Lrm's Viable Now?

22 replies to this topic

#1 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:27 PM

I have not played in a long time so can someone please let me know if LRM's are viable as a solo player looking to be competitive?

Or are they sill crap?

#2 Harrison Kelly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:37 PM

Last I heard, Clan LRMs were severely bugged. I haven't heard any chatter saying that bug was fixed.

I sometimes run IS LRMs in PUG drops and at least at my Elo, they're viciously effective on big 'Mechs caught out of damage, especially on certain maps (cough, Caustic). I find them much less useful in urban/high cover maps (River City, Frozen City, Crimson Strait, Mining Collective, and Viridian Bog), somewhere in between everywhere else.

It's been awhile for me to run in the group queues and I haven't touched CW, but scuttlebutt is that you're better off using the tonnage for something else there. Only at the lower levels of group play did I see LRMs when I was doing groups back in November/December.

#3 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

Depends on who you ask, pretty much two equal camps at either end:

Group A) LRMs are OP and on 70% of all mechs and ruin the game

Group B ) LRM's are a waste of tonnage, not used in competitive play and just about any other weapon you bring is better.

Then in the middle - PUG usage they can be good or bad, depends on the team and the map.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 26 February 2015 - 12:39 PM.

#4 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

In solo land they can be hit or miss depending on your team, your play, and your enemy.

group queue they are tough to use more often than not. really depends on who you drpo with/against.

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Still the binary "feast or famine" weapon they've always been.

#6 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

If you do it right they are fine. A lot of people don't do them right however. They fire full volleys from 900m away expecting to hit. LRMs really should be shot from 300-600m. Make sure you stay on target to keep the lock. Make sure you have advanced radar decay. If you have a build that is reasonable mobile (Mad Dog) equip a NARC. Make sure to use tag if you can. Have a BAP(CAP)...

I'm also of the mind that you really shouldn't rely solely on LRMS and should have some reasonable backup weapons.

Edited by Nori Silverrage, 26 February 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#7 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:41 PM

View Postwintersborn, on 26 February 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

I have not played in a long time so can someone please let me know if LRM's are viable as a solo player looking to be competitive?Or are they sill crap?

If you are a good player, anything is viable. I have zero issues using LRMs.

#8 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:28 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 26 February 2015 - 12:41 PM, said:

If you are a good player, anything is viable. I have zero issues using LRMs.

Ever play against a competitive 12 man like 228 or Lords using LRMs?

#9 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:31 PM

View PostFupDup, on 26 February 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

Still the binary "feast or famine" weapon they've always been.

Yep, LRMs are what they are.

The upcoming LRM velocity quirks will be interesting though.

#10 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 26 February 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Ever play against a competitive 12 man like 228 or Lords using LRMs?

I've seen them use it in brief non-serious situations, but that's far and few in between (you might as well be hunting unicorns).

#11 Astrocanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 642 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:37 PM

View Postwintersborn, on 26 February 2015 - 12:27 PM, said:

I have not played in a long time so can someone please let me know if LRM's are viable as a solo player looking to be competitive?

Or are they sill crap?

I find their usefulness to vary. Sometimes you can get kills or just shake the daylights out of an enemy, other times it works well as a suppression weapon. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten that Atlas / Whale / Krab to duck under cover just by direct firing. I don't score a hit (usually), but I can help out the team that way.

If the idea is "megakill", don't bother. But, yes, they can be useful.

#12 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:16 PM

I just wish I could use them for direct firing to moderate effectiveness.

#13 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:31 PM

So it sounds like they are were they used to be, no buffs since before clan mechs came out etc.

I liked to play support in this game but got bored and pissed at the "Development" so I left. Before finding out that I liked the long range support due to its challenge etc. I ran lights and could always play this game like a shooter with better scores but there are better games for that kind of play.

So my only interest in checking back with the game at all Is if that role is viable as a solo player.

If anything has changed (new mechs, buffs etc.) can someone recommend a good mech/build. Or is it not worth trying if I have already maxed out my old Stalkers and Catapults ?

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by wintersborn, 28 February 2015 - 01:32 PM.

#14 Brody319

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:40 PM

LRMs are not worth it unless you are going to boat them.

Clan LRMs are worse because they fire in a stream so AMS can shoot them down easier.

#15 Signal27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

View PostHarrison Kelly, on 26 February 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

Last I heard, Clan LRMs were severely bugged. I haven't heard any chatter saying that bug was fixed.

What does the bug do?

#16 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:08 PM

Decent to good LRM boaters with a team that can actually fight and not die in 2mins can sh!t out 600-1k dmg still these days.

#17 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:11 PM

My view on LRMs? Not very good against good players, but devastating against bad ones. If you have a decent team to help with spots/NARCs/TAG, it can SEEM op to players not in the know. They are primarily used by me as a harassing/c-bill farming weapon however, at TAG damage/kill bonuses rack up fast.

The only time I've ever seem LRMs become OP is when they take off Kitfoxes legs. They often only take the legs off without seriously removing top armor, because the point of aim for LRMs is too low on that mech.

#18 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:16 PM

you will get a fixed hitrate of 45 percent maximum,good for trolling people,not very effective

#19 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:18 PM

Green..I have noticed LRMS seems to hit legs on all lights mostly. Especially when I drive a light. Reminds me of the old CT days..

#20 Otto Cannon

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:50 PM

If you drop in a pug match as a mostly LRM support mech there's a decent chance of no ECM and few AMS on the other team, in which case you can get some decent damage and maybe a kill or two with missiles if you target players who haven't learned about cover yet. If someone brought ECM and stays with their team then you've wasted the tonnage compared to bringing a direct fire mech instead. The best you can do is use your LRMs as a really slow useless LBX with TAG unless a lone muppet splits from his team's safety bubble and goes solo.

A single launcher can give you some assists for bonus cash but won't do much actual damage and cost you a potential SRM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users