Why Dont They Just Do A Matchscore Based Tournament?

21 replies to this topic

#1 AntiCitizenJuan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:27 PM

I dont see why this isnt the most optimal way to do a tournament,

like get a minimum matchscore of X in Y games to get Z

You can do events one weekend where you have to get 50 match score for 20 games,
and you can do events another weekend where you have to get at least 100 match score for 5 games

etc

It doesnt change anyones regular behavior and it promotes good play.
There's no win condition besides playing well.

Did no one think of this?

Edited by AntiCitizenJuan, 01 March 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#2 Kaeb Odellas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:30 PM

They've done it before. I'm not sure why they want to stick to this "Get 1 Kill, 1 Assist, etc." nonsense.

I suppose they think the formula is too complicated for the average player, but these are the folks that brought us ghost heat, so I dunno.

#3 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:35 PM

/signed.

Another per class challenge would be nice, ladders for IS Light, Clan Light, IS Medium, Clan Medium, etc etc ... all based on match score.
Average match score over a maximum of 100 games. At the very least it would be a good way to destructively test the match score system to see if there's any ways to exploit it.

#4 Zoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:36 PM

I believe the complaint is that it's easier to get a high match score in a heavier 'mech, thus making the light queue even smaller. Sneaking in for a single kill in a light isn't that hard by comparison.

#5 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:47 PM

Get 10000 or 15000 damage and have a free mech would be my idea of an ideal challenge. It would fit in well with CW too, unlike the current challenge which would take twice as long playing CW.

The only issue I can think of is everyone running LRMs, but that happens anyway.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:55 PM

I think the kill+win+survive challenge was the best. But that's just me.

#7 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:37 AM

View PostZoid, on 01 March 2015 - 05:36 PM, said:

I believe the complaint is that it's easier to get a high match score in a heavier 'mech, thus making the light queue even smaller. Sneaking in for a single kill in a light isn't that hard by comparison.

Easy... get 40 in a light, 50 in meds, 60 in heavy and 70 in assault.

Earn a warhorn as light, a cupckae as a medium, a statue as a heavy and a hula girl as assault. Look, I just balanced the waiting queue, too!

I'm all for match score challenges, everyone would work their ass of instead of suiciding. Ok maybe we'll see more LRMs but hey, we always see more LRMs on challenges.

#8 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:45 AM

View PostMystere, on 01 March 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

I liked it the best as well.

Though I think solokill+win+survive would have been even better, or killmostdamagedealt+win+survive, because killing blow by itself is pretty meaningless.

I also like the idea of using matchscore, and I would make the treshold slightly above the players own average score. So for example beat matchscore X+20 times Y to gain Z, where X is your average matchscore.

That way it would scale and present a personal challenge for each player to improve rather than just favouring the best through a static measure.

#9 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:49 AM

High match scores are easy in lights, one well placed uav 3kills 9assist 400dmg and bingo you win a prize..

#10 Milocinia

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:20 AM

Yep they have done a matchscore based challenge/tourney before and it was the best one they've ever done because it required no real change to gameplay to get results out of it.

This challenge has got to be the worst on record.

#11 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:26 AM

View PostAntiCitizenJuan, on 01 March 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

I dont see why this isnt the most optimal way to do a tournament,

like get a minimum matchscore of X in Y games to get Z

You can do events one weekend where you have to get 50 match score for 20 games,
and you can do events another weekend where you have to get at least 100 match score for 5 games

etc

It doesnt change anyones regular behavior and it promotes good play.
There's no win condition besides playing well.

Did no one think of this?

A lot of it comes from the fact that PGI doesn't really play or understand it's own game. They act like they're the "baseline average" for everything, so they don't really think things through farther than how it would operate for them.

Either that or they simply have no clue.

Considering the vast number of "temporary fixes" that have become permanent (JJ nerfs, Gauss mechanic, ghost heat), I'm leaning toward the "clueless" explanation.

#12 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:42 AM

Score based challenges?

Posted Image

#13 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:49 AM

They did that for the Xmas Stocking Stuffer event: https://mwomercs.com...=201412stocking

1 point was scored for every battle players made 30 match score or better in normal modes, 80 match score or better in CW battles.
The event also ran for 2 weeks, giving everyone plenty of time to earn a large number of points.

#14 AntiCitizenJuan

• 1,440 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostZergling, on 02 March 2015 - 03:49 AM, said:

They did that for the Xmas Stocking Stuffer event: https://mwomercs.com...=201412stocking

1 point was scored for every battle players made 30 match score or better in normal modes, 80 match score or better in CW battles.
The event also ran for 2 weeks, giving everyone plenty of time to earn a large number of points.

And that was hands down the best event in the game and it didnt change anyones playstyle.
They dont have to be that generous with the rewards (they need to make money somehow)
for every tourney, but that scoring system is the best way to go about creating participation without changing the gameplay too much. This kind of "bottom-line" requirement makes for better tournaments.

On light mechs, they just need to make scout role bonuses apply better to match score.
If you've been spotting all game and are responsible for a lot of damage being done in that sense, you should get match score for it. Maybe even make it so the boost in matchscore only applies to Light mechs and a few designated Medium mechs (Cicada, etc), and everyone else just gets the CBills and XP.

Edited by AntiCitizenJuan, 02 March 2015 - 09:30 AM.

#15 Dimento Graven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

View PostMystere, on 01 March 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

LOL, I feel the exact opposite.

#16 Belazaar

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

This is from another thread I posted in.

I believe using team stats would improve play.

I’m not sure what these would look like, but things that if the team was successful should mean the they should be the winner.

Such as the combined damage of the team minus team damage.
Total number of assist for the team.
Quickest time to complete the objective.

Or incentives for a member to take up command and use the command map and incentives for members to follow the leader.

So when the team meets the standards, then the whole team gets a point. If they don’t then nobody gets a point.

#17 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:59 AM

Match score based events are by FAR the best, because they promote just playing normally and at your best.

Make it an 80+ score in regular queue, and 120 in CW. It's so simple.

#18 Zakizdaman

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 15 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCalgary, Ab, Canada

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:09 AM

They most likely did this event to test the playerbase, see reactions, see how the event would run etc etc. I think it's been a pretty negative outcome for everyone though lol

#19 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:28 AM

View PostBelazaar, on 02 March 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

This is from another thread I posted in.

I believe using team stats would improve play.

I’m not sure what these would look like, but things that if the team was successful should mean the they should be the winner.

Such as the combined damage of the team minus team damage.
Total number of assist for the team.
Quickest time to complete the objective.

Or incentives for a member to take up command and use the command map and incentives for members to follow the leader.

So when the team meets the standards, then the whole team gets a point. If they don’t then nobody gets a point.

It would be interesting to see an event where the team scores overall determine how many points an individual will get, with each individual having to hit a certain, reasonable threshold to take part in any of the rewards.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:34 AM

Lets be honest here.
PGI is collecting data on the current state of balance in the game.
All these challenges means people will bring out the most troublesome 'instant win' min/max loadouts they can to get through it quickly. The conditions make it so that you have to do this - AND - make it out alive and win. So we have the heaviest offending builds we can possibly get out there.

Meanwhile, PGI be like, "We're rollin' in the data! Get the nerf bats ready!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users