20 replies to this topic

#1 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:06 AM

So another challenge weekend. Another bunch of free stuff. Another half a dozen QQ threads in the forums.

I am just not seeing what you seem to be seeing.

This is one of the rare weekends where i've actually had two days free to sit and commit to the challenge. I got the Adder and unless I get a miracle run of games tomorrow night that's as far as i'll get.

For all the players who think that 2 days solid playing just to win 3 days premium time, 40 (i think) modules and an Adder. Compare that to the time you would have to spend earning the c-bills to buy that stuff outright.

As for player behavior. Well Nine out of Ten games were just normal. No discernible change to player behavior. Nor did I notice any change in the number of Lrm equiped mechs.

I also didn't notice any player with a massive number of kills. Maybe 3 at the most.

As for the one in ten games. The changes I noticed were positive. People on VOIP asking if anyone needed a kill before they killed the last couple of mechs. Also players who already had a kill calling out enemy mechs with critical damage.

The best sportsmanship I saw was two light mechs who found the last mech (DC) and instead of just killing it (which happens every time in a non-challenge game), they farmed it for damage. Then stood there. Didn't even disconnect. Whilst an assault pilot who needed the kill walked most of the way across Tourmaline to claim the kill. Took him the better part of two minutes. Anyone could of stolen that kill in that time but no one did.

So I don't know where these troll players are that ruined your challenge experience, but over two solid days playing I never saw a single one.

More challenges please PGI. They're great. :D

#2 sneeking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:35 AM

Your sunday is my monday I get a day less have to go to work, thats my only complaint.

Edited by sneeking, 01 March 2015 - 04:36 AM.

#3 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:37 AM

That's actually a reasonable complaint Sneeking.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:40 AM

Meh. For one guy who is ok with the challenge, there is another guy who had free time yet chose not to play. That's not ideal scenario for PGI. The challenge requirements need to be looked at--as debated in many threads below.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:44 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 01 March 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

Meh. For one guy who is ok with the challenge, there is another guy who had free time yet chose not to play. That's not ideal scenario for PGI. The challenge requirements need to be looked at--as debated in many threads below.

That is to be expected though El. PGI will never make everyone happy. No matter what the challenge requirements are someone will be mad..
I only want 3 days of premium time. The Consumables are... a waste of effort for me as I don't use them, and as a Spheroid, I will only sell the Adder. But the killing and being killed. That's fun worth having!

#6 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:52 AM

In the rewards scale I wish the colour was before the adder, like some others id only sell it and already have about 17 empty bays anyway.

Its not likely there will be enough time to get that far regardless due to my timezone.

#7 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:00 AM

Couldn't care less about the Adder. Even if they were giving away three Maulers and a hero mech I wouldn't spend my entire weekend grinding my face into the keyboard and crying softly to qualify for them. It is beyond my comprehension that people would do so rather than having fun.

#8 Piney II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:12 AM

I played some great matches this weekend without any intent to take on the challenge. I didn't encounter any tournament fever stupidity and actually saw a few callouts of critted mechs for players that needed the kills.

I already own the Adders, but the premium time is always nice. :D

Edited by Piney, 01 March 2015 - 05:12 AM.

#9 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:27 AM

I played a couple of hours that I would play anyway and got most of the games on premium time. That was nice, but I wouldn't play any extra games for the sake of the event. The consumables are completely worthless and a single light mech that I don't want to buy two variants of is only worth the sale price in C-bills, which doesn't tempt me to reserve an extra 8-10 hours of my valuable time for it.

I would have thought anyone who loves the game enough to spend whole days playing would already have Adders anyway.

#10 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:41 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 01 March 2015 - 04:44 AM, said:

That is to be expected though El. PGI will never make everyone happy. No matter what the challenge requirements are someone will be mad..
I only want 3 days of premium time. The Consumables are... a waste of effort for me as I don't use them, and as a Spheroid, I will only sell the Adder. But the killing and being killed. That's fun worth having!

Sorry Joe, but this time I cannot agree with you.

Rules can direct play style. In BT and mw, teamplay is a must to WIN.

Erasing the "win" requirement, PGI let (and seem to suggest) players to play without any "concept" of teamplay.

#11 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:45 AM

Just poorly thought out overall. I can do high dam and multiple assists with high score in a match and not get anything. The way to play this is quick get a kill , pop an assist then disco. Seeing it in many matches.

#12 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:49 AM

The playing behaviour isn't that different imo. However, in one match it was apparent that people witheld and blatantly waited till the target was near death and then "stole" kills. That angered me simply because it was so obvious.

One thing, though, shows that it is contest weekend. I mostly see LRM boats or laser vomitters. Perferably mechs with big alphas.

Actually this shows what's wrong with the weapon systems in the game.

#13 Armorine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:57 AM

I've really enjoyed the event. I'm with the op on this one. The game plays been great, some of the best battles I've had have been in the last 24 hours. Every one seems to be a little more frenzied and brave then usual. No more ramp camping on terra therma. Been nothing but charge, charge, charge!

#14 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:01 AM

View PostArmorine, on 01 March 2015 - 05:57 AM, said:

I've really enjoyed the event. I'm with the op on this one. The game plays been great, some of the best battles I've had have been in the last 24 hours. Every one seems to be a little more frenzied and brave then usual. No more ramp camping on terra therma. Been nothing but charge, charge, charge!

Agreed. I've been is some heart pounding matches this weekend that were major fun! :D

#15 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:04 AM

I agree, I'm not seeing the toxicity that people are complaining about. I had several matches where people let others get their needed kill etc.

#16 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:10 AM

View PostArmorine, on 01 March 2015 - 05:57 AM, said:

Always charge even when it has no sense.
CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaRGE, a scratch, a kill, and... who cares about the win?

Sorry, but, no.
Win requirement, please.

#17 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:16 AM

I guess I've just been unlucky with my games this weekend.

Saw and heard horrible things. I'm happy that not all games were like that.

However I stand my ground: this formula (kills+very limited time window) promotes toxic gameplay.

Sometimes it will happen, sometimes (luckly) it won't.

Last event, I had a lot of good, fun games, and managed to get my hands on the Raven, regardless of the infamous win requirment. Lots of people were sharing kills.

But I also saw toxic gameplay. I've seen it this time too, and I think that it's a very wrong trend.

The fact that the event promotes being an ***hole is a bad thing, and should be looked into.

Edited by TheCharlatan, 01 March 2015 - 06:29 AM.

#18 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:21 AM

Why not just go with match score?

1000 points for tier 1, 2000 for tier 2, and so on.

#19 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:37 AM

View Poststjobe, on 01 March 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

Why not just go with match score?

1000 points for tier 1, 2000 for tier 2, and so on.

Being able to get multiple points per match would help quite a bit for the grind.

I didn't notice too much bad behaviour. A couple more suicides than usual, but I think I only saw a single TK. Though, one guy did call me a Bad because I used a FireStarter. I found it funny his DoomCrow performed half as well.

#20 RobarGK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 183 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:50 AM

As others have said, it kinda sucks that these events are always on the weekend if you don't have the weekend off and don't have free time for it. I think it would be a pretty solid improvement if there were similar challenges through the week, maybe with a different variant or something. That way you avoid the risk of making any one challenge so long that everyone gets the reward regardless of effort, but everyone gets a chance to play during their own free time.
That said, I did get to play a small bit, just enough to get the premium time. I already have the main reward, as well as the last few, so I just played as normal, and as far as I saw the only change in how people played was asking who wanted the last kill on a roll. If anything I'd say it brings more people to pug matches, both veteran who only play with there own groups normally and new players who aren't yet sure about the game but are willing to give it more of a try with a prize hanging in front of them that's attainable without mastering the game.
All in all, I'd say the challenge is a good thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users