Panther/enforcer Size Comparos And Hitbox Speculation

50 replies to this topic

#41 NeoAres

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

I'm with Bishop, it's either all or nothing. If PGI goes to the trouble of rescaling mechs at all, it should be accurate. If that means the assaults get smaller, then the assaults get smaller. All that's left is to find a base mech from which to scale from. Once we have that base mech, all we have to do is use math to scale all others as befits their difference in mass/volume (once again, presuming that density is roughly equal across the board).

That being said, it doesn't have to be exact. A ballpark estimate would be just fine with me. But being 30% off the mark, as is the case with the Firestarter-Vindicator ratio, is just unacceptable.

Edited by NeoAres, 14 February 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#42 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:09 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 February 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

so...when you say this.....

you actually mean that you want that..unless you deem them competitive already.

Most of them seem to be sufficiently viable, yes. Or at least, their problems are a result of characteristics other than their physical size (i.e. hardpoints, hitboxes, engine cap, etc.).

I'm not being as generous to most heavies/assaults as I am to mediums because those are the go-to classes for most people (insert queue screenshots here).

EDIT:

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 February 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

Because as it stands, all the 55 tonners have redeeming features (as they are all tier 1 or 2, pretty much), and even most of the 50 tonners get on OK, despite their size.

The Crow is already strong enough, many feel it's too strong...

The others are good in terms of mediums, but in terms of the game as a whole many people still prefer to go with Steiner Scout Lances™. Even during the "reign" of the "mighty" Shadow Hawk (pre-clans) mediums were often overlooked for other options.

Edited by FupDup, 14 February 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:10 PM

View PostNeoAres, on 14 February 2015 - 01:08 PM, said:

I'm with Bishop, it's either all or nothing. If PGI goes to the trouble of rescaling mechs at all, it should be accurate. If that means the assaults get smaller, then the assaults get smaller. All that's left is to find a base mech from which to scale from. Once we have that base mech, all we have to do is use math to scale all others as befits their approximate volume.

Jenner is actually pretty good to scale.

#44 NeoAres

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:14 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 February 2015 - 01:10 PM, said:

Jenner is actually pretty good to scale.

you know, I was just about to suggest Jenner.

#45 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:20 PM

View PostNeoAres, on 14 February 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

This is very obviously a good way to go. From a pure physics standpoint, two mechs of the same weight must have roughly the same volume, unless there is a great discrepancy in density (and why would any mech be less dense than it has to be?). The Shadowhawk, Griffin, Wolverine, and Kintaro should all have the same total volume (that includes anything hanging off it, like the SHawk's guns or the Griffin's missile rack). 50 tonners should be 91% volume of those 55 tonners, and so on.

Harking back to my previous comment about the 35 tonners being too small, they appear from the picture to be about 50% the volume of the 50 tonners (taking into account both height and circumferential discrepancies), when in fact they should be 70% the volume of the 50 tonners. That's a 20% difference between what is and what should be. If we go by the theory that the lights are a good size and the larger mechs should be shrunken, the 50 tonners should actually be about 20% smaller than they currently are.

The Vindicator, meanwhile, is indistinguishable from the 50 tonners. As a 45 tonner, it should be a further 10% less voluminous than them by this calculation, or 30% smaller than it currently is.

I remember at one point someone said that the reason some mechs are so fat is because they have lots of missile tubes, and those take up lots of space.

Then they started releasing mechs with 80+ tubes, and the excuse was never used again. Older mechs were retro-fitted to also feature 80+ tubes, regardless of how huge or small they happen to be.

#46 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 14 February 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

I remember at one point someone said that the reason some mechs are so fat is because they have lots of missile tubes, and those take up lots of space.

Then they started releasing mechs with 80+ tubes, and the excuse was never used again. Older mechs were retro-fitted to also feature 80+ tubes, regardless of how huge or small they happen to be.

Haven't you heard? The Catapult is mostly filled with open space, brah. :rolleyes:

#47 Lord de Seis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta, Canada

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

Couple of my favorites from MPBT3025, I am really excited to try them out.

#48 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostFupDup, on 14 February 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

Haven't you heard? The Catapult is mostly filled with open space, brah. :rolleyes:

Does it, like, man, float on water?

I want to replace one of my cat ears with a huge hookah that leads into the cockpit.

#49 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 01:27 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 14 February 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Does it, like, man, float on water?

Jesuscat?

View PostVassago Rain, on 14 February 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

I want to replace one of my cat ears with a huge hookah that leads into the cockpit.

I can't find that NGNG picture of an Urbanmech smoking out of an Atlas' skull bong...

Edited by FupDup, 14 February 2015 - 01:27 PM.

#50 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:01 PM

View PostFupDup, on 14 February 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

Are VCRs rediscovered Lostech?

Wait until I show you Laserdiscs...

#51 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 02:38 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 14 February 2015 - 02:01 PM, said:

Are VCRs rediscovered Lostech?

Wait until I show you Laserdiscs...