Major League Mechwarrior - $1500+ Cash Prize

72 replies to this topic

#21 Soy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:41 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 02 March 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

I've always been around. I'm just on Outreach these days. I just can't handle the official forums anymore.

Man, it's not like reddit is a paragon of the internet... in fact outside of spots like Outreach or whatnot, it's pretty much the worst aspects all centralized. xD

Good to see you again tho, I'll keep an eye on this.

I pimp to eat, so, this might be something I'm keen on.

#22 Artgathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

Does anyone else realize that it's really difficult to gather 750 resources on Conquest in 10 minutes? Setting up a league to be more strategic by playing 10 minute conquest matches on the smallest maps in the game doesn't seem all that strategic.

#23 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

Cool. Spread the word guys.

One question: Will videos be uploaded to youtube? I'd like to watch more league games, but they are often only uploaded to twitch which is soooo horribly slow on video buffering that i can't watch most matches if i miss them.

#24 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 02 March 2015 - 01:36 PM, said:

I've always been around. I'm just on Outreach these days. I just can't handle the official forums anymore.

I should head over there. I dont blame you at all. The last time I saw you was around the time everyone was voting for some sort of community liaison to fix the ECM thing, you were a clear obvious choice. When that went no where, and you werent around anymore, figured you finally had enough.

Im glad to see youre still here, I hope this works. We need the help.

Looking forward to participating.

#25 FrDrake

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:54 PM

View PostArtgathan, on 02 March 2015 - 01:48 PM, said:

Does anyone else realize that it's really difficult to gather 750 resources on Conquest in 10 minutes? Setting up a league to be more strategic by playing 10 minute conquest matches on the smallest maps in the game doesn't seem all that strategic.

At timeout doesn't most resources win? Seems like the spirit of the match is still intact.

#26 Artgathan

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostFrDrake, on 02 March 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

At timeout doesn't most resources win? Seems like the spirit of the match is still intact.

Does it? I've never had a conquest match timeout (that I remember)

#27 SovietArmada

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:03 PM

Er, awesome. Can it be people from different units pooled together (I.E Dont need to leave my unit)?

And um, assuming this is legal, I'd love to merc myself off to a team :D.

#28 Nori Silverrage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 332 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:21 PM

View PostSovietArmada, on 02 March 2015 - 02:03 PM, said:

Er, awesome. Can it be people from different units pooled together (I.E Dont need to leave my unit)?

Yeah I am wondering this as well. I love my unit, but I don't think I could get 15-18 to commit.

#29 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

View PostSoy, on 02 March 2015 - 01:41 PM, said:

Man, it's not like reddit is a paragon of the internet... in fact outside of spots like Outreach or whatnot, it's pretty much the worst aspects all centralized. xD

Good to see you again tho, I'll keep an eye on this.

I pimp to eat, so, this might be something I'm keen on.

Holy **** it's Soy. Haven't seen you around in forever o/

Believe me, reddit can be a cesspool, but there's at least 50% less stupid. Downvotes hide most of the stupidity, you don't see the same ******* thread 12 times in 2 days, and I don't have to worry about the mods coming down on me. Except Siri >_<

This is an event built for players like you. Scrape together a team and show these ******* kids how it's done.

View PostArtgathan, on 02 March 2015 - 01:48 PM, said:

The team with more points wins. It's primarily there to prevent stalemates and camping.

View Postmeteorol, on 02 March 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

Cool. Spread the word guys.

One question: Will videos be uploaded to youtube? I'd like to watch more league games, but they are often only uploaded to twitch which is soooo horribly slow on video buffering that i can't watch most matches if i miss them.

You should check out the MechWarrior: Online League Network. We'll have match times posted as far ahead as we can, we'll ideally have shoutcasting for a lot of matches, and we will absolutely have Youtube videos up afterwards.

View PostKraftySOT, on 02 March 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

I should head over there. I dont blame you at all. The last time I saw you was around the time everyone was voting for some sort of community liaison to fix the ECM thing, you were a clear obvious choice. When that went no where, and you werent around anymore, figured you finally had enough.

Im glad to see youre still here, I hope this works. We need the help.

Looking forward to participating.

I'd been gone for almost a year before that happened. I came back for that because I cared about doing it right - not about being a part of it. But then it fizzled, and I headed back to Outreach.

View PostSovietArmada, on 02 March 2015 - 02:03 PM, said:

You can compose teams from any combination of units. We'd love to see a bunch of unit-less PUGs making a group and giving it a go. I doubt player sharing is allowed, though (one player can't be on two entered teams).

#30 Darklord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 235 posts
  • LocationChicago Battletech Center

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:39 PM

So i take it everyone is eligible to be in it even the ones who are running it?

#31 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:55 PM

View PostDarklord, on 02 March 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

So i take it everyone is eligible to be in it even the ones who are running it?

That's why I'm running it. Heimdelight wanted to make the tournament he wanted to compete in, but he didn't want any potential conflicts of interest. QQ will almost assuredly compete, but I won't personally be involved as a player. Some may claim a conflict of interest because I'm a part of QQ, but I'd like to think my community-wide reputation will assuage the fears of most.

Those that don't know me will either have to do a little research or judge by how smoothly this goes. I intend to be transparent about everything (donations, any decisions I have to arbitrate, etc.), and hopefully the way we operate things will lend credibility to this format.

#32 Hobo Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 597 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

I just don't have time to participate, but I'll be watching.

Very excited!

#33 Adiuvo

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:07 PM

:D

#34 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

Not a comp player but I definitely will be watching these matches. Glad to see the initiative being taken to do something like this. Should be good for the game in many ways.

#35 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:12 PM

Sounds interesting Bill. Could be a lot of fun.

But....... How are you going to ensure nobody cheats ?

Not trolling here, but reality is just that, reality.

As much as PGI hates the fact and brushes things like this under the carpet, there are hacks out for this game.

And as we all should know, when real money is on the line, people will cheat, it is the way of the modern world that integrity matters not one bit to most people.

This would be my greatest concern. However I do wish you luck in this event.

#36 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:15 PM

Makes me wish I was good enough to compete with the real meta of this game.

#37 Peter2000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:18 PM

View PostBobzilla, on 02 March 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Is this legal? I know i couldn't hold a poker tournament.

There's no buy-in.

#38 Zfailboat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 183 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:23 PM

If PGI would normalise pings I as an Aussie would form a team. but whilst I am playing 0.2 - 0.3 seconds behind the rest of the world MWO remains "Fun and casual" for me.

#39 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:31 PM

Cool idea. I know I'd like to watch - definitely not good enough to play in the big leagues.
Anything to generate more interest and get people playing MWO, I'm all for it. I don't see this as something to generate discontent. The guys who will compete in this are generally going to be more professional and serious about their play and the attitudes will likely reflect that. Sure, there will always be the occasional childlike antics from someone who is a savant at this game and has little else they can gloat about, but that shouldn't detract from the overall concept or the competition itself.

Leave the attitudes and ego at the door, and focus all energy on winning. Get your bragging rights and whatever other prizes offered at the conclusion. The guys that will really make names for themselves are the winners that win a tough fight and act like it's no big deal, like they do it every day.

It is much like professional sports. You can tell the guys who are the real pros because they don't do excessive and ridiculous celebrations after every tackle. They just do their job and move on, like it's routine for them to sack the quarterback for a 15 yard loss. Those guys are the ones that get respect.

#40 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:50 PM

View PostDirk Le Daring, on 02 March 2015 - 05:12 PM, said:

But....... How are you going to ensure nobody cheats ?

We encourage at least one streamer per team, a lot of matches will be shoutcasted and spectated, and the current set of competitive teams is extremely well-established. There have been no instances of cheating in competitive leagues that I'm aware of, and I can guarantee you any fresh roster that starts winning will be scrutinized closely.

If there's ever suspicion, we launch an investigation and call on PGI for assistance. In the meantime, it's definitely not something I'm worried about based on years of empirical evidence.

View PostXetelian, on 02 March 2015 - 05:15 PM, said:

Makes me wish I was good enough to compete with the real meta of this game.

View PostZfailboat, on 02 March 2015 - 05:23 PM, said:

If PGI would normalise pings I as an Aussie would form a team. but whilst I am playing 0.2 - 0.3 seconds behind the rest of the world MWO remains "Fun and casual" for me.

View PostDino Might, on 02 March 2015 - 05:31 PM, said:

Cool idea. I know I'd like to watch - definitely not good enough to play in the big leagues.

You may feel that way, but I highly encourage you all to at least consider competing. So what if you're not that good or have a horrible ping or probably won't win? Competitive play is the highlight of this game. It's such a team-oriented affair that it plays entirely differently with 11 other coordinated people and a drop commander giving real orders.

Once you escape from the chaos of PUGs and into real matches when you feel like what you do has real consequences, you feel alive. It's great fun, and you'll never learn more in a single match - even if you're getting stomped.

That said, I know it's no fun to get stomped. I know it's demoralizing to know you won't win one of the prizes. And that's why I'm trying to get PGI to cough up some small prizes for lower places, participation, new teams, and other stuff. I want this to be an event that not only invigorates the existing competitive community, but one that broadens its base.

View PostDino Might, on 02 March 2015 - 05:31 PM, said:

It is much like professional sports. You can tell the guys who are the real pros because they don't do excessive and ridiculous celebrations after every tackle. They just do their job and move on, like it's routine for them to sack the quarterback for a 15 yard loss. Those guys are the ones that get respect.

You say that, but it's not always true. Michael Jordan was a massive **** to his competitors. He liked to talk ****, play mind games, and humiliate his opponents. Read some of these:

“‘I’m coming down. I’m going to dribble it between my legs twice. I’m going to pump fake and then I’m going to shoot a jumper. And then I’m going to look at you.’ And that’s exactly what he did.”

LORD JORDAN ggclose

Though I know most people would prefer humble, relatable heroes that epitomize sportsmanship, it's just not always the case. The best are sometimes the cockiest and loudest. It turns some people off, but I always need a character to hate. Someone has to be the villain, and I think arrogant players provide that. Some people like to play mind games, and I think it's legitimate at a high level. Not that I'm endorsing douchebaggery or talking **** to scrubs - just giving some perspective on an issue where most people seem to revile arrogant, combative players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users