The New Star League Fails / Ilclan Formative Efforts Fail - Lessons Learned

134 replies to this topic

#121 Onionbird

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:52 PM

View PostPrussian Havoc, on 04 April 2015 - 06:23 PM, said:

Your frustrations sound loud and clarion clear.

I would counter with, "Beginnings are a very delicate time." (Sorry for the cheesy "Dune/Princess Irulan" quote.) Beta is where gamers like you and I make the strongest possible case we can for the changes we would BOTH like to see. I too would greatly favor PERMCON benefits befitting the inherent LOYALTY involved when someone forgoes ANY other Faction in order to go deep with JUST one. Look at my own example - my "Prussian Havoc" account reached 20th Level just 54-days into CW on 04FEB. Ever since then I have been grinding out Loyalty Points (upwards of 1.4m total thus far) with that account in the so far unrequited hope that PGI will eventually get around to announcing Levels past 20 for each Faction.

But instead of becoming overly frustrated by perhaps banking points toward something that will never happen (Levels past 20) I instead dusted off two of my family's accounts, my daughters' "Connor Sellock" and "Phaelon Wolf" accounts and instead invested a few hundred dollars in each for the Resistance pack, MC buys (with free Clan Mechs, Woot!) and for one account the Clan Wave 3 pack. Now my daughters and I are in the process of leveling both those accounts to Level 20.

At the end my family will enjoy one Level 20 Clan, one Level 20 Inner Sphere and one endlessly #MercLife Jack-of-all-Factions/Master-of-None - my intend for this last family account (and one that best befits Lauren's nature!) is to eventually reach Level 6 in each Faction, followed by Level 10 in each Faction.

PGI offers us an immersive game FROM MANY ANGLES. I can truly offer personal testimonial that "CSJ-style of Factional Politics/in-game tactics evolution" is GREATLY divergent from "House Kurita-style Factional Politics/in-game tactics evolution."

And MWO is all the stronger and more immersive for the fact that each Faction has in deed developed its own FLAVOR, it's own TEXTURE.

As to, "How best can we work within the process of aiding PGI to evolve MWO into the game WE would best enjoy playing at Community Warfare Phase 3 Launch?"

Our dialogue here.

Our various threads and posts here on MWO Forum.

Our various threads and posts on REDDIT.

Our individual Tweets on Twitter.

ALL MWO-Support requests.

There are these and no doubt other means by which PGI learns what its gamer population for MWO wants.

MOST CRUCIAL in all this is PGI's fiscal health. I learned with Demigod (http://demigodthegame.com) and MechWarrior:Tactics (http://en.m.wikipedi...Warrior_Tactics) that if care by the player base is not given toward the continued fiscal health of the developer/publisher (for us there is only PGI...thank goodness!) games either "fade away" like Demigod... or are "AX MURDERED" like MWT.

For my family's part, we have no problem investing in PGI sufficient to ENCOURAGING PGI TO COMPLETE MWO and then take up DEVELOPMENT OF MECHWARRIOR7 (MWO being considered MW6.)

PGI is not a gamer-welfare program. "MWO" puts food on the tables of all 50-odd employees at PGI. Make no mistake about it, if PGI's Steam Launch doesn't go well, it will be a nail (or twenty) in the coffin of MWO.

I, for one would rejoice if PGI were to open up another title for development... and after my family's investment in multiple MWT Founder's packs, few would blame me if I tried on occassion to suggest PGI "pick up the option" on MWT:

https://twitter.com/...539456323084288

The Coordinator eventually interns his own set of "plushy kitties" Warrior Caste: http://www.sarna.net...Wars_of_Reaving

I suppose that please the Coordinator to no end, especially as these Clan Smoke Jaguar Warrior Caste descendants eventually formed the New Republic's "Fidelis" Unit: http://www.sarna.net...Jaguar#Dark_Age

i applaud anyone who can actually parse your sleep-promoting posts.

#122 The Shredder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 178 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

The Inner Sphere might unite again.
But why bother when the clanners are all-too happy to fight each other for the "Right" to conquer us lowly freebirths?
A couple week-day truces, a few Thursday wars, and any one of the great and noble Successor Houses would tear through Clan space and reclaim the lost Republic. Hasn't happened yet, but get enough Prussian Havocs poking at folks with their forked tongues, trying to pre-justify a brutal conquest of the holds of The Coordinator, calling mother Terra just a stepping stone...

Luckily most of us see this for what it is. A game. While my "Gaijin" brothers were rebuked during our short stay fighting for the Noble Dragon, we ever work harder to try and maintain some balance, to try and make this whole experience fun for everybody. True to their ancient heritage, our "Help" was seen as a hindrance, and our Draconian brothers do indeed have the soldiers needed to fight on four different fronts. All I can add is that I won't lead any incursions against the Dragon, no matter where my regiment may go. Indeed, I see no point in engaging in combat with the armies of the other noble lords.

Clanners want us to either hand them the keys to the kingdom, or prove we have the kot to protect it ourselves.

Prussian's updates are the acts of a hut'uun. But 'ware your shebs. We've entered Steiner territory now, and to that I say,
OYA!

#123 callmejon

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 76 posts
  • Locationeverywhere

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

I enjoyed dropping with you Gaijin though our traditions may appear to shun newcomers, we welcome all with open arms, an honorable bow, training if needed and all the Sake you can drink. though it seems to lack when compared to the Viking mead.(So tasty) i hope to one day drop with you again in Kurita, Stiener or Rasalhauge space, where ever the tides of battle take us in the battle for our northern territory, you have your honor here

*Bows*

#124 Prussian Havoc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

View Postcallmejon, on 07 April 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

I enjoyed dropping with you Gaijin though our traditions may appear to shun newcomers, we welcome all with open arms, an honorable bow, training if needed and all the Sake you can drink. though it seems to lack when compared to the Viking mead.(So tasty) i hope to one day drop with you again in Kurita, Stiener or Rasalhauge space, where ever the tides of battle take us in the battle for our northern territory, you have your honor here

*Bows*

This has proven remarkably true, the Dragon of MWO has indeed proven inclusive of newcomers to the Combine...

...such aggregate Factional appreciation of the STRENGTHS to be found in COMMUNITY warfare, is NOT to be found in all Factions.

"Bows (5-degrees deeper and for a full count of 4)"

Edited by Prussian Havoc, 16 April 2015 - 07:47 AM.

#125 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:42 PM

With the fall of TUKAYYID and the claiming of EARTH as their Prize, the Clans take moments of collective pause to assess those tactics and strategies that worked and those that proved non-viable.

While the concepts from Lore of an ilKhan and ilClan remain elusive within an MWO context, with the current map reset, the clock is once again turned back and we have another "set of downs" with which to work.

Seeing as how PGI makes no allowance for the recognition of an ilClan nor the ascendancy of an IlKhan, I do NOT expect the Clans to be incenivized sufficiently to rise above their innate parochialism and reach toward the INCLUSIVENESS necessary to realize the true Clan Unity of Purpose embodied in Lore by an ilKhan/ilClan.

But that is not necessarily a bad thing as it is equally unlikely the Inner Sphere will be able to set aside their petty squabbles and first realize a true Star League.

Lessons learned here as well as the more important Lessons Learned posted to internal-Unit forums will come to form the basis of better, more effective/efficient CW gameplay as we move forward.

Good Luck and Good Gaming to ALL!

#126 Mizr Ward

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 11:56 PM

View PostPrussian Havoc, on 13 February 2015 - 11:10 AM, said:

The original 110 posts and OP (below) give rise to greater and more inclusive discussions as to how best adjust available variables to better enable Star League and ilClan formation in the future.

This Post is the reboot post to enable discussions pursuant to the new Title (above.)
*snip*

Chalcas.

#127 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:14 AM

The most important lesson learned by the Clans in Tukayyid -

try to keep the mercs on your side. They do all your heavy lifting.

#128 Connor Sellock

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 01 May 2015 - 05:14 AM, said:

This is nothing but a page from history: http://en.m.wikipedi...ssian_(soldiers)

Or my favorite: http://www.history.c...es-from-history

As you wil see, number 6 on the list is: The Varangian Guard, "namesake" of a Unit House KURITA employed during this past Event -VRGD (http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4139486)

Great effort by Mercanaries on EACH side of the Battle Of TUKAYYID Event - a job well done!

Edited by Connor Sellock, 01 May 2015 - 09:24 AM.

#129 Crockdaddy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSaint Louis

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:36 AM

For many MERC units the allure of money and glory can be found in the Timber/Hellbringer/Stormcrow combo. I know I drool at times to bring mine to battle. I would love to try my 8 Dire 2 Kitfox (ECM AMS) 2 Timber first wave out for fun.

#130 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:34 AM

This event shows clearly the current problem with mercs, you basically had one horde unit pretty much dictate the outcome of the event. Where ever MS decided to go for the duration was destined to upset the balance. Sure CWI is a large unit, but you cant sit here and tell me that 20k of their score wasnt MS pouring the numbers on. Mercs should of been key pillars of strength in a faction wide event like this, not the core of it. Or at least have MWO straight up veer as far away from the canon universe as possible, then it wouldnt matter, but you cant build the game on the concept of the canon universe and not hold the consistency.

#131 Connor Sellock

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:30 PM

View PostSteelWarrior, on 02 May 2015 - 02:34 AM, said:

This event shows clearly the current problem with mercs, you basically had one horde unit pretty much dictate the outcome of the event. Where ever MS decided to go for the duration was destined to upset the balance. Sure CWI is a large unit, but you cant sit here and tell me that 20k of their score wasnt MS pouring the numbers on. Mercs should of been key pillars of strength in a faction wide event like this, not the core of it. Or at least have MWO straight up veer as far away from the canon universe as possible, then it wouldnt matter, but you cant build the game on the concept of the canon universe and not hold the consistency.

PGI can control many things about our game... they can't and shouldn't and don't control a gamer's Right and subsequent decision to join a Unit and then vote to align that Unit with other like-minded Units.

And I refuse to blame or hate on PGI for the right and proper decisions of gamers.

According to some comments here there are some who somehow expect PGI to "magic" them an MWO gamer population that is distributed across all Factions in PERFECT SYMMETRY to Lore, making sure to keep Mercenaries a small side bar to the might and majesty of House Armies.

yeah

Ain't gonna happen.

Incentivizing gamers to distribute themselves across the Factions and then working in some small measures to stabilize Faction populations once distributed (the 72-hour cooldown once a Faction contract is broken for example) are what we should expect from PGI.

That and management of our own expectations becaus we'll NEVER find our way into a FASA-era BattleTech Novel where Factions are set in Lore-based equilibriums.

Now if gamers have ideas on how better PGI can incentivize us toward more balanced population distributions and in how to better harmonize TEMPCON (Merc) and PERMCON (Loyalist) population bases that please add those here or in your own Features Suggestion thread here on the forums.

Viable suggestions just might improve the game for us all rather than appeals to PGI to "magic" us a Lore-based population distribution.

Edited by Connor Sellock, 02 May 2015 - 12:31 PM.

#132 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:33 AM

Ahem.. the star league will fail on its second attempt as badly or worse than on its first.

#133 Czarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 414 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:03 PM

Star league will fail cause it's run by bloody peasants

#134 Kenyon Burguess

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

star league isn't needed because of the way cw was designed. everyone can do their own thing, and when the tukk events are announced just pug drop together. no further planning needed.

#135 Prussian Havoc

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationShenandoah, PA

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 06 May 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

star league isn't needed because of the way cw was designed. everyone can do their own thing, and when the tukk events are announced just pug drop together. no further planning needed.

You make an excellent point.

Good thing this is BETA and PGI can make some changes.

While Soloist Drops will ALWAYS have a place, when it comes to Events on par with the just completed Battle of TUKAYYID, there should be a lead up to the event where decisions/ actions made at the Faction-level or Star League/ilClan-level should carry forward into the Event. Like perhaps for the next Event, leave the choice of Mode up to a Gamer poll - Just because it is TUKAYYID, does NOT mean Inner Sphere must ALWAYS Defend and Counterattack.

In Lore, the Inner Sphere permitted the Clans to Land uncontested. It is PERFECTLY possible that subsequent ilClan and Star League decisions and negotiations would instead lead to the Inner Sphere seizing the initiative and transitioning to Attacks and Hold Territory missions, and the Clans on the Defensive with Defenses and Counterattacks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users