Balance

4 replies to this topic

#1 Grimm Peaper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEnjoys long walks with Assault mechs

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:47 PM

What would you like to see as a DFA ability? Would you select an area that you land and whatever is near that area takes damage? Or would you select a mech to target and you jumped to that mech? Would you guide it in as you jumped? or would it be a set target with a % chance of success? People often talk about DFA, especially for the highlander, but no one really ever says how they expect it to operate.

Also, would you give up the ability to shoot while jumping if it meant that you could jump much longer distances, such as the distances listed for TT?

#2 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:26 PM

Imagine all the rage with DFA when lag drops you on top of allies, and instead of the rubberband fest we get know - one of you dies or falls down and then dies from enemy fire.

DFA seems like a nice idea but I don't really trust PGI to get it right first time

#3 SuomiWarder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:30 PM

I wish DFA damage was in place. Don't jump uselessly around your allies and accidental damage is not an issue. Been in jump capable mechs that lost all their weapons more than once, and have had time when jumping on an enemy standing in a gropu of enemies would be fun - if it had any effect.

#4 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

DFA is an impossibility with the current implementation of JJs, much as it hurts to say - especially for the Highlander. It can barely jump as high as another 'mech with a full complement of JJs, so how on earth would it be able to execute a DFA attack?

Remember, in TT a Highlander could execute a DFA from 120 meters away - try, just try to imagine that with MWO's implementation of jump jets.

They would have to re-engineer jump jets from the ground up for it to work. And they're never going to do that, because they're deadly afraid of a re-emergence of jump sniping.

They would also have to implement proper collision damage, which they so far been loath to do.

Finally, they would have to implement some kind of fall mechanic (and more importantly, standing up mechanic), and judging by their previous effort at that, I'm not sure I trust them to do that in a sane fashion.

More's the pity, I really want DFA in MWO, along with the other physical attacks - punching, kicking, and charging. Alas, it is not to be :(

Now if - IF - they were to redesign jump jets so they worked more along the lines of BattleTech jump jets, I'd like DFA to work like this:
* You target an enemy, and if it's in range of your jump jets you can press the DFA button.
* Your weapons all go on cooldown and you launch at your target's location (hopefully it's still there when you land...)
* At the top of your jump, you get control back over your 'mech (but not your weapons), enabling you to maneuver for the descent phase.
* If you hit the target, you damage it and your legs. You both probably fall down.

Please note that this all contain lots of mechanics not currently in MWO, like the ability to maneuver in mid-jump, collision damage, and fall mechanics.

Edited by stjobe, 02 March 2015 - 03:53 PM.

#5 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:25 PM

The way jump jets trail off in MWO makes it a diminishing return to add more after the first as I recall. I wasn't around for the biggest jump snipe fest but I do know people can still do it if they really really want to. I never understood how people cry so much about a tactic like sniping or light rushing generators. If it's a tactic in the game you can do it too and you can find a way to counter it that doesn't involve crying to the developers.

Neutered jump jets are made worse by the fact you get stuck on so much terrain. On many mechs they're no good for actually jumping but they are needed to hop pebbles and climb hills. Actually going up over a log, much less a ledge, forget it. And even mechs that can jump high can get hung up on terrain trying to jump - for instance it's always been tricky jumping out of the water in river city because of the overhanging lips - if you even touch them on the side of your mech you can't get out.

I would love to see jump jets that were more powerful. I do think my 12JJ Spider 5v would end up flying into the sun on Vitric Forge, though :)

Oh and as for how DFA should work? I would not support making it any easier. Just let collision damage work and jump jets work. If you can jump up high and land proper, you do damage. Simple. Keep it to pilot skill, don't have the computer do it for you.

Edited by Anachronda, 25 September 2015 - 01:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users