- - - - -

How To Know When You Are Targeted.

18 replies to this topic

#1 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:13 PM

This is an easy one, but may have gone unnoticed. Took me a while to figure it out, and maybe should have posted earlier.......

We are all familiar with the critical red flashing light in the cockpit, no doubt. And how it reflects off the cockpit metal framework.

What I have noticed is that in a similar fashion, there is a white flashing light, 3 - 4 flashes. It is quite distinctive, and may require you to focus on looking for it at first. But once you recognise it, you will never forget.

It is a very handy thing to know, and has helped me evade fire many times.

There, that's my bit of top secret tactical information. :ph34r: :(

Seems I am in error.

http://youtu.be/kyro3D8MJJE

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 01 March 2015 - 06:15 PM.

#2 luigi256

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:41 PM

That's pretty neat I never knew that. If you can put a screen shot for people who have no idea what you mean circling what you are talking about I'm sure that would help even more.

Good on you for finding this out.

#3 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:44 PM

I get this with radar derp with an audio cue but not without. I'm assuming we're talking about the same thing?

#4 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:12 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 28 February 2015 - 11:44 PM, said:

I get this with radar derp with an audio cue but not without. I'm assuming we're talking about the same thing?

No Audio cue, and I do not think modules are a factor.

View Postluigi256, on 28 February 2015 - 10:41 PM, said:

That's pretty neat I never knew that. If you can put a screen shot for people who have no idea what you mean circling what you are talking about I'm sure that would help even more.

Good on you for finding this out.

I will try, but am not good at recording ;)

It was in a private match for convenience, it looks like two (2) flashes per spot/target.

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 01 March 2015 - 01:52 AM.

#5 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:49 AM

I think I made a video properly. OP is updated.

#6 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:47 AM

All those drops and I've NEVER noticed this. Good find Dirk!

#7 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

Noticed those flashes but I thought they were graphical glitches lolz.

Good find Dirk and thanks for sharing.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:34 AM

I have never noticed those flashes in over 2 and a half years of playing, I will have to keep a look out for it, ether way I will post an update

edit, it only seems to happen when Radar Deprivation is fitted (and I rarely use it), it seems to happen at about the time the "incoming Missiles" warning goes away, I suspect it is telling me that the Radar Deprivation module has killed a lock (which fits with your video, when the Timber wolf turns away the lights flash), but more testing is required to confirm.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 01 March 2015 - 02:02 PM.

#9 RedlineHunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGPS said I'm here, but I think I'm over there...

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:17 AM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 01 March 2015 - 06:20 AM, said:

Noticed those flashes but I thought they were graphical glitches lolz.

Good find Dirk and thanks for sharing.

Me too! I thought they where light effects that where bleeding into the cockpit. lol

Thanks for the info Dirk.

#10 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

learn something everyday

THX

#11 ColonelProctor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 243 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHorn Lake, Mississippi

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:57 AM

I always figured there was a way to know but never knew what it was. Thanks for this Dirk!

#12 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:44 AM

This is a great find, now, here's the question: Why hasn't PGI made that knowledge more . . . known? I mean, it's a great feature. Did we just miss it in patch notes?

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:47 AM

Back in my day, when dinosaurs were around, we knew EXACTLY when we were targeted.
Quicky (audio added in) for those with a time limit.

Real, in game "Warning! Targeted!" It's worth sitting back and watching. o.O; If nothing else then for the trolling.

(To mention it; the message did not play every time someone pressed R to target you. It played every single time a mech put you in its crosshairs, which of course means if they looked away and back at you or drifted off of you for a second... you'd get that warning again and again... so they took it out. :( )

Second note: Back then MGs did 0.04 damage per bullet, 0.4 damage per second and 4 damage per 10 seconds and had bad hit detection. MGs now? 0.08 damage per bullet, 0.8 damage per second, and 8 damage per 10 seconds (per MG in both cases).

Edited by Koniving, 01 March 2015 - 08:53 AM.

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 28 February 2015 - 10:13 PM, said:

This is an easy one, but may have gone unnoticed. Took me a while to figure it out, and maybe should have posted earlier.......

We are all familiar with the critical red flashing light in the cockpit, no doubt. And how it reflects off the cockpit metal framework.

What I have noticed is that in a similar fashion, there is a white flashing light, 3 - 4 flashes. It is quite distinctive, and may require you to focus on looking for it at first. But once you recognise it, you will never forget.

It is a very handy thing to know, and has helped me evade fire many times.

There, that's my bit of top secret tactical information. :ph34r: :D

http://youtu.be/kyro3D8MJJE

I edited my post above but just to be sure it is not overlooked I think the flashing light is telling you radar deprivation has killed a lock, in your video the lights flashed when the Timber Wolf looked away, it did not happen in several games I tried without Radar Deprivation fitted, but with Radar Deprivation fitted it happens at the same time as "incoming missiles" stops sounding or sometimes if I drop down (which would break line of sight) after being targeted.

that should be easy to test in a private match if necessary

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 01 March 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#15 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

Yep, I was going to come back to say it had something to do with Radar Dep, and that makes sense. It flashes when it kills a lock, not when you are targeted.

#16 M4NTiC0R3X

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:37 PM

It's been like that for several months there's an audible noise, obvious really, paying attention helps.

#17 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:00 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 01 March 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

edit, it only seems to happen when Radar Deprivation is fitted (and I rarely use it), it seems to happen at about the time the "incoming Missiles" warning goes away, I suspect it is telling me that the Radar Deprivation module has killed a lock (which fits with your video, when the Timber wolf turns away the lights flash), but more testing is required to confirm.

I just followed your suggestion, and it seems you are correct. Though it does not make sense to indicate when a lock is broken. What made me link it to being target was that I was noticing a mech looking at me when I saw the flashes....... See the flashing, look around, see a sneaky light, or other up on a hilltop. Now I am a bit miffed.

This is a fine example of no clarity on game mechanics, and a prime opportunity for those who actually made the game to explain the mechanic. There are so many things left to be stumbled upon.

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 01 March 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#18 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:08 AM

I do agree about mechanical clarity, but when you realize that it's tied to Radar Dep, it does make sense to have it indicate when a lock is broken. That's what Radar Dep does. It breaks locks.

As has been pointed out, there was an actual lock annoucement built in during the early phases, but it was way, way, WAY too chatty. Now, what would be absolutely fantastic is a simple HUD element that indicates when you are currently locked. Just a tiny little light, on or off.

#19 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

View PostBanditman, on 02 March 2015 - 06:08 AM, said:

Now, what would be absolutely fantastic is a simple HUD element that indicates when you are currently locked. Just a tiny little light, on or off.

That would be brilliant. It would add an entire additional level of depth to my hunting. Do I lock target and figure out the weak points at the cost of letting the enemy know that someone can see him, or do I deny my team's LRMers the opportunity for free hits in the name of stealth? Intense. I'd probably target anyway most of the time though. I like knowing the enemy loadout because I dodge ACs differently than lasers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users