Movie Makers: Can I Haz Help?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

Hey guys, Im planning to make a short video for my unit, but dont know the best ways to capture footage from MWO. Is fraps still the better option around? I know shift+f11 hides the hud, but any other tip? Which mech is the best to usa as cameraman? Jenner? Also, any way to use a free cam, like spectator mode? Even if it is in training mode.

And just to be sure, if I pump up the graphics settings, and have some fps hiccups, these hiccups would be captured in the video too right?

Thank you everybody :)

#2 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:08 PM

I only know a little bit about this, but I might as well share. :)

Yes, your frame rate will affect your performance recording wise. I recommend a desktop recorder to help save your frame rate like Action! or something like it. I use this one: https://mirillis.com...cts/action.html

Here is a video to let you see the quality of the recording: https://m.youtube.co...h?v=9ZmTgaTU5Kg

That's about all I know, but I definitely recommend Action!.

Edit: I also recommend programs like Sony Vegas and Twixtor. It's up to you to acquire them as they're quite expensive.

Edited by Airmanator, 25 February 2015 - 04:16 PM.

#3 Accused

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 989 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:21 PM

ShadowPlay it then edit with Windows Movie Maker.

All free and easy to do.

#4 Vandul

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,342 posts
  • LocationYork, New

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:33 PM

FRAPS works, but you will need the registered version to remove the watermark. Shadowplay is good.

If you are filming, use the Stalker. Maximum zoom, Shift+F11 to remove the HUD (well it used to be).

Stalker is very smooth without headbob, and the zoom removes any framework from the cockpit.

#5 Weaselball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 670 posts
  • LocationHell's ********, AKA Fresno.

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:35 PM

Shadowplay is amazing if you have an Nvidia card.

#6 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 February 2015 - 04:35 PM

View PostAccused, on 25 February 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

ShadowPlay it then edit with Windows Movie Maker.

All free and easy to do.

I have about 25 gigs of shadowplay footage I am currently trying to edit....movie maker seems to do strange stuff every now and then like lowering the resolution from HD and then I have to start over.

#7 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:00 PM

Both FRAPS and Shadowplay have performance loss if your system is older. I'd recommend having someone with stronger hardware do the recording. Additionally, Windows Movie Maker is very basic and there's not much you can do with it, at least to make it look suave and professional. There're bunches of MWO group vids on YouTube if you want to get a decent idea of what you need, and some even tell you what they use. PlayClaw and Action are way better than FRAPS.

#8 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:09 PM

AMD Gaming Evolved (aka Raptr) if you have an AMD card. Similar to Nvidia's Shadowplay and also free.

I'd suggest recording in 60fps or higher if you want smooth slow motion effects.

#9 Anarcho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 538 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

Thanks guys, for editing I use Premiere and some after effects for blings. I will give Shadowplay a try, never used it before.

I saw some footage of a tournament or match in the past, and the guys had a freecam flying around, showing the match. Any idea how to do it? I lost the link to the video :(

#10 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:55 PM

View PostAirmanator, on 25 February 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

Both FRAPS and Shadowplay have performance loss if your system is older. I'd recommend having someone with stronger hardware do the recording. Additionally, Windows Movie Maker is very basic and there's not much you can do with it, at least to make it look suave and professional. There're bunches of MWO group vids on YouTube if you want to get a decent idea of what you need, and some even tell you what they use. PlayClaw and Action are way better than FRAPS.

I heard FRAPS kills performance but I see zero difference with shadowplay.

#11 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:02 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 25 February 2015 - 06:55 PM, said:

I dont ever notice shadowplay running when i'm recording. its damn good.

#12 Zuri Prime

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 120 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:26 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 25 February 2015 - 06:55 PM, said:

It only consumes about 10% of your total performance according to Nvidia, so it's not completely noticeable unless you have older hardware like the OP stated. Shadowplay was kinda buggy for me, but I recommend Action. It's really good!

#13 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

I use MSI Afterburner.
It's free, works on all brands of cards and has a minimal FPS hit. It also features some nice monitoring features for CPU/ GPU heat and usage, plus allows for overclocking on some cards.

The only edits I normally do are cuts, so Movie Maker works fine for me for basic editing.
You might also want to look into using Handbrake for compressing videos, as FRAPS / MSI both create huge video files for raw footage. This means you go from trying to upload 1GB to YouTube to 50MB.

Edited by Troutmonkey, 25 February 2015 - 07:45 PM.

#14 Xenon Codex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Over the Rainbow

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

View PostAnarcho, on 25 February 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

Thanks guys, for editing I use Premiere and some after effects for blings. I will give Shadowplay a try, never used it before.

I saw some footage of a tournament or match in the past, and the guys had a freecam flying around, showing the match. Any idea how to do it? I lost the link to the video :(

Those free-form cameras were either a special mode sanctioned by PGI for tournaments, or a bug in the system when you reconnected to a match. Unfortunately there's no way to get to those camera modes currently.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users