The Dcms High Council Speaks

575 replies to this topic

#561 YCSLiesmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

View PostShinobiHunter, on 16 February 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

MW2 was a bit before my time. I was sold the idea of space samurai... Kentares IV was a grieving son's outrage against the killer of his father and most of those carrying out the order committed suicide afterwards... What empire in history hasn't tried to expand it's territories? I'm unfortunately not very well versed in the BT lore, so I'm not too familiar with all the factions. The Combine seemed the most honorable, except maybe the stereotypical good-guy Davion.

In the lore the Combine are the IS bad guys.

#562 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:14 PM

Wobbies.

Katrina Steiner.

Candace Liao.

#563 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 16 February 2015 - 04:10 PM, said:

In the lore the Combine are the IS bad guys.

Perhaps I chose the wrong faction then :ph34r:

#564 psychokineticnz

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:29 PM

Posted Image

#565 Lord Ikka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

Depends on the time line if HK is presented as bad guys or not. Before the War of 3039/Clan Invasion we are the number one enemy in the books, but after that the lore changes to having the more honorable and intelligent aspects of HK society come to the forefront.

#566 Scoops Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 716 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

View PostLord Ikka, on 16 February 2015 - 07:00 PM, said:

Depends on the time line if HK is presented as bad guys or not. Before the War of 3039/Clan Invasion we are the number one enemy in the books, but after that the lore changes to having the more honorable and intelligent aspects of HK society come to the forefront.

Yeah but doesn't the Combine go back to being the villains to an extent in the dark age stuff? I don't know much about that era but I remember reading they helped push in/collapse the republic of the sphere. But then again I hear that whole era and everything in general after the Fedcom Civil War doesn't have a lot of fans.

#567 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:49 PM

View PostSocop, on 16 February 2015 - 09:44 PM, said:

Yeah but doesn't the Combine go back to being the villains to an extent in the dark age stuff? I don't know much about that era but I remember reading they helped push in/collapse the republic of the sphere. But then again I hear that whole era and everything in general after the Fedcom Civil War doesn't have a lot of fans.

In 3145, Yori Kurita and Daoshen Liao are basically satan. Not kidding.

Yori Kurita is an illegitimate child, she has all the actual kuritans killed and assumes the throne simply because there's nobody else with any remote connection the house kurita, then she murders all the nova cats and invades davion.

Daoshen Liao is straight up incestuous (wizkids wanted to be edgy), and then he invades davion. (notice the theme here?)

Caleb davion was ******* insane though, but then he died and julian davion (who is clearly a white blond haired man protagonist)) becomes the first prince.

Edited by pbiggz, 16 February 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#568 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:53 PM

Has anyone said 'Stackpole' in the last 2 pages? If not, I've got that out of the way. Can't discuss anything about BT lore without that. Stackpolian Stackpoling Stackpoles.

Stack.
Pole.

STACKPOLE!

#569 The Mechromancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:56 PM

Clan Plushy Cat are the good guys at this point.

Meeooow!

#570 Chef Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 908 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

View PostShinobiHunter, on 16 February 2015 - 03:55 PM, said:

MW2 was a bit before my time. I was sold the idea of space samurai... Kentares IV was a grieving son's outrage against the killer of his father and most of those carrying out the order committed suicide afterwards... What empire in history hasn't tried to expand it's territories? I'm unfortunately not very well versed in the BT lore, so I'm not too familiar with all the factions. The Combine seemed the most honorable, except maybe the stereotypical good-guy Davion.

It's a mixed bag. They're supposed to be the honorable bad guys who adhere to a code, whereas Liao are the insane ruthless dictatorship run by a madwoman. Later Steiner play the backstabbing civil war military coup bad guy role. Davion is almost universally considered the good guy and the authors' pet

Edited by ChefGerstmann, 16 February 2015 - 10:07 PM.

#571 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:13 PM

I fell in with a very cool group of people who went Davion. In tabletop it was always Marik or Kurita. Sometimes Steiner. Aside from the protagonist...

who are the cool people in Davion? It didn't really have a ton of cool and interesting units or wars or events in the 3025-3050 era.

#572 LoklanZFG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationWraeclast

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:53 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 13 February 2015 - 08:24 AM, said:

The wormhole issue is separate although related.

Sacrificing territory around Terra not something we should readily do with someone who has not joined with the rest of the Inner Sphere to protect it. Thus far without other houses protection all Kurita has done is Cede territory to the clans. There is no reason to think that wouldn't continue all the way to Earth.

The only time we've consistently lost territory to the clans was when Smoke Jags had a merc flood. And our IS neighbors admittedly spearheaded the most unsuccessful defense campaign in CW history. Between that and the pugs, our units were logging into 83% capped planets with 60+/60+ queues. There were times we would go wait in those queues for up to 10 minutes and win or lose a match. But if it was a defense, it couldn't flip a tick back. And every time we won a counter attack it was immediately canceled out by a loss in a concurrent defense match.

Maybe you didn't notice, but the bleeding stopped as soon as CSJ lost all the mercs (long before talks of the nSL even began). They still have the best damn loyalist units we've come across, but its been back and forth ever since. The border has been fairly stable. The notion that the rest of the IS had everything to do with stopping their advance is downright laughable. Unless it was through convincing all the merc units to leave them.

The merc units will go where they want and do what they want, which is what mercs are supposed to do.

And if the rest of the IS wants to throw a few 12 mans at our clan border to pitch in, we appreciate it. That plan was working very well, back before CSJ made the big push. Before that push, and before their merc influx, and the change to 3-a-day attack phases we had them on their heels. But your "protection"? "Ha ha ha ha" is the best response you could hope for with that kind of diction.

Edited by LoklanZFG, 17 February 2015 - 03:59 AM.

#573 LegioIV

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 33 posts
  • Location66th Avalon hussars.

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:25 PM

View PostChefGerstmann, on 16 February 2015 - 10:06 PM, said:

It's a mixed bag. They're supposed to be the honorable bad guys who adhere to a code, whereas Liao are the insane ruthless dictatorship run by a madwoman. Later Steiner play the backstabbing civil war military coup bad guy role. Davion is almost universally considered the good guy and the authors' pet

I hated when the authors glorified the feds, I prefer when no one is the hero and everyone has a bad/good seed. I mean.. how can we be made to be the good guys for starting another succession war for a wedding gift!?!?!?!

Also only reason I dislike the Dracs is what happened to Minobu Testuhara... Had he survived he woulda slaughtered Clans left and right!

Edited by Legioxx, 17 February 2015 - 08:25 PM.

#574 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

View PostLegioxx, on 17 February 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

I hated when the authors glorified the feds, I prefer when no one is the hero and everyone has a bad/good seed. I mean.. how can we be made to be the good guys for starting another succession war for a wedding gift!?!?!?!

Also only reason I dislike the Dracs is what happened to Minobu Testuhara... Had he survived he woulda slaughtered Clans left and right!

But he went out a true samurai, his honor intact to the end. I don't agree with the decisions that forced him to do it, but honor the man's integrity and iron-hard loyalty to his principles.

#575 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 February 2015 - 12:26 AM

Wolves on the border is the worst book of the series. Ugh horrible.

#576 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:27 AM

Gents,

the BTU was always revolving around power politics and the resulting wars. If you are trying to identify who the good guys and who the bad guys are you are already doing it wrong.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 18 February 2015 - 03:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users