So Many Factions Depending On Bribery.

33 replies to this topic

#1 Tor Jorgensson

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:35 PM

Do people really need to be paid double to actually show up and fight for Liao/Kurita/FRR?

It seems crazy.

#2 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:38 PM

Its the way the world goes round since loyalists aren't the heart of this game.

#3 Tor Jorgensson

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:45 PM

It makes me sad a little, since it feels like it gimps the spirit of why us fans of TT love our factions in the first place.

There should be WAY more House Regulars and Trueborn Clan units than Mercs and Freeborn, and that should be incentivized somehow in the game to reflect that I think.

Plus, the very idea that the Clans would field "Mercs" at all...

*shudder*

#4 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:55 PM

The bribery is pointless. The difference between 50k and 100k c-bills per 30 mins (dependent on a win) is practically nil. Loyalty points are also worth nothing. Which is why the bribery system has had no noticeable effect on the map whatsoever, and the main contributing factor is where the mercs are on any given week.

#5 Tor Jorgensson

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:58 PM

But, if there could be some way to incentivize Mercs to go full Loyalist, to some faction or another?

And not just make CW depend on where a handful of competitive Merc units decide to park their mechs from week to week?

I feel as though it would be nice.

#6 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:41 AM

So how do you reward loyalists? How do you make factions work as, well, factions, without players being directly in control?

Cuz players directly in control of factions is not a good idea IMO.

#7 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:08 AM

Till the creation of Phase 3: Logistics, there are only toy giveaways. Freedom comes with a price tag, as does loyalty. This is true in real life as it is in a game simulating BELIEVABLE human interaction as CW is ultimately needing to do.

#8 Tor Jorgensson

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:10 AM

I really don't know. I just feel like, right now, it seems like there are many units jumping from faction to faction, and that seems contradictory to what I was really hoping "Faction Warfare" would be.

There are certainly Loyalist units around, your own unit for example, and I think that's fantastic. I wish there were a way to better reward that, and thus, encourage it a bit more, is all I'm saying.

And when there has to be some crazy oddly adjusted pay scale, as some measure to "entice" players to balance the factions or something, it feels like it does the exact opposite of that maybe. As though you don't really get into the faction for the sake of the story or culture, so much as "this pays out at double the rate as the others!".

When I see faction bragging threads from factions that are benefiting from the current pay structure for example, it strikes as a little bit hollow.

#9 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:19 AM

It is hollow because this is beta and battles have no meaning. It is one of the reason I like working with the FWLM. They are realistic in what this all means.... nothing but idle entertainment of what we make of it.

#10 Tor Jorgensson

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:28 AM

I can respect that. I think I am just feeling a bit frustrated at the lack of real "Faction" flavor.

I know CW is technically in "Beta", and there is a chance we could see more stuff like I hope for come along.

This is a deep and rich setting, and we have really only scratched the surface here. Not only for my sake, but for the sake of all those who know nothing about the setting, and only play this because it is giant robots, I want to dig deeper, and get into the marrow of what made so many of us choose the factions we chose in the first place.

#11 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:30 AM

You can thank Stackpole for that.

#12 Tor Jorgensson

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:36 AM

STACKPOLE!

#13 Tor Jorgensson

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:40 AM

As you can tell by my flag, I am more of a Thurston fellow. ;)

#14 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:42 AM

View PostDamon Mattlov, on 15 February 2015 - 11:35 PM, said:

Do people really need to be paid double to actually show up and fight for Liao/Kurita/FRR?

It seems crazy.

its not really double, its just double the win bonus, which is pretty inconsequential, and requires actually winning.

#15 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:51 AM

So rewards are the problem, but not the pittance of reward that you get for winning a match; I tend to pull in about 1-1.5k LP per CW match and 350-500k CB- the "reward" for winning is between 50-100 LP, and 50-100k CB. It doesn't affect almost anyone's decisions for which faction to choose.

What does affect it is this: Every single faction's rank awards cannot be taken away once given out, titles excepted. So your options are: Be a loyalist forever, and get one faction's rewards (enjoy unlocking the cockpit tchotchkes for just 10 billon LP and 9000 hours of play!) or switch between all of them once a month, getting all the low-hanging Mechbays, MC, GXP, and CB.

It's not really a hard choice. If there were any reason whatsoever to do so, I would be a Clan Wolf or Ghost Bear loyalist. As it is, I like having free mech bays! So I'm switching between all the factions, getting the good easy rewards, and in a couple months I might settle down with CWI or someone fun to be a Loyalist with. In the mean time, what's the point? If I can help the map turn the right colour that's great, but I don't really feel like I have much control over how the war turns out, so I might as well get what I can for me.

#16 Tor Jorgensson

• PipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 02:01 AM

View Postaniviron, on 16 February 2015 - 01:51 AM, said:

So rewards are the problem, but not the pittance of reward that you get for winning a match; I tend to pull in about 1-1.5k LP per CW match and 350-500k CB- the "reward" for winning is between 50-100 LP, and 50-100k CB. It doesn't affect almost anyone's decisions for which faction to choose.

What does affect it is this: Every single faction's rank awards cannot be taken away once given out, titles excepted. So your options are: Be a loyalist forever, and get one faction's rewards (enjoy unlocking the cockpit tchotchkes for just 10 billon LP and 9000 hours of play!) or switch between all of them once a month, getting all the low-hanging Mechbays, MC, GXP, and CB.

It's not really a hard choice. If there were any reason whatsoever to do so, I would be a Clan Wolf or Ghost Bear loyalist. As it is, I like having free mech bays! So I'm switching between all the factions, getting the good easy rewards, and in a couple months I might settle down with CWI or someone fun to be a Loyalist with. In the mean time, what's the point? If I can help the map turn the right colour that's great, but I don't really feel like I have much control over how the war turns out, so I might as well get what I can for me.

That, explains a lot actually. I hadn't actually thought of that angle for players.

I do still look forward to a time that Faction choices carry meaning.

#17 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 February 2015 - 03:08 AM

Right now LP rewards are goodies that are open to all, encourage faction flipping in a scavenger hunt format and try to get players to play as much as possible to grind and get data.

Well played PGI... well played.

#18 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:23 AM

View PostDamon Mattlov, on 16 February 2015 - 01:40 AM, said:

As you can tell by my flag, I am more of a Thurston fellow. ;)

Thurston's books are why I am a clan loyalist. Joanna is easily my favorite BT character. What PGI should do is create incentives for players to commit long term to a faction. You HAVE to permanently lose LP's with the opposing faction when you kill them that have to be overcome before you can gain another rank. I have posted many ideas here:

http://mwomercs.com/...75#entry4193675

Edited by Moenrg, 16 February 2015 - 04:32 AM.

#19 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 06:57 AM

View PostMoenrg, on 16 February 2015 - 04:23 AM, said:

Thurston's books are why I am a clan loyalist. Joanna is easily my favorite BT character. What PGI should do is create incentives for players to commit long term to a faction. You HAVE to permanently lose LP's with the opposing faction when you kill them that have to be overcome before you can gain another rank. I have posted many ideas here:

http://mwomercs.com/...75#entry4193675

Again, PGI wanted to have longer Contracts (initial numbers were way longer) but the Community "booo'd" that idea out of existence. So, PGI does what the Community wants and takes BS heat after. You want Merc's to stay with faction longer, promote locking them into longer term contracts and see how that goes.
Gotta be tough when PGI gives the Community what it wants and then gets ragged on... Typical I guess. No way to placate a spoiled child.

#20 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:01 AM

View PostDamon Mattlov, on 15 February 2015 - 11:45 PM, said:

It makes me sad a little, since it feels like it gimps the spirit of why us fans of TT love our factions in the first place.

There should be WAY more House Regulars and Trueborn Clan units than Mercs and Freeborn, and that should be incentivized somehow in the game to reflect that I think.

Plus, the very idea that the Clans would field "Mercs" at all...

*shudder*

yup PGI did it their usual arse about face way, introducing merc's before loyalists

View PostAlmond Brown, on 16 February 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

Again, PGI wanted to have longer Contracts (initial numbers were way longer) but the Community "booo'd" that idea out of existence. So, PGI does what the Community wants and takes BS heat after. You want Merc's to stay with faction longer, promote locking them into longer term contracts and see how that goes.
Gotta be tough when PGI gives the Community what it wants and then gets ragged on... Typical I guess. No way to placate a spoiled child.

I wanted longer contracts the 7day ones a complete joke

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users