This Will Sound Silly, But...turrets Op

14 replies to this topic

#1 NeoAres

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

Well, not so much overpowered, but too easily able to influence a game that has nothing to do with capturing the base. Especially on River City and Caustic, the auto-lock LRM launchers and relatively indestructible nature of the turrets (unless they're already firing at you and even then it takes several salvoes that usually get donated to the enemy mechs instead). We have succeeded in making the bases less vulnerable to locust charges, but it's also made base camping a very inviting option, especially for the last coward standing.

There are plenty of ways to make turrets less impacting on the non-capping game without rendering them inert for their primary purpose of dissuading lights from blitzing the enemy base.

1. Lower HP and increase size. This one I'd say is pretty much a mandatory change. It takes even the heaviest mechs multiple salvoes to destroy a single turret, and that's after it's already uncovered and firing. Light mechs are more likely to get destroyed by a pristine turret than destroy one. They're also tough to spot and tough to hit, especially when retracted. I'd say lower HP by at least 20%, lower retracted armor bonus by 50%, and increase size by 25%.

AND one of the following options

2. Eliminate retracting ability altogether. If a heavy enemy force wants to snipe out the turrets early in the game on River City (providing the opposing team isn't doing a good job of protecting them), they should be able to. If a light wants to try and infiltrate the base by sniping out the turrets in its way from long range, it should be able to do so without receiving receiving return fire. Getting the "base under attack" message should actually make you fear losing the base defenses. Right now when I get the message, my first thought is "lol noob is wasting firepower on turrets instead of on us"

3. Make turret activation capture-dependent. They only activate when someone enters the capture box (like a security system). Once activated, they'd stay activated, but until they were tripped by an intruder, they would stay retracted.

4. Replace the LRM launcher with a SRM launcher. At least make it so that when you engage an enemy turret, you don't have to get pelted by all of them. They don't even hit enemy lights most of the time, meaning their only purpose is to annoy the crap out of mechs that are nowhere close to the capture point. They'll be even more effective against would-be cappers and will force attackers to keep moving laterally to avoid getting hit by SRM barrages.

5. Reduce the number of turrets, at least on smaller and hotter maps. Honestly, to get full coverage of the capture box, all you need is two turrets on opposite sides of it. They provide plenty enough firepower to deter or destroy would-be light cappers unless they attack en-masse. The biggest, coldest maps like HPG and Alpine can retain their current number, but small hot maps like Canyon Network and Viridian Bog shouldn't have more than two. Maps that fall in the middle of that realm can compromise with 3-4.

Edited by NeoAres, 20 February 2015 - 09:16 AM.

#2 XXXBunnyXXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • 203 posts
  • LocationFar Far Away

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

the lrm turrets need to go ... on some maps they can target you up to 700 meters

i wuld change them to laser turrets only but thats just me

Edited by XXXBunnyXXX, 20 February 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:15 AM

The LRM turrets are annoying beyond comprehension. They seem to be able to get locks instantly and from massive range.

#4 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:16 AM

700m is fair considering LRMs reach 1000m from mechs. Logically a base turret LRM would be larger/better tech and reach further.

However since we are talking apples and apples..I would swear base LRM actually fire further than 1000m now sometimes (I think it's map dependant..Caustic being the main offender) and ignore ECM entirely.

I get so tired of being peppered by base LRMs when I am really no where near or attacking the base.

#5 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:19 AM

View PostBellatorMonk, on 20 February 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

700m is fair considering LRMs reach 1000m from mechs. Logically a base turret LRM would be larger/better tech and reach further.

However since we are talking apples and apples..I would swear base LRM actually fire further than 1000m now sometimes (I think it's map dependant..Caustic being the main offender) and ignore ECM entirely.

I get so tired of being peppered by base LRMs when I am really no where near or attacking the base.

Really? 'Cause my Hellbringers (ECM heavy) never get painted with LRM's from base assualts, and I'm often pushing on the base....

#6 Rahul Roy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:21 AM

View PostNeoAres, on 20 February 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

4. Replace the LRM launcher with a SRM launcher. At least make it so that when you engage an enemy turret, you don't have to get pelted by all of them. They don't even hit enemy lights most of the time, meaning their only purpose is to annoy the crap out of mechs that are nowhere close to the capture point. They'll be even more effective against would-be cappers and will force attackers to keep moving laterally to avoid getting hit by SRM barrages.

Agreed! This is the only change I'd like to see in fact.

Well this or somehow giving them an LRM ammo supply so that at some point they stop firing.

#7 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:22 AM

LRM turrets are annoying, till you have no armor then they are terrifying.

Laser turrets are just a *****.

#8 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:23 AM

<sigh> clanners complaining about anything that detracts from easy-mode.

#9 NeoAres

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 20 February 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

Really? 'Cause my Hellbringers (ECM heavy) never get painted with LRM's from base assualts, and I'm often pushing on the base....

It's a fact. ECM used to block turrets' view once upon a time but they decided that made it too easy for ECM lights to cap base so they made ECM ineffective vs. turrets. Guess you've just been getting lucky...

Edited by NeoAres, 20 February 2015 - 09:24 AM.

#10 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 20 February 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

>Implying that IS never has to face turrets in CW or pug
>Implying that because they have clan icons they aren't good pilots

wot?

#11 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

I don't see how LRM turrets have any impact in that area.

#12 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostNeoAres, on 20 February 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

It's a fact. ECM used to block turrets' view once upon a time but they decided that made it too easy for ECM lights to cap base so they made ECM ineffective vs. turrets. Guess you've just been getting lucky...

Well I usually engage at around 900-1000m with ERLL and a big fat TC.... so I'm outside of the lasers, and I guess just out side of the detection range with ECM up...

#13 NeoAres

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:28 AM

Sorry, I should specify. I've played only a handful of CW matches (all of which were with IS tech) so for all I care, the turrets there can stay the same. If it wasn't obvious from the wording in my post, I am talking about the turrets in Assault gametype.

View PostMetus regem, on 20 February 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

Well I usually engage at around 900-1000m with ERLL and a big fat TC.... so I'm outside of the lasers, and I guess just out side of the detection range with ECM up...

Unless someone else is drawing fire so you can shoot at a deployed turret, that turret is retracted...which means your shooting at it is basically worth diddly squat. Also, turret detection range isn't 1000m. I think its only 800m. If they could be efficiently destroyed from 1000m without being able to return fire, there wouldn't be an issue, but the fact is they're too well protected until they see you and start shooting at you.

Edited by NeoAres, 20 February 2015 - 09:33 AM.

#14 ThirtyOughtSix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:31 AM

On the fence with this one. I agree that the range of the LRMs need to be reduced. However, the fact that there is turrets makes for a nice twist to the gameplay when there is say 2v1 left. Last guy needs to attack but the leading team needs to decide wether or not to assault...I like eet.

Side topic - shorten the match time allowance by 5 minutes. Thanks.

#15 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:34 AM

Never really found them to be that big of an issue then again I move back and fourth and sneak up on them.
If we remove stuff like this then the game becomes much more boring than it already is. We need objects like running in from the sides of HGP and you shoot the big round thing on the wall should activate a random trap or opens a door to a tunnel someplace, only activatable after 3 mins in etc. Game is lacking content as is don't take away please.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users