Afkers

12 replies to this topic

#1 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:21 AM

I don't know what is going on and maybe I am unlucky but it seems to be usual to have -if you are lucky only- at least 1 afker in your team - sometimes up to 4 afkers (just like in my last match - one a Cataphract the other a Dire Wolf. Guess how the match ended).

It is no fun to be rolled / roll a team because of those people. It is no problem if it is an irregular incident but as I said above, it seems to become a common thing.

Some mechanic should be introduced to be able to kick someone from the team.
A suggestion:
If a teammember reports someone as afk he gets a timer and if he doesn't hit a key within 30 sec a queued player gets his spot.

#2 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:54 AM

It would be simple to give control over an AFK player to a dead player. It would also be simple to switch one afk player over to the other team if one team has 2 of them and the other team has none. Lots of things could be done if PGI had people with free time to fix things.

#3 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:02 AM

Sorry to tell you this, but I am against any kind of Mechanic that allows another player the power or ability to kick another player from a team. FLAT AGAINST IT.

#4 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:16 AM

View PostKalimaster, on 10 February 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

Sorry to tell you this, but I am against any kind of Mechanic that allows another player the power or ability to kick another player from a team. FLAT AGAINST IT.

He'd only get kicked if he doesn't hit a key within 30 sec after he got reported by several members. Hitting any key within 30 sec shouldn't be too much.

#5 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:17 AM

Its a simple inactive timer. Then the idea of replacement with a player from the queue is excellent.

#6 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:31 AM

Disconnect, desync, game crash, game lock...let's get those things fixed first, then see how many afkrs there actually are.

#7 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

People have families, responsibilties, things that come up. You should never give anyone a hard time that is afk. You have NO idea what is going on with them unless you are in the same room as they are. This is not like an MMO where if you expect to be interrupted the best thing to do is not join that dungeon raid that is about to start. You just play solo quests as time and interruptions allow. And, if you need to go afk you park your character in a same spot. In MWO you have rinse and repeat 8 minute Team Destruction matches. You either join a match or don't play at all. If you play several hours that is MANY matches and the odds you will have teams with players afk is VERY HIGH. Even if one doesn't expect to get interrupted THINGS HAPPEN.

I think the OP is assuming these players are being irresponsible and selfish. How can you say that when you have no idea what is truly going on with them? You are being selfish by expecting every single game to have the conditions YOU expect.

Edited by Coolant, 10 February 2015 - 07:49 AM.

#8 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 10 February 2015 - 07:51 AM

AFK players make good target practice to light pilots. H-H-H-HEADSHOT.

#9 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:06 AM

I try to be understanding about AFKers. After all, I've got 4 kids and life happens, ya know?

That said, I've noticed a lot lately as well. AFKers, not 0 pingers. These are people with an active ping, that just sit there until killed while afk, or they show up after the game is decided one way or another. I know there are campers, that afk in the hope their team will soften the enemy up for some easy kills for them, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen it, personally.

#10 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostCoolant, on 10 February 2015 - 07:47 AM, said:

People have families, responsibilties, things that come up. You should never give anyone a hard time that is afk. You have NO idea what is going on with them unless you are in the same room as they are. This is not like an MMO where if you expect to be interrupted the best thing to do is not join that dungeon raid that is about to start. You just play solo quests as time and interruptions allow. And, if you need to go afk you park your character in a same spot. In MWO you have rinse and repeat 8 minute Team Destruction matches. You either join a match or don't play at all. If you play several hours that is MANY matches and the odds you will have teams with players afk is VERY HIGH. Even if one doesn't expect to get interrupted THINGS HAPPEN.

I think the OP is assuming these players are being irresponsible and selfish. How can you say that when you have no idea what is truly going on with them? You are being selfish by expecting every single game to have the conditions YOU expect.

1. Sorry, I do not want to offend you, but don't you think it is pretty hypocritical to pretend to know what I think? So please stop your strawmen / ad hominems just because you have a different opinion. All I say that the AFKers screw up the rest of their team and the opponents as well (that is if the latter want a good fight and not just a quick steamrolling). If you harbour an other opinion or I err, please say so.

2. Do the reasons really matter? As I said above other people's fun get spoilt - repeatedly. Especially if you have bad luck you have a chain of such "matches". Also, do you really think that someone comes back in time if his kid needs him, he answers a phone call or whatever considering how short the matches are?

Therefore a mechanic to replace those AFKers would be fine to improve the game. Also bear in mind: I never said that those AFKers should be punished.

Edited by Bush Hopper, 10 February 2015 - 09:02 AM.

#11 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostStrykewolf, on 10 February 2015 - 07:31 AM, said:

Disconnect, desync, game crash, game lock...let's get those things fixed first, then see how many afkrs there actually are.

These are hard things to fix, because the causes can be manifold. Might not even be a fault with the game. Some people's computers are...well, let's not go there and just say they might not be very well maintained.

#12 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,981 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:05 AM

AFK or disconnect?

Wait times for just about everything except lights has been really bad..
I know I get sick of waiting, and just set to join a game and go make a cup of coffee or grab something to eat sometimes.

Usually takes anywhere from 30 seconds all the way to 3-5 minutes sometimes, and sitting watching a spinning icon in the middle of the screen just isn't all that exciting.

I don't doubt that others end up doing the same thing, and by the time they finally get into a game, its already started.

Some maps are a little more forgiving than others, but usually is the case that if you aren't there when your team starts moving, you're going to be dead by the time you get back, or in a situation you can't fight your way out of.

Shrug

#13 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostStrykewolf, on 10 February 2015 - 07:31 AM, said:

I don't think he's talking about DCs, though. These are people with an active ping that stand there at their spawn point for the entire game. I've been seeing a lot more of them lately as well.

I don't think there's much else you can do other than carry harder. The games I've had that we have 1 or more Afk players that we win are amongst the most satisfying.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users