53 replies to this topic

#41 Kristov Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:59 AM

Simple fix to the problem...

Design the bases as the REAL military would.

That means a kill zone outside the walls that is flat, level and has no hiding places for at least 1km out. Mines planted throughout that kill zone, IFF based mines that don't get set off by pressure/vibration, so friendlies don't worry and enemies get to spend precious time clearing out access lanes through the mines(you can shoot them if you can figure out where they are, that information will be known by the 3rd or 4th drop of any given map), WHILE being under the guns of the defenders.

Seriously, no military with a clue would build bases the way PGI has them in CW, it's beyond stupid. This is NOT some new fangled modern concept either, the Roman Legions did it all over Europe, Africa and the Persian Gulf over 2000 years ago for pity's sake. The Legions would chop down every tree within bowshot range and clear the area around their camps EVERY SINGLE NIGHT ON A MARCH! They would put up walls of those felled trees, as well as digging a trench around those walls and putting spikes in them. Come ON PGI, this is NOT rocket surgery or brain science, it's basic military practice 101 for thousands of years now.

3050 here, I''m pretty sure they can clear the surrounding terrain and flatten it out for 1km out without too much problem. Go look at some of the BTech packs FASA put out, they at least understood that much of the basics, base assaults in PnP were best done via infiltration and sabotage methods, frontal assaults were always very expensive in Mechs and pilots, and they took a long time usually, seriously, did you guys at PGI NOT read a single BTech novel that had this in them? It's only a recurring theme in the novels and the timeline itself.

#42 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:21 AM

View PostKristov Kerensky, on 26 February 2015 - 08:59 AM, said:

Simple fix to the problem...

Design the bases as the REAL military would.

That means a kill zone outside the walls that is flat, level and has no hiding places for at least 1km out. Mines planted throughout that kill zone, IFF based mines that don't get set off by pressure/vibration, so friendlies don't worry and enemies get to spend precious time clearing out access lanes through the mines(you can shoot them if you can figure out where they are, that information will be known by the 3rd or 4th drop of any given map), WHILE being under the guns of the defenders.

Yes. Though I wouldn't go quite so far due drops having equal numbers. But the walls should always have to be fought over. Think removing the gate generator and having the gates open after they take enough damage would also help in design changes.

#43 DaangeroussDann

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:25 PM

View PostTexAss, on 24 February 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

10xAC20s, 15MLs, 10xSRM6 and 12xSSRM2 for the dropships

case closed.

YES,, short range weapons that have enough punch to finish off any clanner stupid enough to try and farm spawn, but that is still not good enough with the clan ERLL, they will just stand back a bit. The drops need to be moved away from the objective and given gauss. or lots of large lasers. This spawn farming should never be allowed, its very bad for the game and first impressions of WMO to new players. Fix this.

#44 DaangeroussDann

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:29 PM

View PostHARDKOR, on 24 February 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

Even when I try not to start the spawn killing, someone always starts lurming from spawn, and then it starts. If you start shooting from your spawn or standing right in front it and are shooting at me, I'm going to go over there and kill you until you die for good.

This is simply fantasy, so untrue and ,, well ,, maybe not you personally (yeah right) but all clanners spawn camp and do not finish off OMega on purpose, stop the lies . All you have to do is alpha Omega and no more spawn camping,, you won,, so how can you sit here talking this trash?

#45 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:46 PM

This is more of a map design problem... you need multiple layers of spawn points...

When i drop command i always make it a point not to aggressively push a spawn point and give pugs some breathing room.

i play in late oceanic early eu timezone so i tend to treat opfor pugs nicely because you dont want to be playing ghost drops the whole night.

As long as you aren't shooting them immediately as they land its not spawn camping

View PostDaangeroussDann, on 05 March 2015 - 08:25 PM, said:

YES,, short range weapons that have enough punch to finish off any clanner stupid enough to try and farm spawn, but that is still not good enough with the clan ERLL, they will just stand back a bit. The drops need to be moved away from the objective and given gauss. or lots of large lasers. This spawn farming should never be allowed, its very bad for the game and first impressions of WMO to new players. Fix this.

New players should be warned before dropping in CW... it is a very humbling experience that would be the quickest implementation that devs can do

#46 Armorine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:55 PM

Im all for arming the dropships. They wouldn't drop in somewhere they are gonna get attacked. They sure as he'll wouldn't drop in unarmed.

#47 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:14 PM

When I'm dropping in a 12-man and we end up facing a team of disorganized pugs, I almost always tell my team to:
1. Not use arty/air strikes.
2. Give spawning mechs a head start of 5-10s. We won't fire unless they still haven't moved or they've engaged one of us.

Generally the result happens either of 2 ways:
1. The enemy team gets more aggressive and puts up a good fight.
2. The enemy team goes into hiding and refuses to come out.

If it's the former, we'll honor our rules and give them a good match. If it's the latter, we'll begin spawn camping and using artillery for the purposes of getting the game over sooner.

It's truly one of those, "nobody wins," kind of situations. You give the enemy team a chance to spawn and there's a player yelling at you for drawing the game out. You do a gen/omega rush and there's a player yelling at you for wasting their time. You spawn camp and there's a player yelling at you for spawn camping.

#48 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 05 March 2015 - 11:25 PM

Waiting times in CW are so long that you have to make the most of every match. That means killing each and every enemy out there. Besides, new players in Clan trial mechs are just begging to be put out of their misery.

#49 Jaroth Corbett

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationSmoke Jaguar OZ

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:37 AM

View PostHellen Wheels, on 25 February 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

Spawn campers are a special breed of ****. That's why they are reviled in every game.

It is a valid tactic. You need to prevent it from happening.

#50 Kensaisama

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 430 posts
  • LocationRedford, Michigan

Posted 10 March 2015 - 11:44 AM

Park a couple Union class dropships in the attackers LZ and have the attackers spawn inside the dropship, The attackers will disembarking to continue the assault. That will take care of any pesky would be spawn campers, if they get to close the dropships will light em up like a gas infused bonfire.

Looks like it was somewhat stated already, guess I'm just reiterating it ;)

Edited by Kensaisama, 10 March 2015 - 11:49 AM.

#51 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

CW is still happening? As far as ingame chat goes no one plays group or CW anymore.

#52 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hmm...I got my game name (That Guy) by spawn camping in the original Call of Duty game. There was one small dark room on the other side of one of the maps where the enemy would spawn. I found that I could clean up if I ran in there with a shotgun and just ran around. After a bit their whole team would be in there in a giant mass of chaos shooting each other trying to get me. It was a rush with all that shooting going on. There were always a lot of "that guy" comments, so I changed my name to that. :)
Ya...not cool. But it's not quite the same deal as here in CW. They did have me out numbered, and could kill me quite easily in COD.

I haven't played CW since the last challenge in Dec...until this weekend for this event. Got spawn camped a few times. Was not fun. Generally they would push in with all assaults in the first wave, and then just sit on the spawn point. The dropships didn't seem to be doing much to them. But any they lost were replaced with other heavy+ mechs.

I switched to fast brawlers to try and deal with this. And although I could often get top or close to the top for damage, it was still annoying. Many of the PUGs would just give up. Can't really say that I blame them. Although I preferred to charge in and do some damage and chaos ... never know when it might be enough to allow enough guys to drop and change the balance. plus it helped me to burn off some of my annoyance.

I was playing Clan.

The best change might be to have it so 12-mans go up against only 12-mans (or 6-man groups and up). And PUGs against PUGs (including anything less than a 6-man). Or something ELO related. That may keep it balanced and challenging enough for everyone.

Changing the defenses is too static and won't account for the skill of the teams. Make it harder to account for the good 12-man teams and it becomes too hard for the miss-mash of PUGs. Make it too easy, and the 12-mans will roll every time.

As it is, I probably won't be playing CW again except for the odd challenge that requires it. :mellow:

#53 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:29 AM

Here is one solution, which is being used by War Thunder Ground Forces.

When spawned, you have a 10 (or was it 12) second INVINCIBILITY window. Meaning, the mech is invincible, no hits would be registered when shooting at it. However, the mech can shoot back and kill you. After the window is passed, you are normally vulnerable again.

If 10 seconds sounds extreme, the length of the time window can be adjusted.

Edited by Anjian, 16 March 2015 - 08:30 AM.

#54 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostTexAss, on 24 February 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

10xAC20s, 15MLs, 10xSRM6 and 12xSSRM2 for the dropships

case closed.

Wouldn't be any room for a Mech if you had that many guns!

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users