Making The New Member Grind Easier

5 replies to this topic

#1 OblivionSK

• Pip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 19 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationIn Davion space, looking for bushwackers.

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

I have a suggestion to make the new member grind less stressful and reap a better (but fair) reward so that when this game is released on steam it keeps a higher percentage of people.

In place of, or with a cadet bonus a new player should be able to play any mech in the store except for MC only variants and at the end of 25 matches they should be able to select their favorite and receive 3 non-mc only variants of the mech. Either by their own choosing or by a pre-selected mech bundle.

This will allow a player to instantly have the potential to master a mech chassis and to be able to run an effective build with friends or a group a lot sooner than now. This will also make the start of the game less painful and a better new player experience.

#2 Grimolfr

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTerran Republic

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

I've never noticed a significant jump in performance between a mastered mech and a basic mech (though the change is noticeable, it's not greatly so).

To make an alternate suggestion: instead of 1 mech variant bundle, instead I propose 1 mech of each weight class (light, medium, heavy, assault) or, if that'd hurt the game economy too much, 1 mech of their choosing, as long as it's a c-bill purchasable variant.

If the coding is the issue, why not put reward mechs into the cadet awards, 1 of each weight class, in order to allow the newer players to get on their feet a little faster. I do not think the grind should be easier than that though. As it currently stands, it's set up to feed c-bills in the form of achievements at a steady pace to encourage new players through the learning curve. The total amount from the cadet bonuses is enough to buy a mech, and depending on the mech customize it. If anything, the tutorial needs reworked desperately (and AI needs to be implimented to make it more meaningful and thorough.)

#3 OblivionSK

• Pip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:51 PM

View PostGrimolfr, on 11 February 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

I've never noticed a significant jump in performance between a mastered mech and a basic mech (though the change is noticeable, it's not greatly so).

To make an alternate suggestion: instead of 1 mech variant bundle, instead I propose 1 mech of each weight class (light, medium, heavy, assault) or, if that'd hurt the game economy too much, 1 mech of their choosing, as long as it's a c-bill purchasable variant.

If the coding is the issue, why not put reward mechs into the cadet awards, 1 of each weight class, in order to allow the newer players to get on their feet a little faster. I do not think the grind should be easier than that though. As it currently stands, it's set up to feed c-bills in the form of achievements at a steady pace to encourage new players through the learning curve. The total amount from the cadet bonuses is enough to buy a mech, and depending on the mech customize it. If anything, the tutorial needs reworked desperately (and AI needs to be implimented to make it more meaningful and thorough.)

the issue with that would be, in doing that you have just filled all free mechbays with mechs they can't get past basic, and so are just trial mechs with bad loadouts.

#4 Grimolfr

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTerran Republic

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:45 PM

I see your point, but would adding reward bays be out of the question as well? Say cadet bonus 5 gives you a mech bay, 10 gives you a mech (as a hypothetical).

In either case, they're more than just trial mechs, because they are able to change the loadouts with these mechs, or they could even sell them.

#5 OblivionSK

• Pip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:42 PM

you can already get mech bays on holidays and such, but thats not the point. the player should be able to receive the ability to maximize their game-play right away. Receiving 3 mechs of a chassis of your choice is the best soultion to get the new player base to stick with the game, and that will be a major issue that needs to be fixed before the steam release

#6 OblivionSK

• Pip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 March 2015 - 06:08 PM

With the high cost to outfit and fully grind out a chassis getting the stock mech for free could "jumpstart" people and new people could join units and such and said units could direct them to a good starter mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users