Impulse Purchasing

19 replies to this topic

#1 Burktross

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:58 PM

(With Cbills. I don't want to hear your "waaaah nerf waaaaah" threads about clan packs or resistance packs and whatnot)

Be it hatred or love! What mechs have you bought off a whim? I just bought a King Crab and named it HULK HOGAN without any theory crafting! You guys do the same?

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:09 PM

I bought all three Wolverines cause people were bitching and moaning about how the Quirkening II killed em. Turns out the Wolverines can perform just fine post patch--even better than fine.

Funny thing is, I never thought about purchasing them (always thought of them as inferior versions of Griffins) until the forum QQs started. It was well worth spending those 20 million C-Bills.

Edited by El Bandito, 01 March 2015 - 08:13 PM.

#3 Armorine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:20 PM

Flame dragon..... It was a good purchase haha. Seriously that ac20 hurts liki he'll

#4 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:22 PM

I've dumped prolly 100 mil cbills on junk just to **** with. At one point I had 4 3Ds simply cuz I had nothing to spend cbills on, way back before the Modulesink Extravaganza was put in.

Since returning I've bought 2 Dire Wolves just to 8/8 them and instantly sold them after, in preparation of the 'S' cbill release in April. Should've kept the 'A' for CT turn rate, but I figure what the ****, I don't even like the mech so the only one I'll even use will need max JJs for me to bother with.

I think the only things I truly buy on impulse is **** in mechlab. Like say I only have 1 ERLL but need 4, w/e. I don't think twice about that ****.

Edited by Soy, 01 March 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:24 PM

View PostBurktross, on 01 March 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

(With Cbills. I don't want to hear your "waaaah nerf waaaaah" threads about clan packs or resistance packs and whatnot)

Be it hatred or love! What mechs have you bought off a whim? I just bought a King Crab and named it HULK HOGAN without any theory crafting! You guys do the same?

..... nope. Done it a few times with Hero Mechs though.... (Hello Pretty Baby.... yeah, I'm talking to you....... :angry: )

#6 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:37 PM

BJ-1DC, after it got quirks. Finally, there was some function for this BJ that I had skipped, the one that was slow, the one that didn't have JJs, the one that couldn't really use all of it's hardpoints anyway. It could shoot AC5s fast. It was still too light to have proper amounts of ammo for those, but it suddenly was a fun ride. So, even though I had some actually decent mechs to play with, one day I just bought it.

Then it got nerfed and is again the completely useless BJ variant that nobody ever should use for anything.

I'm not sure if I love or hate the way it was handled. PGI took a mech that had no function, that had no reason to exist in the game, and gave it a minor hint of purpose. Then, despite it not being really OP, they decided, "nah, let's just return it to its useless state."

I'm not a BJ fan. I didn't even drive it enough to get a master slot. But the way it was first fixed, and then returned to rubbish without explanation, that has to be ART, and just can't ever be forgotten. Everytime I see it gathering dust in my mechbay, I remember this, and have a laugh. :)

Edited by Kyynele, 01 March 2015 - 08:41 PM.

#7 Zen Idiot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:39 PM

i bought a Boar's Head when it came out. i still don't know why i did it. anyone wanna buy my Boar's Head?

#8 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:56 PM

jenners... like piloting locusts minus the fun

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

View PostZenIdiot, on 01 March 2015 - 08:39 PM, said:

i bought a Boar's Head when it came out. i still don't know why i did it. anyone wanna buy my Boar's Head?

Try piloting it again. With large class laser GH buffed to three, you can do some serious wubbing.

BOAR'S HEAD Wubcannon

Edited by El Bandito, 01 March 2015 - 11:45 PM.

#10 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:22 PM

Dragons, Battlemasters, and a Stalker 3F.

Out of those, the Battlemaster is the only one I've kept; mostly because I needed space and wasn't playing the others much. I love my Battlemaster 3M, though. It is so agile for an Assault...

#11 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:44 PM

CTF Ilya muromets... wanted to try the 3xUAC5. Haven't piloted in ages.

#12 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,965 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

Trebuchet-LG

Thought it looked like a decent brawler, 2nd hero mech I bought after my arrow (which I still love)..
Turned out to be made of paper I would get armed and legged near instantly, not enough hardpoints and not enough tonnage to make it a threat.

Sold it within a week due to frustration.

#13 MikeBend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 536 posts
  • LocationUnderhive

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:27 PM

Only impulse purchase that i have made was Hellslinger. I do make some curiosity purchaces though, like Vindicators.

Edit: I also bought a Cicada champion yesterday, to sell it for cbills. Decided to get basic skills on it before selling, played a few matches and now decided to keep it. Silly me.

Edited by MikeBend, 01 March 2015 - 11:31 PM.

#14 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:45 PM

View Postorcrist86, on 01 March 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

jenners... like piloting locusts minus the fun

This is like the exact opposite of a correct opinion.

Unless you're a suicidal lunatic. If so, Locust away you crazy idiot.

#15 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:43 PM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 01 March 2015 - 11:45 PM, said:

This is like the exact opposite of a correct opinion.

Unless you're a suicidal lunatic. If so, Locust away you crazy idiot.

Locusts are people too!

#16 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:45 PM

View PostMister D, on 01 March 2015 - 09:49 PM, said:

Trebuchet-LG

Thought it looked like a decent brawler, 2nd hero mech I bought after my arrow (which I still love)..
Turned out to be made of paper I would get armed and legged near instantly, not enough hardpoints and not enough tonnage to make it a threat.

Sold it within a week due to frustration.

That's why in BT, the tabletop game, it was known as the "Trashbucket"

#17 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

I impulse-buy anything that is decent after I impulse-wait for a sale, so long as I have done enough impulse-grinding in advance.

#18 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:15 PM

My Impulse purchase was a Pirates Bane and two other Locust during the Hero mech sale.
I'm a decent Jenner pilot but the Locusts are damn tough for me to pilot, I should never have brought the 1V - it was a ******* to level. I though it may be a fun little ride because "lol MGs" but it was more frustrating than anything.

Edited by Troutmonkey, 02 March 2015 - 03:21 PM.

#19 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:18 PM

View PostBurktross, on 01 March 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

I just bought a King Crab and named it HULK HOGAN

YES good name I approve

I bought my Stalkers because of a dream I had about piloting Stalkers (was an awesome dream, but physics started to break near the end). Not sure that counts as impulse purchasing though.

#20 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

Haha I am impulsive purchaser of modules, I have repeatedly used gxp and cbills to unlock and buy modules run a build once decide i don't like it and strip the mech.

I now own just about every weapon mod available

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users