3 replies to this topic

#1 BetaVirus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

In the MW games and books and TT, did the LRM not have the option to turn off the safety and allow them for arm immediately?

I know LRM are nasty and people would be both happy and not so happy to see this; but, i would like to see this feature in MWO.

This would allow for lrm boats to defend them self better. and if you fire too close you damage your self so it works both ways.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 02:58 PM

View PostBetaVirus, on 26 February 2015 - 01:58 PM, said:

In the MW games and books and TT, did the LRM not have the option to turn off the safety and allow them for arm immediately?

I know LRM are nasty and people would be both happy and not so happy to see this; but, i would like to see this feature in MWO.

This would allow for lrm boats to defend them self better. and if you fire too close you damage your self so it works both ways.

It was a custom rule called "Hotloaded LRMs."
Its logic is that your mech acquires the lock, then loads the missiles into the tubes, then fires... and this is why you have accuracy issues within 180 meters. Conversely, Clan mechs always have their missiles loaded into the tubes as they move. The drawback to having them hotloaded however is that a hit to the launcher can cause the missiles loaded into it to explode.

Meanwhile, the original Battletech logic before those rules is that quite simply, all LRMs are fired at a ballistic launch angle (up and over, like a howitzer), and so the missiles would have a hard time trying to turn downward at a target rushing you at close range, thus the LRMs would be relatively ineffective.

At no point in time has BT LRMs ever been depicted as "safeties are on at 180 meters or less."

Honestly I believe LRM boats should have some real weapons on the side to protect themselves with.
At the same time I understand the value of being able to fire at a close range target.

#3 BetaVirus

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:59 PM

ok thank you for the info. i only know a little of the BT history and learn as i can.

#4 A Large Infant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:28 PM

So no Hunt for Red October removing the safeties from the weapons so your own LRMs can come back and kill you? Tupolev is spinning in his murky grave!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users