#21 ColdPsyker1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

View Postmark v92, on 23 February 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

how hard can MASC be to implement.

give the mech a 20-25% speed boost when using it.
set max speed at 170 no matter the engine.
give warning in mechlab if you use an engine with masc that will normaly exceed 170km/h when boosting.

example:

engine speed: 150kp/h
with masc speed: 187.5 (25% boost)
mechlab warning: this engine with masc boost exceeds 170kp/h. your speed while boosting is capped at 170km/h

done

That makes too much sense though :D

Seriously though, how hard would it be to put in some sort of "sprint" bar, like every other game has done since forever

Edited by ColdPsyker1, 23 February 2015 - 05:29 PM.

#22 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

View Postmark v92, on 23 February 2015 - 04:41 PM, said:

yes max engine. stock engine goes 97kp/h, 117 with masc.
my reply was for general masc but also fits the flea.
it was to 'fix' the masc exceeding speed cap.

as ive said. 169kp/h flea doesnt need masc. because its capped at 170 but using a smaller engine in it with masc can be usefull. Now you atleast have a choice on using masc or not instead of scrapping most mechs which carry masc stock.

I like this. Use a smaller engine with MASC or a large engine without. It's a choice of more free tonnage and lower sustained speed with the MASC burst...or less free tonnage and higher sustained speed without the MASC burst.

#23 Corbon Zackery

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

Russ stated in a Town hall meeting the Flea was dead. We didn't need a 2nd little guy running around. I have also asked them in the past to release the version of the Flea that has no masc just to fulfill the promise.

The speed restrictions do not allow a mech to go past 160 kph.

I expect Masc to work like gogo juice from a nitro bottle. Like a jump jet you hold down a key and gogo boom. Once the bottle is empty you can't gogo boom.

While you are nitro boosted leg damage is increased due to negative falls or jumps.

As far as damage to legs a simple green yellow red single bar. Green no damage yellow use minor damage. Red use with caution.

In most TT games were I have used masc its never been that helpful. I do hold the TT record of sliding a mech through 10 hexes since I was at max move and had to turn one hex of pavement resulting in a 16 hex slide do to a 4 pilot check. the 30 ton mech went through 2 light buildings, and smacked into a gauss turret utterly annihilating it. The mech lost its LA LT critical head damage and LL the pilot was knocked unconscious.

Edited by Corbon Zackery, 23 February 2015 - 09:28 PM.

#24 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:34 PM

View Postmark v92, on 23 February 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

how hard can MASC be to implement.

give the mech a 20-25% speed boost when using it.
set max speed at 170 no matter the engine.
give warning in mechlab if you use an engine with masc that will normaly exceed 170km/h when boosting.

example:

engine speed: 150kp/h
with masc speed: 187.5 (25% boost)
mechlab warning: this engine with masc boost exceeds 170kp/h. your speed while boosting is capped at 170km/h

done

What's fun is that as we go further into the timeline, we'll see units that can exceed the 200kph barrier even without MASC.

MWO will be unable to add those as well. MWO cannot handle the blue hedgehogs of Battletech, thus we shall never truly get to gotta go fast. So no, no Flea.

#25 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

Ok then so can some one rip the bars out of my Locust cockpit please?

#26 Product9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts
  • LocationDenial

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:40 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 February 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

Don't grab on to MASC as some great hope for things.... we don't know how it will be implemented but using it for any length of time is supposed to lead to dire catastrophic failure of the legs. Could be useful for larger mechs needing a boost... but Light Mechs, especially 20 tonners mostly need to be at max speed ALL the time. MASC is not the answer for that.

That's what makes it interesting. Having MASC as an asset that can't be used liberally leads to the creation of new, potentially innovative tactics. It may not fit the meta, and it may not fit what is in the lore, but it may make for a better game, and that's all I care about.

#27 CycKath

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,580 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:04 PM

But...

But they PROMISED!

*runs off wailing, tears streaming from his eyes*

#28 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:06 PM

maybe someone could convince them to release a variant for the Locust that looks like the Flea.

#29 Fooooo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSydney, Aus.

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:02 AM

View Postwanderer, on 23 February 2015 - 07:34 PM, said:

What's fun is that as we go further into the timeline, we'll see units that can exceed the 200kph barrier even without MASC. MWO will be unable to add those as well. MWO cannot handle the blue hedgehogs of Battletech, thus we shall never truly get to gotta go fast. So no, no Flea.

It can, but to do so would require everything to be rescaled. everything.

Then speed or the display of what speed your doing is faked or "scaled".

IE instead of using massive size terrains, you can use small size terrains if you scaled everything down a ton to match.

In essence everything would be the same bar the footprint of everything and the speeds the mechs do.

You could make a mech look and feel like its doing 400km/h, even when if scaled to what we have now its only 150km/h if you get me.

Alas your right tho, at least imo, its highly unlikely they will go through that or re-doing all the movement and network code to work with high speed MASC mechs.

I think the best we can hope for is maybe masc increasing accel on lights like the flea ??

Edited by Fooooo, 24 February 2015 - 03:03 AM.

#30 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:04 AM

Forget about the Flea!

Just get an Urbanmech with MASC and do about 50kph. Close enough :)

#31 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:18 AM

View PostTarogato, on 23 February 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

"The Flea is dead to me."

- Russ Bullock, Town Hall Meeting, 19 February, 2015.

So is MWLL, but people still love it and play it. Maybe someday, PGI will unf*** their game enough to allow really fast mechs, and the Flea/Firemoth fans will have their wish granted.

Here is hoping you guys can enjoy your Flea someday.

EDIT: Not disagreeing with you, btw; just putting in my comments from the peanut gallery.

Edited by Aethon, 24 February 2015 - 03:19 AM.

#32 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:41 AM

Yeah, I still don't understand when apparently PGI said "Cry Engine 3 only capable of running things up to 150kph with hitdetection" and they had to actually do some under the hood work to it to get it working at 170kph.

Yet in other cry games... I thought there were vehicles and jets, and they work fine? Like ... w0t. 0_o

Sadpanda.

#33 Senor Cataclysmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:15 AM

I know basically nothing about programming and games design, can anyone explain (in lay terms) why the game can't handle 170kph, it seems... well... arbitrary. I just assumed you could make anything as fast as you liked... and dont some projectiles travel faster than that?

#34 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:25 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 23 February 2015 - 03:24 PM, said:

take note: masc is only on the medium mech and the assault mech, but not the light mech. The Shadow Cat is the lightest MASC equipped mech. Those lots of caveats they mentioned probably include not being able to put masc on light mechs. Cryengine does NOT like speeds above 170 kph.

They included the arctic cheetah instead of the firemoth, they absolutely did that for a reason.

You know. Back in the late 90's I was playing games that were cool with 32 a side, and a billion kph, and hit reg that worked.

If the engines the problem, fix it.

#35 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:22 AM

The Flea deserves to be in the game. With Quirks, they can make it unique from the Locust.

#36 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:33 AM

View PostTarogato, on 24 February 2015 - 04:41 AM, said:

Yeah, I still don't understand when apparently PGI said "Cry Engine 3 only capable of running things up to 150kph with hitdetection" and they had to actually do some under the hood work to it to get it working at 170kph.

Yet in other cry games... I thought there were vehicles and jets, and they work fine? Like ... w0t. 0_o

Sadpanda.

There are indeed hit detection issues when things move really fast, and it's not isolated to cryengine. LL implemented MASC, and have faster vehicles, period, but the hit detection suffers for it.

I believe aerotech, to this day, retain their extremely wonky hit detection and limited invulnerability.

#37 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:37 AM

I can fix MASC!

Drop the relative speeds overall so MASC is the new ceiling. :D

#38 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

What would happen if they scaled only the largest maps 15% smaller assuming that only the big maps would be effected? Would that work or how would they have to rescale to keep the speeds true? :huh:

#39 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:03 AM

View PostEcrof, on 24 February 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

What would happen if they scaled only the largest maps 15% smaller assuming that only the big maps would be effected? Would that work or how would they have to rescale to keep the speeds true? :huh:

its not speed breaking the maps, its speed breaking the engine.

#40 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:32 PM

View PostBrody319, on 24 February 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

its not speed breaking the maps, its speed breaking the engine.

And it's not the engine so much as their coding. The engine can do it......

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users