Locusts.

59 replies to this topic

#1 EX S

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:50 AM

How in the world do you get above 200 damage with these things, let alone the 4MG+ laser builds?

I recently picked up a set and I've been running this on my 1st Locust, the 1E: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=151&l=72dcf904ad0cf0462ee9d0ea95a47c4b28c8afdc
and I've picked up the 3S and 1M.

From what I've read it's all about shootin' and scootin', but I keep dying within the first few minutes without scoring a whole lot of damage. However, if I don't run around and poke things I'm useless. What exactly is the strategy to use with these, and how does this work on a map by map basis?

Edited by EX S, 14 February 2015 - 10:52 AM.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 14 February 2015 - 10:57 AM

Pretty much don't be shooting anybody who's looking at you. Pick on engaged enemies, back shoot, move, never fire from the same place twice and never, ever stop.

EDIT: It can be done...

Posted Image

Edited by Terciel1976, 14 February 2015 - 11:04 AM.

#3 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

You've got the right idea. It is all about moving in fast and close to harass your enemies. Locust's usually have the top speed of all mechs in a game, so consequently YOU control the rules of engagement. Locusts are most effective when there are objects/terrain to duck back into after shooting off a few rounds.

It's not as simple as moving in fast however, as I'm sure you've discovered. Zig-zaging and running circles around your enemy is recommended, the more you confuse your opponents with your movement the harder it is to hit you. The key is to be fast AND unpredictable.

Another tactic that would help is to work with your teammates. Locusts are very effective in packs with other light and fast mechs. One locust running circles around you is confusing, but try dealing with three, impossible. You can also try sticking with an Atlas as a support, dealing some extra damage while the enemy focuses on the big mug.

Good luck! :)

#4 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:00 AM

No 'Mech manages 200 atm, but the Locust can get 170kph with speed tweak and a 190 engine. It also has the best accaleration and decalleration in the entire game. You don't engage people directly in a locust. You scoot around the battlefield and bite at the ankles of the larger people. When they take note of you, you're gone. As a 20 ton 'Mech, the Locust has paper-thin armor so you don't really want to get caught up in an open confrontation.

#5 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 14 February 2015 - 11:00 AM, said:

No 'Mech manages 200 atm, but the Locust can get 170kph with speed tweak and a 190 engine. It also has the best accaleration and decalleration in the entire game. You don't engage people directly in a locust. You scoot around the battlefield and bite at the ankles of the larger people. When they take note of you, you're gone. As a 20 ton 'Mech, the Locust has paper-thin armor so you don't really want to get caught up in an open confrontation.

He meant damage, not speed. ;)

#6 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:08 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 14 February 2015 - 11:04 AM, said:

He meant damage, not speed. ;)

Whoops, my bad. Well the idea is the same though. The better you are at not getting detected, the more damage you can do.

EDIT: Oh yeah, here's a cool little tidbit that might help you: The Locust is so small, it can fit under the bridges in HPG Manifold. People never expect you to suddenly jump from there and shoot them in the back.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 14 February 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#7 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:34 AM

I actually found it easier with the MG.

MG do bonus damage to internal structure and components (such as ammo bins...)

Put that and the bit in () together = BIG BOOM
(Sans-CASE, which all Clan mechs come with <_<)

#8 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 14 February 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

I actually found it easier with the MG.

MG do bonus damage to internal structure and components (such as ammo bins...)

Put that and the bit in () together = BIG BOOM
(Sans-CASE, which all Clan mechs come with <_<)

I hate MGs on the LCT, personally.* Absolute minimum face time is my watch-word, even to strongly preferring SPLs over MLs. The 3M nerfs make me :(

*Even more than I hate them generally, that is.

#9 o0Marduk0o

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:48 AM

Sad times for Locust fans. There were 2 above average variants, the 3M and 1E. Next patch will make the 1E shine, while the 3M will drop down on a level with the PB, but still better than all other variants.
The only good news is, the 1E will be better than ever.

#10 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 14 February 2015 - 11:48 AM, said:

Sad times for Locust fans. There were 2 above average variants, the 3M and 1E. Next patch will make the 1E shine, while the 3M will drop down on a level with the PB, but still better than all other variants.
The only good news is, the 1E will be better than ever.

Yeah...my 1E will be my go-to LCT with 6MLs, but it won't be half as fun as the 5SPL 3M. Remains to be seen if it will be as effective. We've actually run 3Ms in comp to free tonnage for other things, I'm not sure the 1E will be that level of effective.

#11 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:54 AM

View PostTerciel1976, on 14 February 2015 - 11:51 AM, said:

Yeah...my 1E will be my go-to LCT with 6MLs, but it won't be half as fun as the 5SPL 3M. Remains to be seen if it will be as effective. We've actually run 3Ms in comp to free tonnage for other things, I'm not sure the 1E will be that level of effective.

You can run 6 SPL on the 1E now, because the quirks are for all energy weapons. The only problem is range. With the reduced heat quirk 6 ML might be cool enough to run.

Edited by o0Marduk0o, 14 February 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#12 EX S

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:55 AM

Well, thanks to the advice of everyone in this thread, I was able to increase my average damage these last few games to around 100-150 points of damage. Although I never thought stealth would be useful (or possible) in a mech sim of all things...

View PostSethAbercromby, on 14 February 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

Oh yeah, here's a cool little tidbit that might help you: The Locust is so small, it can fit under the bridges in HPG Manifold. People never expect you to suddenly jump from there and shoot them in the back.

Thanks to this tip I was able to get a 232 damage game on HPG just now. I died because I fixated too much on one target, so I definitely need to work on knowing when to disengage.

Are there any mechs who I should flat out never attempt to fight without a reasonable advantage? I've heard Streak Carriers are bad news, but what mechs typically carry them?

#13 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:58 AM

View Posto0Marduk0o, on 14 February 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

You can run 6 SPL on the 1E now, because the quirks are for all energy weapons. The only problem is range. With the reduced heat quirk 6 ML might be cool enough to run.

60% range vs. 25% range is a big drop. 5 with 180 range beat 6 with ok range on the 1E or 4 with ECM on the PB. I'll try it out, mind you, but I'm skeptical.

View PostEX S, on 14 February 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

Well, thanks to the advice of everyone in this thread, I was able to increase my average damage these last few games to around 100-150 points of damage. Although I never thought stealth would be useful (or possible) in a mech sim of all things...

Thanks to this tip I was able to get a 232 damage game on HPG just now. I died because I fixated too much on one target, so I definitely need to work on knowing when to disengage.

Are there any mechs who I should flat out never attempt to fight without a reasonable advantage? I've heard Streak Carriers are bad news, but what mechs typically carry them?

The worst are Stormcrows. If you get the loadout on an enemy SCR and see "Streak SRM 6" repeated, get to another part of the fight.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:58 AM

View PostEX S, on 14 February 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

Stormcrow are the current big one I keep seeing - but a lot of clan mechs will carry them (despite their horrible reload times)

The heavier ones you can usually slip out of LOS enough to make their streaks useless - but Scrow can turn very fast.

#15 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

Let me redirect you to the not-so-secret Locust hive: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4039695

#16 Scum of the Earth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 106 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 14 February 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

EDIT: Oh yeah, here's a cool little tidbit that might help you: The Locust is so small, it can fit under the bridges in HPG Manifold. People never expect you to suddenly jump from there and shoot them in the back.

I have also noticed that the locust is so small, they can often be at a tall mech's feet and not be visible. Cataphracts, Shadowhawks and Dire Wolves seem to have a problem looking down at their feet. I have literally had locusts at my feet and unable to see or to shoot at them then. It's very annoying. I also had a similar issue with my Raven vs. a Locust once. I knew the little ******* was right in front of me shooting and I just couldn't see the guy. I wasn't sure if that was a graphic issue or what but it was pretty frustrating to not be able to return fire while he smoked me.

#17 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 14 February 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

60% range vs. 25% range is a big drop. 5 with 180 range beat 6 with ok range on the 1E or 4 with ECM on the PB. I'll try it out, mind you, but I'm skeptical.

The 1E is the only one with range bonus now, so we shouldn't lament about the poor 3M. :unsure:

When comparing with the old 60% range quirks:
SPL have ~40m less range resulting in ~150m optimum range.
SL have ~50m less range resulting in ~180m optimum range.

Using ML leads to a range of ~340m which is pretty good considering -25% heat and -25% duration.
-25% heat is only needed for ML setups, which is a direct buff together with -25% duration.

25% less duration improves the pin-point-like behavior of SPL. 1 SPL more in comparison with the 3M is similar in effect to its -20% cooldown quirk.

Considering playing with SPL/SL was a lot brawling, the range reduction shouldn't outweigh the other buffs and running ML won't have any downsides. :)

Edited by o0Marduk0o, 14 February 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#18 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:41 PM

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about the duration. Man, the 1E with 6MLs is going to be a monster...

#19 EX S

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

View PostTarogato, on 14 February 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Let me redirect you to the not-so-secret Locust hive: http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4039695

Ah, this is exactly what I need. Also that bit about the cat and the laser pointer is the single funniest thing I've read all month.

If an Xl 190 is what I need, I'm in a lot of trouble. I dumped quite a bit of my CBills into that XL180 I bought, and I don't see that being useful on anything else...

#20 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

View PostEX S, on 14 February 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

Ah, this is exactly what I need. Also that bit about the cat and the laser pointer is the single funniest thing I've read all month.

If an Xl 190 is what I need, I'm in a lot of trouble. I dumped quite a bit of my CBills into that XL180 I bought, and I don't see that being useful on anything else...

The XL190 is better, but you should be able to get by with the XL180.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users