 December 2015 - 07:11 PM, said:

positive you can use it for private use

but any type of commercial use would fall under copyright law

They own the rights to the 3d models. In fact they granted licensing rights for the 3d models for the new battletech game.

They gave model at the Steam Lunch Party. Anyone else would need permission to do the same. I doubt they would give the rights to the model to anyone beside a partnership like HBS.

They are sitting on a gold mine and arent doing anything with it and i cant imagine them giving it to anyone else. I mean, BT fans seems to like playing with their dolls, and i certainly found an enthusiasm about customising my in game mech camo and colors i did not know i had.

#9 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 18 December 2015 - 07:30 PM, said:

They gave model at the Steam Lunch Party. Anyone else would need permission to do the same. I doubt they would give the rights to the model to anyone beside a partnership like HBS.

They are sitting on a gold mine and arent doing anything with it and i cant imagine them giving it to anyone else. I mean, BT fans seems to like playing with their dolls, and i certainly found an enthusiasm about customising my in game mech camo and colors i did not know i had.

PGI only has the rights to make video games with the battletech IP. It cannot sell anything else.

Which is why if one were to 3D print a couple out for your own use well... PGI doesn't really give a frack. Now if one were to sell them Catalyst who owns the TT and model making rights will sue the pants off you.

#10 Col Jaime Wolf

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:50 PM

View PostDjPush, on 09 February 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

I'm an engineering student with a license for Solidworks 2013-14. For spits and grins I would like to start making 3d design specs to make desk top models of mechs from this game. Probably for use with a 3D printer. This is for practicing with solid works. Can I get in trouble for that? I don't intend on selling the models. Maybe start a kick start fund to pay to the 3D printer. Pledges receive models for contributing to the 3D printer.

plx read all of this, i know its kinda long, forgive me for explaining some things 3 different ways but its relevant.

copyright laws work to safeguard one companies trade secrets/IP est and to prevent other companies from profiting from their associated copyrights/IP's est. but you are not a company, neither are your intentions to open up a whole sale outlet selling 3d printed models.

so im fairly certain what your saying falls under "fair use", you are not directly exporting the 3d models from MWO to your 3d printer,

you have to (by hand) translate those models into solid works. you do not intend to sell the mechs for profit as a company. rather you as an individual intend to reward financial backers with a one time sample. after that there will be no more models offered or manufactured for sale. so you cannot really be accused of copyright infringement (because you are an individual, you are not a corporation).

many many people get this confused and don't understand that a "person" is not a "human" or "individual" in the legal sense. a "person" is a corporation.

people spin it/confuse the issue to make it sound like corporations were defined as a person, but corporations have always been a person, we are humans, individuals. we are not persons in the legal sense.

which means as long as your not trying to turn a profit, and make a business out of something almost anything you do with that thing, copyrighted or not falls under "fair use" exactly because you are not trying to turn a profit or make a business/corporation which would in turn defraud the holder of that copyright.

You can use kick starter for your 3d printer and reward the pledges with models that you print. you cannot sell them as a good. does a pledge reward count as a direct sale? no, it does not, legally speaking. can you get into trouble for copying PGI's designs as such? no so long as you do not profit or intend to profit from such an arrangement.

that being said I think the best course of action (since you say you want to work with solid works and making mechs might be fun for you) is to engage with PGI and ask their blessing, maybe they will provide you with better models/sketches from which to transfer over to solid works with.

inquire to PGI if they would like to buy the solid works files from you so they can sell 3d prints if they like. they might even contract you to continue making solid works files of mechs, vehicles, dropships est. you might be able to make real money from this without having to put yourself in any questionable position with a little tact.

thats my 2 cents. but you as an individual, can do pretty much whatever you want so long as no one can prove you made a profit or intended to defraud because copyright law is only binding on corporations and not individuals. and you cannot be sued for damages because if you didn't profit then there are no damages that can be claimed against you.

Edited by Mellifluer, 18 December 2015 - 10:04 PM.

#11 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:52 PM

View PostDjPush, on 09 February 2015 - 01:52 PM, said:

Speaking of desktop, I would like a Betty for mine that says "all systems nominal" at start up and stuff. :)

#12 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:36 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 18 December 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

Speaking of desktop, I would like a Betty for mine that says "all systems nominal" at start up and stuff. Posted Image

If all you need are the sound-files, have a look here: http://www.sarna.net...es/media/audio/

I´m using
-Reactor online... for Windows start-up
-Shutdown sequence initiated... for closing Windows
-Heat-level critical... for general warnings
-Satellite uplink established... for incoming messages

and a couple others that I very rarely hear and can´t remember right now Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users