2 replies to this topic

#1 Choppah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts
  • LocationIn transit, ETA unknown.

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

Looking for a sci-fi RB6: Raven Shield? Interstellar Marines is where its at. The game is currently in Early Access but it is shaping up nicely. In fact, it is having a free week, until Feb 16. At $6.46 it is totally worth it even in its current form.

/Ad

Seriously though. Totally almost ruined my pants in Coop mode. First thing you will notice is the maps give you an uneasy feeling. The lighting and maps themselves are extremely well designed to convey this atmosphere of uneasiness. You would think that a bunch of robots to fight against would be boring or cliche. So did I until one of those faceless metal manikins runs through a door half a second before it closes and starts mauling you in the middle of reloading.

PvP doesn't have enough completed features for me to really evaluate but it seems like it would be fun. Needs some serious ingame UI work, nothing is explained. A trip to the game's forums is advised.

Don't know if MP will pan out, but the Coop mode may be all I need. In the future they will be adding mutated sharks that can walk...

Yeah I bought it after one two-hour session.

#2 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:43 AM

Well, Half lif eis so far the only game that truly lastered you to surprise with situations where you didn't expected them.
Most other games were extremely predictable when what is goin to happen.

So you think this is a bit different than the usual shooter?

also lol mutated sharks?

Posted Image
xD

Posted Image

But well, seriously, why sharks? is a bit too mainstream, they could use one of the other thousend times more scray looking underwater animals available.

#3 Choppah

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts
  • LocationIn transit, ETA unknown.

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 10 February 2015 - 04:43 AM, said:

Well, Half lif eis so far the only game that truly lastered you to surprise with situations where you didn't expected them.
Most other games were extremely predictable when what is goin to happen.

So you think this is a bit different than the usual shooter?

also lol mutated sharks?

But well, seriously, why sharks? is a bit too mainstream, they could use one of the other thousend times more scray looking underwater animals available.

The training bots in Coop randomly roam the map and are meant to represent crazed scientists/staff. They will appear from any direction, not because they spawned there, but because they love to roam. So the scary parts are unintentional and random, combined with the atmosphere the maps portray, the whole experience can be a little unnerving.

It may be too early to definitively say it is a tactical FPS, but that is certainly the direction the game is heading in. From the immersive HUD to the weapon design and attachments, the devs are paying attention to detail and adding realistic touches. To give an example of the devs priorities: there is not even melee in it yet (or maybe never?), which is a hallmark of this generation's FPS games.

The sharks has something to do with the game's lore which I haven't read up on. If the devs can do it as well as they did the robots, then I am all for it. Try it out, fill in the gaps of this Early Access game with your mind. I may be over doing it with the praise, but I believe if the devs stick with this level of realistic immersion and design, it may be a RB6 like game that fans have been waiting for.

Edited by Choppah, 10 February 2015 - 07:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users