• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:31 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 10 February 2015 - 08:22 AM, said:

FTFY.

I didn't say that but I'm flattered I matter so much to you that you took time out of your life to put those words into my mouth.

#62 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 10 February 2015 - 08:22 AM, said:

We've gotten Community Warfare. The very feature that people bitched about not having and used to accuse PGI of malfeasance.

So, that you can say "little development" even despite that, tells me all I need to know about your intentions towards this conversation.

FTFY.

Yes, dark saber, we got a minimally viable community warfare that they pieced together over the span of 3 months, proving that there was very little reason it wasn't delivered years ago. They also did more development during september-december 2014 than they did during all of 2013 and the rest of 2014 combined.

I can't imagine why that is, though. Do you have any theories?

#63 Black Arachne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:56 AM

View PostAfrothunderkat, on 10 February 2015 - 02:55 AM, said:

$35-50 mech ain't helping.

Lower 30 day prem to $6.99 and u'd see a huge increase in players. Lower mech $$$ costs...

I'd Pay $5-15 for mechs, not $50.

Very true - saw that video about Whales on EC - and decided not to support any game that asks for this much money on any virtual item.

Edited by Black Arachne, 10 February 2015 - 08:56 AM.

#64 Serpieri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 10 February 2015 - 02:51 AM, said:

The forums have suffered a huge pop decline since late november last year.

There used to be up to 2000 idlers on, but these days, it hovers near 700.

Part of that could be PGI's handling of their own forums but it does seem population took a hit. Friend list is down to 3-5 on a good day when it used to be around 20+ and most of them have moved on playing other games waiting for changes to come to MWO.

Edited by Serpieri, 10 February 2015 - 09:18 AM.

#65 Roadkill

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:28 AM

35k unique players over one specific weekend sounds reasonable to me. My estimates based on a variety of inputs (including Kiiyor's data) put MWO at around 100k active users as a minimum, meaning people who log in at least once a week.

#66 RePlayBoy101

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:36 AM

View PostRoadkill, on 10 February 2015 - 09:28 AM, said:

35k unique players over one specific weekend sounds reasonable to me. My estimates based on a variety of inputs (including Kiiyor's data) put MWO at around 100k active users as a minimum, meaning people who log in at least once a week.

no just no... even warthunder has less players...

#67 ollo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 10 February 2015 - 02:51 AM, said:

The forums have suffered a huge pop decline since late november last year.

There used to be up to 2000 idlers on, but these days, it hovers near 700.

And the rest are ingame playing CW?

#68 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:36 AM

Huh, I didn't play at all during the weekend tournament. Do I still count as an active player?

(Damn you SR4:GooH!! Then again, after 30 hours or so in that game, it'll be shelved permanently. That's about 5% of the time I've put into MWO. The difference is I'll keep coming back to MWO, because the gameplay is spot on perfect!)

Edited by Heffay, 10 February 2015 - 10:37 AM.

#69 Rebas Kradd

• 2,969 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:18 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 10 February 2015 - 08:27 AM, said:

I would classify what they call CW as little to no development. Obviously the PGI fans have different standards as they are used to settling for better than nothing. In fact some of the white knights have even stated better a half assed game than no game. You really can't reason with that level of settling.

No, calling CW "little to no development" is the kind of willful ignorance that can't be reasoned with.

***** about the design all you want and it'll be a valid point, but the implementation still required all the usual manhours.

Edited by Rebas Kradd, 10 February 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#70 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:20 AM

All i see is speculation here.

Nothing to see here, move along.

#71 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostRebas Kradd, on 10 February 2015 - 11:18 AM, said:

No, calling CW "little to no development" is the kind of willful ignorance that can't be reasoned with.

***** about the design all you want and it'll be a valid point, but the implementation still required all the usual manhours.

Yes the usual man hours PGI puts in to make a MVP, emphasis on minimum. Like I said, setting the standard low is the usual fare for PGI fans. Who cares what they produced, they worked on it. So they didn't work well, I mean what do people expect? A company with a history of making Grade Z shovel ware and console fishing games can't be expected to do good work. We should praise them for doing any work at all. As stated earlier, better a half assed CW than no CW. If one sets one's standards low enough, even PGI can achieve such low goals. PGI did the bare minimum and we should be glad they did even that. Remember, PGI doesn't owe you anything and they work just enough to meet deadlines. I mean they hit the deadline, I mean it's like the 3rd time they set a deadline for CW but god damn it they made this one.
Obviously a lot of people have crazy entitlement issues and expect more, but lets not hold it against PGI. At least they did the bare minimum and should be proud. Holding them to higher standards is just asking for disappointment. So lower your standards and enjoy the MVP. This is what PGI delivers.

#72 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:39 AM

View PostRG Notch, on 10 February 2015 - 11:30 AM, said:

Yes the usual man hours PGI puts in to make a MVP, emphasis on minimum. Like I said, setting the standard low is the usual fare for PGI fans. Who cares what they produced, they worked on it. So they didn't work well, I mean what do people expect? A company with a history of making Grade Z shovel ware and console fishing games can't be expected to do good work. We should praise them for doing any work at all. As stated earlier, better a half assed CW than no CW. If one sets one's standards low enough, even PGI can achieve such low goals. PGI did the bare minimum and we should be glad they did even that. Remember, PGI doesn't owe you anything and they work just enough to meet deadlines. I mean they hit the deadline, I mean it's like the 3rd time they set a deadline for CW but god damn it they made this one.
Obviously a lot of people have crazy entitlement issues and expect more, but lets not hold it against PGI. At least they did the bare minimum and should be proud. Holding them to higher standards is just asking for disappointment. So lower your standards and enjoy the MVP. This is what PGI delivers.

Youp pgi is what it is

Its like a strange person in your peer group you accepted as he is. You still dont like his Bs but you rather happy he doesnt go full ********

#73 Torgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostSarlic, on 10 February 2015 - 11:20 AM, said:

All i see is speculation here.

Nothing to see here, move along.

You expected PGI to put the player counter in this thread?

#74 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

Obviously a lot of people have crazy entitlement issues and expect more

You don't say....

#75 White Panther

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

God damnit my sides hurt now

#76 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

View PostTorgun, on 10 February 2015 - 11:41 AM, said:

You expected PGI to put the player counter in this thread?

Nope. But i dont care what the player count is.

#77 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:45 PM

View PostHeffay, on 10 February 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

Huh, I didn't play at all during the weekend tournament. Do I still count as an active player?

(Damn you SR4:GooH!! Then again, after 30 hours or so in that game, it'll be shelved permanently. That's about 5% of the time I've put into MWO. The difference is I'll keep coming back to MWO, because the gameplay is spot on perfect!)

No you are a meanignless nothing because, yeah statistical anlyse of only 2 days XD

#78 Doc Sav

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:12 PM

I think the OP's figures are as reasonably correct as anyone could presume to be based on the information at hand. When you are making calculations based on assumptions like this, they are only as valid as your weakest assumptions. While you can substitute any given assumption for another, I don't think any of us have the data to support one as being categorically stronger than another. Suffice to say they are as good an approximation as we could expect to have, whether you favor a higher or lower end of the field.

As to the PGI apologists and detractors... I certainly can see both sides here. On the one hand, I stepped away from the game for over a year and jumped back in to see what had developed. Lots of new mechs, and CW, are basically the only changes. The only strong gameplay improvement is CW's focus on objective based play, but even that is probably not as strong as most were hoping for.

On the other side, I don't anticipate there is a big line of developers waiting to take up the Battletech mantle if PGI fails. The IP is fraught with fragmented and problematic copyright issues, and has not proven more than modestly successful (at best) in modern gaming markets. I am sure that many players who are very forgiving of PGI see the same thing. I still thing strong core gameplay should have been the priority for development, but getting here at all lends some credibility to the idea that PGI has a love of the IP.

#79 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:13 PM

View PostDoc Sav, on 10 February 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

has not proven more than modestly successful (at best) in modern gaming markets

5.5 million in founder's money before kickstarter was a thing, or we had even developed real crowdfunding. MWO was the biggest crowdfunder ever until starcitizen eclipsed it in july 2013.
Allegedly we have lots of people who've blown thousands of dollars on the game.
Allegedly, 'some 400' goldmechs sold.
Everytime there's a new hero, you see like 10 of them in every match.
The game's somehow managed to limp along for 3 years of active service now.

Mechwarrior has proven that it's more than modestly successful. Any failings aren't due to the IP, but PGI not taking advantage of said IP, or developing an actual videogame to go with the robot shop, and instead wanting to branch out into the latest space game sandbox fad.

I guarantee you that if PGI were to fold, someone with deeper pockets would snatch up the rights almost instantly, because you don't leave money on the table like that - especially when it's now proven that a minimally viable MWO will milk lots of money out of some of the most loyal players EVER (prospective buyers will do their research and see all the controversies that have rocked MWO over the years).

So MVP online arena game now...imagine how much more money and players an actual MMO could bring in. Mechwarrior is a license to print money.

#80 151st Light Horse Regiment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:17 PM

rip mw:o

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users