23 replies to this topic

#1 mrLloyd

Rookie

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota, USA

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:11 AM

How're folks using the panther in terms of play style? Strictly as a sniper with the er ppc? Or some other supporting role?

Since picking up the Fire Pack i'm really struggling with being effective with the panther. Some of it is i don't have them mastered, but still was expecting to be somewhat more useful to my teams than i feel like i am now.

For history i'm a casual player, relatively new, first mechs I bought were hunchbacks and have those mastered. So tend to play more brawling/support so far I suppose.

#2 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:23 AM

Ive found they play a lot like the slower clan lights, stick with the big guys when you can. Dont flank alone or you will be declawed quickly. Strike unaware foes and immediately break off contact for newly unaware foes.

#3 Templar04

• Pip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:23 AM

The way I play the Panthers is usually a sniper/support class. I myself am a in your face type of person but with this mech you have to stand off to the side. You have to be patient at times and really pick your battles. When I play with friends we usually run in a team of two and just fire and move to disorient the team, hit and run tactics. I run my panthers as purely energy builds, which makes them vulnerable if they take your right arm. But if you learn to change your style to always protect it and maneuver away from danger you should be fine.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:35 AM

Got one as a jump sniper, another as a triple large laser harasser.

View PostKoniving, on 17 February 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

From Lordred.Posted Image
(Kon mid-air jump sniping for a kill.)

That's my main Panther.

And yes they lasered the crap out of me (hence the bullet hole vomit texture covering my mech). Since it's still running a standard engine I keep 2 armor to the rear, the rest on the front and while it's kinda slow, who cares? I'm usually getting one to three kills. Can't say it's a damage king (the 3 LL one does lots though), but it's effective enough.

Edited by Koniving, 25 February 2015 - 05:36 AM.

#5 cleghorn6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 511 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:42 AM

I had problems running mine stock (I usually try to give every 'mech a couple of games stock and adjust from there) but I stuck a bigger engine in it and found success.

How are you running yours?

#6 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:07 AM

There are 3 and they play slightly differently of course, mostly in their range.
ERPPC, LL, MPL. Long to mid range.
XL250's from the Enforcers, otherwise whatever biggest XL you can scrounge up.
I ignore the missiles and keep range.

They are a corner poker, find a nice corner you can poke out of with right arm. Buildings preferable but obviously take what is available. Ridge humping is unsuccessful, arm loves to clip any hill and face will get shot off.
Peek and shoot. You have good acceleration and deceleration (perks make up for the slower engine) to peek and hide.
Remember lag leaves you exposed longer than you think so be in and out quickly, never linger, if a shot doesnt line up then jump back in and try again a few seconds later.
Can also use teammate as shield and pop out their right side to shoot then hide behind again.

They are not a circling light, dont try and play like that. (people who like the missiles may have different opinion there). Though they do spread the damage well and can survive a while. You should only go into close range circle mode when trapped or last left death charge.
Corner peek, back up when enemy getting too close or if a Firestarter is coming for you.

Protect the arm, game over if that goes (only lost it 3 times mastering over challenge, pretty robust but kepp it facing away from fire)

Stay near the team, dont go sniping off alone like an ECM Raven.
Think of Panther as more of a small quick and maneuverable medium sniper.

#7 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:12 AM

I use them as short range harassers and do alright with them. XL250 and then either MLs or MPLs, together with as many SRM4s as I have slots for. I've had 3 kills with my 2 ML 2 SRM4 2 AMS Panther, though I'm contemplating dropping the AMS and upgrading to MPLs. Both other versions use MPLs. Strike for on or two salvoes and then get out again. Preferably hit slower mechs so you can get away easier though the 4-6 jumpjets help. And make good use of that left shield arm of course.

#8 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:43 AM

Mostly as range support and lance defender.
PNT-10K
PNT-8Z
PNT-9R

#9 mrLloyd

Rookie

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNorth Dakota, USA

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated plenty there for me to think on. Right now i've only modified the 10k, the others are stock. Currently have just modified using some leftovers from hunchbacks for the most part.

PNT-10K

Not a final build by any means, but accumulating c-bills takes some time for me. Am working towards decent XL engine in it and the others.

So far just pug matches in my MWO Career too, might be different if was grouping.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:13 AM

I have been doing OK with the ERPPC and ASRM4 on the 10K(I) varient, I removed the JJs upgraded the engine to an XL250 and added more heatsinks, I find it works fine as a skirmisher and the longer reach of the ERPPC means you can also sinpe, just do not go off on your own or dogfignt other lights

#11 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:56 AM

It is funny; I'm using the ERPPC Panther as my platform to learn how to jump snipe and it's way easier than I thought it would be. Back when it was the meta, people used to rant about skill left and right, but it's apparently not that hard. Yes, I know I'm way behind the curve since this is the first mech I've put JJ's on, and yes I know it's probably not optimal to be slow like that, but it is turning out to be my favorite Panther so far. I like it much more than the ones I just spam MPLs and SRMs on.

#12 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:43 PM

i have had my highest damage rounds in the 9r with 4mpl and srm6 (1 ton ammo), xl250 from the enforcer. use the JJs and basically hang with the more aggressive mechs and chain fire the mpls when hot. yep just a basic laser vomit light.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...20994e6c72dd27d

painted pink, of course

Posted Image

if you can circle CCW and keep that left arm toward the reds...

what i call a super stock 10K as it just basically has upgrades and a big engine. i tend to run most of my mechs "super stock"

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...09dcef9929bf1e3

as stated this is a corner sniper that best stay close to the group or you will be out gunned by anything that can catch you. drop in an ERPPC mod and it does nice damage out to 1000m and beyond. anything with ecm will hate you. toward the end game or if caught the srm4a remove low armor pieces. this not a mech for those without patience...

Edited by loopala, 25 February 2015 - 05:46 PM.

#13 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:55 PM

Unfortunately, the 10k is about useless. Ran it with an ERPPC and 2x SRM4's while I was basicing it, haven't touched it since.

The 9R is probably the best of the bunch. Run it with just a pair of PPC's as a pop sniper, also done 4MPL type builds which also work fairly well (though at that point you're better off taking a firestarter/jenner).

The 8Z is decent with 2-3 large lasers.

Anyways, like I said, the 9R with a pair of PPC's is my current favorite. While it might not be the biggest alpha its small size almost guarantees favorable trades if you do it right. It can also really clutch a game provided there are no lights remaining on the enemy team, which is nice.

#14 Hospy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:59 PM

I run it as a jump sniper, works decently enough at it.

#15 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:05 PM

View Postloopala, on 25 February 2015 - 05:43 PM, said:

i have had my highest damage rounds in the 9r with 4mpl and srm6 (1 ton ammo), xl250 from the enforcer. use the JJs and basically hang with the more aggressive mechs and chain fire the mpls when hot. yep just a basic laser vomit light.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...20994e6c72dd27d

painted pink, of course

Posted Image

if you can circle CCW and keep that left arm toward the reds...

what i call a super stock 10K as it just basically has upgrades and a big engine. i tend to run most of my mechs "super stock"

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...09dcef9929bf1e3

as stated this is a corner sniper that best stay close to the group or you will be out gunned by anything that can catch you. drop in an ERPPC mod and it does nice damage out to 1000m and beyond. anything with ecm will hate you. toward the end game or if caught the srm4a remove low armor pieces. this not a mech for those without patience...

I think you should probably strip the LA before the legs.

#16 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

I'm having a ball in a Standard PNT. I like it when enemy mechs waste time trying to pin my side torsos.
Mlas and missiles, so it's more of a second line skirmisher or ambush mech than a sniper, but it takes a kicking and keeps on ticking.

my PNT-10 is a ERPPC sniper baby and I like it a lot too. Once i get them all mastered, I'm keeping every one.

#17 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:14 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 25 February 2015 - 06:05 PM, said:

I think you should probably strip the LA before the legs.

I am very hesitant to strip my leg armor (I would probably [shudders] drop JJ before that)

But I have yet to have anyone aim for my legs at all.

That arm on the other hand - soaks up a LOT of damage

#18 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:21 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 25 February 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

I am very hesitant to strip my leg armor (I would probably [shudders] drop JJ before that)

But I have yet to have anyone aim for my legs at all.

That arm on the other hand - soaks up a LOT of damage

Why would anyone shoot the LA of a Panther? If you can't see its RA, legs are the only choice.

#19 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 25 February 2015 - 07:21 PM, said:

Why would anyone shoot the LA of a Panther? If you can't see its RA, legs are the only choice.

Same reason they shoot the empty arm on the Centurion. :lol:

Edit:
People keep trying to build for DPS on these
ML...
SL...
MPL...

So they seem to figure they can burn through my shields faster than I can twist and boom.

Edited by Shar Wolf, 25 February 2015 - 07:46 PM.

#20 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:15 PM

here's how i looked at it 3 points off each leg or 6 points off the arm. i take more shots to the arm, but then i twist a lot. so far i lose more legs to fall damage then being shot. to each their own. i also tend to abuse the JJs a bit

if you are looking for an OP replacement for the spider or the fire starter, keep looking this is not it.

looking for something a bit different then the std high dps meta, the panther can be a fun little jump shooter with very good handling. like all mechs love it or hate there an't much in between. besides what do I know i love the jester when i am in the right kind of crazy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users