Battlemech 16: Flea!

54 replies to this topic

#41 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

"The dead to me." - Russ Bullock, Town Hall Meeting, 19 February, 2015.

Good. The Flea ruined MW Mercs because the game engine couldn't handle the speed-induced ndb

You think the FS has hit-reg issues? Multiply that by 10.

#42 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

View PostEcrof, on 23 February 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

Ok then so can some one rip the bars out of my Locust cockpit please?

I agree with this completely for the Locust-1V(P)

#43 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

View PostFooooo, on 24 February 2015 - 03:02 AM, said:

It can, but to do so would require everything to be rescaled. everything.

Then speed or the display of what speed your doing is faked or "scaled".

IE instead of using massive size terrains, you can use small size terrains if you scaled everything down a ton to match.

In essence everything would be the same bar the footprint of everything and the speeds the mechs do.

You could make a mech look and feel like its doing 400km/h, even when if scaled to what we have now its only 150km/h if you get me.

Alas your right tho, at least imo, its highly unlikely they will go through that or re-doing all the movement and network code to work with high speed MASC mechs.

I think the best we can hope for is maybe masc increasing accel on lights like the flea ??

while this would work. they had to do this before they made every map and mech.
in 3d you cant simply scale everything without breaking a lot of stuff. (hitbox, animations, etc)
if you want to do this now you would have to do it manualy for every poly and adjust every hitbox and animantion to it.
also keep in mind you have to adjust things like water waves, smoke, weather, textures.

would be interested to see how big a mech is next to a standart sized cry engine character

#44 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:06 PM

flea is not a locust reskin, its similar to its size and tonnage but thats about it. The locust has center torso that sticks out like a jenner, the flea however appears to not have that. The flea looks like it has 2 big side torsos not to mention its higher mounted arms then the locust. I for one would like to see the flea even without masc just for the fun of piloting it.

#45 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

View Postmark v92, on 24 February 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

would be interested to see how big a mech is next to a standart sized cry engine character

I seem to recall reading somewhere back in the pre-release days that PGI made some wonky scaling to make the 'mechs be like characters instead of vehicles as regards the CryEngine code.

I have no idea if that means they're the same size as a standard CryEngine human and everything else miniature-sized, or if they're blown up to the 14-18 meters they're supposed to be - and no idea if either is what's breaking the engine at 170+ kph.

Perhaps it's just HSR that can't cope with those speeds, heaven knows it's wonky enough even with speeds in the 50-60 kph range.

Edit: Oh, and the Flea? Bring it on. Variety is the spice of life, after all.

Edited by stjobe, 24 February 2015 - 02:46 PM.

#46 L3mming2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 07:23 PM

View Postmark v92, on 24 February 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

while this would work. they had to do this before they made every map and mech.
in 3d you cant simply scale everything without breaking a lot of stuff. (hitbox, animations, etc)
if you want to do this now you would have to do it manualy for every poly and adjust every hitbox and animantion to it.
also keep in mind you have to adjust things like water waves, smoke, weather, textures.

i cant belive it, did they realy think "hey mechs are 10+m high lets make them so even do the game engine we use is optimised for things less then 1/5 of that hight"

#47 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:13 PM

View PostL3mming2, on 24 February 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

i cant belive it, did they realy think "hey mechs are 10+m high lets make them so even do the game engine we use is optimised for things less then 1/5 of that hight"

in pgi's defence, it might be easier to do that than to change standart cry engine smoke/water/atmosphere/whatever to make the scale fit.

just opend the cataphract in 3ds max. if all the units are correct the phract is just over 15meters tall.
still this might be incorrect.

for me ingame it feels like 2x the height of a character.
would have guessed the spider being just a bit taller than a character.

#48 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:54 AM

View Postmark v92, on 24 February 2015 - 08:13 PM, said:

in pgi's defence, it might be easier to do that than to change standart cry engine smoke/water/atmosphere/whatever to make the scale fit.

just opend the cataphract in 3ds max. if all the units are correct the phract is just over 15meters tall.
still this might be incorrect.

for me ingame it feels like 2x the height of a character.
would have guessed the spider being just a bit taller than a character.

And technically, 15m is waaaaaay too tall as well. There is a reference in a book that the Victor is one of the tallest at 14m (and taller than the Atlas too).

#49 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:39 AM

I bet scaling is easier than net code and if they had put as much time into re scaling instead of fixing the net code they would be done scaling by now.

#50 mark v92

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 441 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:06 PM

View Postcdlord, on 25 February 2015 - 05:54 AM, said:

And technically, 15m is waaaaaay too tall as well. There is a reference in a book that the Victor is one of the tallest at 14m (and taller than the Atlas too).

yeah. thats why i said it might be wrong. but thats the closest thing i got out of it. 1,5m seems to small.
would have expected something like 6 or 8m

#51 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

A mech that was announced as a joke is going to is be released before the flea. <_< There are so many ways masc could be implemented and a lot of ways to separate the Flea from the Locust.
Runs away crying :*(

Edited by Ecrof, 10 March 2015 - 05:13 PM.

#52 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:59 PM

The problem, as stated, is the main ways to implement MASC, mean the Flea would break the game (as covered in this thread).

Once we know how MASC is actually going to be, or how it is implemented, we can feasibly reopen discussion on what would and wouldn't make the Flea mechanically viable, if at all, in a way though would prevent the engine from crying itself to sleep.

Edited by Ovion, 10 March 2015 - 05:01 PM.

#53 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostOvion, on 10 March 2015 - 04:59 PM, said:

The problem, as stated, is the main ways to implement MASC, mean the Flea would break the game (as covered in this thread).

Once we know how MASC is actually going to be, or how it is implemented, we can feasibly reopen discussion on what would and wouldn't make the Flea mechanically viable, if at all, in a way though would prevent the engine from crying itself to sleep.

Do the devs need help coming up with ways to implement masc? Are they really that inept? The forum has had many good suggestions. I'm guessing you wan't a list of them. :rolleyes:

Edited by Ecrof, 10 March 2015 - 05:13 PM.

#54 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

The Flea was notorious in MW4 for its rampant ndb. Game engine could not handle the speed. It ruined the CTF ladder at MWL. So we stomped it to death, cut off its head, laced it with garlic, salted the ground, then nuked the spot from orbit just to be sure :)

No Fleas.

#55 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:29 PM

You are always on my mind
Here you will find my thoughts, outlined
You are my eternal sunshine
Especially for you I created this rhyme

Flea, you are unbelievably beautiful
You deserve world's largest jewel
The moment I saw you my heart was sold