Splitting Up Energy Slots To End Ghost Heat?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

well i have no idea if it was considered already but...
how about splitting up Energy hardpoints into High and Low Energy Hardpoints?

PGI mentioned that they want to have less boating inside this game.
after the latest quirks and the latest change of large laser ghost heat i seen more and more boats instead of less....
6 large pulse laser banshee-3m as well as 6 large laser stalkers.
really?
less boating intended?

so my thoughts went a bit towards the books and the loadouts of the mechs they normally have...
and barely any mech really boats more than 3 ppc (awesome) or 4 in case of the masakaari but both are really inefficient with this configuration.

3 or even 4 large pulse lasers? cant remember one of them.
4 large lasers? barely any.

now i had the picture of the banshee in my head, the 2 lowest hardpoints beeing the biggest ones visual and the smaller ones up high. it propably was not possible to even mount something bigger than medium lasers there at all because of its internal structure.

now, why dont we make that here? having high energy hardpoints for everything bigger than 1 slot and low energy hardpoints for everything that needs just one slot?

that way PGI can decide how many large lasers etc can be used in a chassis and prevent alot of things to get boated with high alpha energy weapons.
ofc a awesome should be able to mount 3 ppc.
but a banshee? propably not. if you want to boat 7 med lasers well.... alot of sacrifices to be made then.

now of course you should be able to put medium lasers etc into high energy slots as well because if you can mount a large laser somewhere a medium shouldnt be a problem.

that way we could get rid of ghost heat on ac2's etc to make them more viable again.

just about missiles.... maybe someone else got a idea.

if it ever was a technical problem with the current UI and mechlab they have the chance to make it work with the next UI or mechlab changes before its too late.

#2 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 09:28 AM

Might just be me, but if PGI wanted to see less boating or whatever, they shouldn't have introduced these quirks in the first place, or at the very least, made the quirks make sense for the mechs they apply to.

The most popular boats I've seen are small pulse Firestarters, ER or Pulse Stormcrows, and UAC Dires. Seriously, at least every other game I run into a UAC Dire. I've already sworn off playing CW because of how obscenely BROKEN it is, and I'm seriously losing patience with the rest of the game.

If PGI want to reduce the boating epidemic they are going to have to make some seriously drastic changes to how customizing works, namely penalties of some sort, and I think we all know that will end badly.

I'd go so far as to say they need to increase the heat generation of mechs and/or weapons and introduce quirks that favor stock or semi-stock weapon loads like they did with the Panther and Enforcer. They need to make stock loads more attractive somehow because right now the boating epidemic is the logical progression of the min/max gamer mentality.

Boat mechs don't have enough penalties assigned to them and therefore they are the easiest mechs to use in the game, especially those bloody Firestarters. I was on the Snow City map last week sometime with one of my Panthers, the 8Z, I took 2 shots from 2 small pulse Starters, that's one salvo each, and BAM, I'm freaking dead.

I ******* rage-quit at that point because it's just stupid that they should be able to burn through my armor that quickly with such low-damage weapons, and the large pulse laser on my 8Z didn't even scratch their asses.

What PGI needs to do, in my humble opinion, is remove ALL the buffs or nerfs they've done to all weapons in the game and bloody start over. Apply quirks to mechs that favor stock or semi-stock weapon loads and let that simmer for a bit.

As it is I got into this game well after the massive weapon nerfs had happened, but some of the people I play with remember when the Gauss rifles were actually useful. Right now some of them feel like the Gauss rifle is a glorified pea-shooter, when it should be one of the most powerful weapons in the game.

Right now I really believe most people treat this game like it's CoD or something similar, and that leads to a whole slew of other problems.

MWO needs a much heavier focus on strategy, because it's not some fast-paced shoot 'em up.

#3 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:11 AM

firestarters and spiders but panthers as well have massive hitreg problems.
they wouldnt be so annoying if you would hit them according to where you aim.

i just dont think that a battlemech producer would have put 4 large lasers into a quickdraw or 3 large pulse laser into the single arm of a wolverine. imagine how huge the arm must have been....

the problem firestarters always had was that they could mainly load small weapons anyway. how to make it viable at all?
the medium laser firestarters are fine but the 8 small pulse are just off, thats where most can propably agree on.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users