2 replies to this topic

#1 Iothil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMan-at-Arms' couch...

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

Wouldn't it be awesome if the forum would view Elo/Skill lvl of the pilot? Just as a gimmick for adding a little competition. The problem I found is that in Europe we actually have very good players, lots in fact who had been among the top 10 in various mech challenges so I was wondering about skill rating and direct comparison. I observed that many good players simply do not have the time/need or whatever to compete in such challenges and as the matchmaker (supposedly) uses something like Elo/Skill rating of a pilot to make matches, it shouldn't be that hard to implement a forum feature to show it on the players page. Is it just me being curious about that or do you guys also think that it would be awesome?

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:17 PM

No.

It would turn into a huge epeen waving competition, and one deeply flawed for numerous reasons. The value of people's posts would be judged vs. their Elo rating (as if that had any relation).

Also, Elo is not skill rating, although it does encompass skill. Elo is a rating that represents how much you contribute to team victory (this is often largely unrelated to actual pilot skill).

Your Elo rating is heavily influenced by who you play with and what sorts of games you play, as well.

PUG exclusively, you'll have a much lower Elo than you would if you play in the same group of friends regularly, even if you are a far better pilot. Teamwork is OP, after all. On the other hand, if you play regularly with a group of really poor players, you'll end up with a much lower Elo than you "should" (considering your own personal skill level).

Elo works as a matchmaking tool as well as anything can, but it should absolutely not be shown publicly.

Our matchmaker's flaws are due to player counts at a given rating - it can, after all, only make a match from players who've just recently clicked Play. If there aren't enough players searching for a match at that moment at your rating(be it high or low), there aren't. The MM isn't magic.

#3 Iothil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMan-at-Arms' couch...

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

Sure, sure, I know what you mean, what I meant is not actually a pure overtake of the Elo system into the player page, but something similar? I understand your points about Elo not being the best way to rate Skill, but maybe a new skillrating, a combination of hours played, K/D, W/L would work.

And why would it change peoples view of topics or posts? If something sounds good, try it out, if not, don't, but I'd rather try out e.g. a Mechbuild posted buy a "good" pilot first, get my drift?

So far, what do you see when someone posted? A signature, a faction, maybe a little information. But even the players page does not grant me any quantitative information about a player, which is a shame, because anyone can have 7k+ like and 5k posts by being an obnoxious troll or spammer, so...

And about that epeen stuff... aren't people doing that already with K/D and stuff? Correct me if I am wrong.

But thanks for your opinion on the matter! :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users